Discussion...should it be censored if it's not what you want to he

Haha, don't we know it Jeff. I think the both of us spent all of last summer being called haters or un-educated in one form or another.

yes, but you're speaking of conversations other than just you and I going back and forth at each other right?

:tongue:

yes, but you're speaking of conversations other than just you and I going back and forth at each other right?

:tongue:

Exactly. I'm talking about all of those discussions from over the summer regarding some championship winning shows. :ph34r:

We've been pretty civilized here, for the most part

What gets someone called a hater is not what they say but how they say it.

Check out the 3 best/3 worst thread. OP asked for what people thought was best and worst DCI ideas. Someone actually #####ed when people listed something he liked as one of the "worst". The people who listed only said what that idea was without any sermonizing (IOW - did what the OP requested).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I have noticed that some here don't like the idea of a discussion forum where they may have to actually read what other people think about something. A few things:

1) If opposing discussion were not heard would amplification be judged this year? (I don't mean simply DCP BTW)

2) Would the forum be boring because it would be nothing more than a general back patting and re-affirmation feel good place?

People never read anything longer then a couple sentences. And even if they read your well thought out, well written argument on X, they will pick one thing (usually having nothing to do with the core of the argument) and pick on that.

1) Nothing would change if this forum didn't exist.

2) No.

Exactly. I'm talking about all of those discussions from over the summer regarding some UNDEFEATED championship winning shows. :ph34r:

We've been pretty civilized here, for the most part

Fixed!

Except that's not the reality. Maybe back in the day, DCI set the rules where you had to use G bugles, and electronics were illegal, but if I remember correctly, under current rules, it allows for ANY-KEY!

And with 12 of them to choose from, every single world-class corps uses F middle voices and Bb for all else. And to get there, they all (well, except for Academy) had to switch from G to Bb/F.

That means, Bb, G, F, whatever you want.

No, it doesn't. The rule says "any-key". In practice, thou shalt use Bb/F, if thou wants any chance of being competitive in world-class.

• Like 2

I have noticed that some people think only in binary absolutes: G is good, therefore Bb is bad; accoustic is good, therefore electronic is bad; marching is good, dance is bad.

Reality should be more nuanced than that. It is possible to love one thing and still appreciate something else. That's worth discussing.

HH

Why should someone's opinion be discounted if they dislike something? If I loathe pretentious prancing or hackneyed theatrics played on Bb horns while accompanied by over-amped electronics on the field then I should be able to express it as well as someone who feels oppositely. I can understand a hot or cold response far more than luke warm pandering.

no judge will ever say you're being scored lower because you don't have a synth.

I notice you worded that very carefully. You didn't say "no judge will ever score you lower because you don't have a synth"... you said "no judge will ever SAY you're being scored lower because you don't have a synth." Interesting.

• Like 4