Inconvenience Fees!

Would it be inappropriate and unlady-like to say that these "convenience fees" that DCI (and others) charge suck?

I bought some $10 tickets to the show in Madison and then I get hit with another $3.50 (35 percent!) per ticket from DCI for some kind of "convenience." I'm not sure what that even means?

Yeah, yeah...I know...I didn't have to purchase them, but I did because I'm an old softie. You may ask, "hey Grandma, why are you griping? You got $10 tickets you cheapskate!" To which I reply, "Kiss my wrinkled butt! I spent well over $1,000 last year on a show (premium tickets and travel) that was rained out and had the same thing happen the year before. My new personal drum corps policy is that I'm only going to shows within an hour or two of the home and I'm buying the cheap tickets!"

• Like 4

Would it be inappropriate and unlady-like to say that these "convenience fees" that DCI (and others) charge suck?

I bought some $10 tickets to the show in Madison and then I get hit with another $3.50 (35 percent!) per ticket from DCI for some kind of "convenience." I'm not sure what that even means?

Yeah, yeah...I know...I didn't have to purchase them, but I did because I'm an old softie. You may ask, "hey Grandma, why are you griping? You got $10 tickets you cheapskate!" To which I reply, "Kiss my wrinkled butt! I spent well over $1,000 last year on a show (premium tickets and travel) that was rained out and had the same thing happen the year before. My new personal drum corps policy is that I'm only going to shows within an hour or two of the home and I'm buying the cheap tickets!"

It would be nice to know what this below the line fee is really for. Perhaps they should just bundle that into the purchase price?

Don't worry, this is happening in everything from Cable bills and cellphone to your local water bill. It's a way to charge more while still acting like you're giving value.

• Like 2

Hey Granny!

I'll see ya in Madison!

Can't wait - don't know which was better last year, the show on the field or the verbal battles in the top rows of the stands.

...hoping for good weather soon!

Know what sucks even more than convience fees?

SNOW!

Since it's my shows that are being referenced, I'll answer:

Convenience fees cover the infrastructure necessary to support the on-line ticketing service that allows fans to select their seat, process their order, and print and mail the tickets to them.

The base ticket price covers the venue, the corps' appearance fees and management of the event.

One could make a good argument that the price of the ticket should just be stated in an all-inclusive form...in this case $13.50. However, Ticketmaster has really set the industry convention for stating ticket prices and has set the standard by stating the costs separately. We've opted to follow suit.

The tickets for Drums on Parade and The Whitewater Classic are managed through the DCI ticket service which is managing many of the DCI events this summer (except those in stadiums required to be managed by Ticketmaster). So whether it's the base ticket price or the convenience fee, it's all going to the costs for running these shows.

That may or may not help, but at least it give you an understanding of the details.

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

Madison Scouts

• Like 2

the same fees are attached to just about every concert/thatre/performance event of any type anywhere.

I have to tell you however... The country as a whole was MUCH MUCH happier when the salespeople ran things. It seems things have been turned over to the CPA's of the world who have ZERO saavy when it comes to making people good about what they pay for ANYTHING...

EXAMPLES:

1) Additional baggage fees at the Airlines. Instead of just charging EVERYONE an additional $1.50 per bag in their ticket without telling them you just raise the price $1.50 and all is handled... But what the CPS's do is shove up the YOUKNOWWHAT of the public that you have to pay an additional $25.00 for your bag... X number of dollars for your snack or beverage etc. It is pretty stupid actually.

2) Convenience fees for ticket purchases... It should just be built into the price rather than once again shoving it up the YOUKNOWWHAT of the public... People react better when nothing is forced up their YOUKNOWWHAT and then pointed out to them just how far! :devil:

Edited by Big Bad Bari
  • Like 2

Since it's my shows that are being referenced, I'll answer:

Convenience fees cover the infrastructure necessary to support the on-line ticketing service that allows fans to select their seat, process their order, and print and mail the tickets to them.

The base ticket price covers the venue, the corps' appearance fees and management of the event.

One could make a good argument that the price of the ticket should just be stated in an all-inclusive form...in this case $13.50. However, Ticketmaster has really set the industry convention for stating ticket prices and has set the standard by stating the costs separately. We've opted to follow suit.

The tickets for Drums on Parade and The Whitewater Classic are managed through the DCI ticket service which is managing many of the DCI events this summer (except those in stadiums required to be managed by Ticketmaster). So whether it's the base ticket price or the convenience fee, it's all going to the costs for running these shows.

That may or may not help, but at least it give you an understanding of the details.

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

Madison Scouts

Thanks, Chris, and I can verify that this is CrownTicket's procedure as well. The $17.00 ticket to our show has a $2.50 convenience fee. While we used to handle ticketing to our show ourselves, the time, effort, phone-banks, computer time, mailing effort, will call, etc, etc, (not to mention the volunteers needed) make the fee well worthwhile to the show coordinators. Plus, in today's electronic world, CrownTickets puts up venue pics and a "pick your seat" option that we simply couldn't offer in the old days.

And, well, someone's got to pay for all that. tongue.gif

(Edit: And No, I don't work for CrownTickets, but I'm very happy with their service!)

Edited by garfield

So the ticket really should be $2, with a $3 venue fee, a $3 corps appearance fee, a $2 management fee, and a $3.50 convenience fee. Or maybe make the management fee $4, that way the ticket is free! I need to go into marketing.

I have to tell you however... The country as a whole was MUCH MUCH happier when the salespeople ran things. It seems things have been turned over to the CPA's of the world who have ZERO saavy when it comes to making people good about what they pay for ANYTHING...

EXAMPLES:

1) Additional baggage fees at the Airlines. Instead of just charging EVERYONE an additional $1.50 per bag in their ticket without telling them you just raise the price $1.50 and all is handled... But what the CPS's do is shove up the YOUKNOWWHAT of the public that you have to pay an additional $25.00 for your bag... X number of dollars for your snack or beverage etc. It is pretty stupid actually.

2) Convenience fees for ticket purchases... It should just be built into the price rather than once again shoving it up the YOUKNOWWHAT of the public... People react better when nothing is forced up their YOUKNOWWHAT and then pointed out to them just how far! :devil:

well after 4/1, mortgage reps and other forms of commissioned sales people won't be running for anything but a new job. gotta love how government can hit everyone's paycheck but theirs