So far, I'm not really liking 2011

Yeah... but youre not the person DCI needs to be targeting.

DCI doesn't dictate when corps release information about their shows. They don't dictate what programs they should do either.

Both of which seem to be the OP's basis for skipping out on 2011.

DCI doesn't dictate when corps release information about their shows. They don't dictate what programs they should do either.

Both of which seem to be the OP's basis for skipping out on 2011.

In this case 'dci' is another word for 'all the corps'.. as thats what DCI is, the corps.

So you're saying that

a) people plan on going to shows (non-Championship week) 4-5 months in advance. MAYBE this is the case with the big regionals, but this is certainly not the norm for the local shows

4-5 months might be a bit much, but I bet something like 3 months is common. Maybe not everyone plans that far ahead, but for a lot of people, it's a pretty significant expenditure of time and money to go to a show, not something where you can just say Thursday afternoon "hey, let's go to a drum corps show this weekend!".

b) the average drum corps show-attending fans go to a show based on music corps play and not the 'reputation,' history, or design trends of a corps. I would stipulate that the average drum corps show-attending fans (of which the majority do NOT frequent DCP) goes to a show to either see a friend/family member who is marching with a corps. Or people going to shows based on the past success of a corps (for example, if a show has several Finalist corps, or better yet several Top 5 corps.

Sorry if I didn't phrase it clearly, but I was actually trying to say the exact opposite of that - for people who already know what to expect from a drum corps show, I doubt they're making many choices based on a corps's repertoire. Rather, like you said, they're probably going because they like drum corps in general, have friends/family there, etc.

My contention is that the total offseason silence by most corps is a big disadvantage when you're trying to convince new people to go to a drum corps show, either people you know personally or via some kind of advertisement campaign. If they don't know what drum corps is/have never been to a show, it's not going to do much good to say "Come to a DCI show! There'll be awesome drum corps, playing.... drum corps music!". If you can put specific repertoire out there, especially if it's well-known stuff, you might get someone to say "hey, I know that piece!" or "you know, that music looks pretty cool, I'll give it a shot". Without a list of repertoire, drum corps looks like a big expensive unknown to people who've never been to a show before.

In this case 'dci' is another word for 'all the corps'.. as thats what DCI is, the corps.

Splitting hairs... Should there be a deadline for corps to announce their shows?

Regardless, the OP is a no win situation. Those corps that aren't releasing information about their shows are doing a poor job marketing, and those that are releasing information about their shows are choosing shows OP doesn't want to see.

Yes, of the shows that have been released, many of them are "darker" in nature. But are we to expect each corps director to contact every other director to check and see what they're doing or not doing so as to make sure there is a wide variety of concepts on the field?

Just imagine what that would turn into.... "Cavies, you haven't announced yet and the only concept category DCI has left is 'fluffy bunny unicorns'. ... Good luck with that."

I'm sorry. But judging shows based on titles and concepts and YouTube gym clips is nothing more than an excuse to be hating on modern drum corps.

• Like 2

Wait a minute, this is drum corps, everything has to be dark and evil.

I don't know... but when I saw and heard Crown, Phantom, BK, Madison, Cadets with Geoff, several other Corps last year, " dark and evil " wasn't the vibe I got at all.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't know... but when I saw and heard Crown, Phantom, BK, Madison, Cadets with Geoff, several other Corps last year, " dark and evil " wasn't the vibe I got at all.

First half of Phantoms show was dark...... :tongue:

Yes, of the shows that have been released, many of them are "darker" in nature. But are we to expect each corps director to contact every other director to check and see what they're doing or not doing so as to make sure there is a wide variety of concepts on the field?

The magic question (At least for me) is....why do so many corps (world and open class) present these 'darker' shows ? Why has 'darker' practically dominated the musical DCI landscape? Trend ? Well....it's been many a year we have seen a prominent amount of darker shows.....probably more than just a trend....seems more like a new standard. Just a couple of seasons ago BK's director said "The darker and stranger our shows got...the higher we placed". Thankfully they changed gears (ala 2010) and won over a few fans (myself included...bought my first BK souvenir last summer)

Edited by Triple Forte

Honestly, I think that while those of us who live and breathe drum corps look forward to the announcements, I would be willing to bet a member's tuition that if you took a poll at the gate of, say, the River City Rhapsody in LaCrosse, 85 to 90% of the people walking thru that gate wouldn't be able to tell you the theme of 3 of the corps shows on that day.

I think that more important than marketing a particular show, we (us fanatics as well as DCI in general) need to market the concept and shows as a whole. Go to a hs band director and offer to take 6 kids to a local show. Do it now, before school is out. Give the band director the show info and maybe a DVD of your favorite corps to show the band kids. Keep in contact with the director and get those kids to a show. Word spreads if they like it. Thats the best marketing tool of all.

Edited by bearz

The magic question (At least for me) is....why do so many corps (world and open class) present these 'darker' shows ? Why has 'darker' practically dominated the musical DCI landscape? Trend ? Well....it's been many a year we have seen a prominent amount of darker shows.....probably more than just a trend....seems more like a new standard. Just a couple of seasons ago BK's director said "The darker and stranger our shows got...the higher we placed". Thankfully they changed gears (ala 2010) and won over a few fans (myself included...bought my first BK souvenir last summer)

Perhaps it's our definition of what constitutes a "dark" show, but I just looked back at the past top 12 shows since 2007 and I don't see any trend whatsoever towards dark.