So far, I'm not really liking 2011

absolutely not. But maybe updates on where the corps is at musically, visually, concepet wise during the off season would be good enough. If the corps can't release information because of copyright issues, then why can't they just say so? If they decide to remove one of the pieces they will be playing, why not just say so? If they are learning drill, or a new piece at camp, why not just say so?

Informing the public isn't about the corps setting up "expectations" for themselves and then trying to reach it. It's just about communication.

Does anyone remember that announcement back in September (september!) from the Cadets saying that their show was going to called "MOVE" and it was going to be about dancing? They were going to play "Sing Sing Sing" and "Danza Finale" ect.

http://www.yea.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=18803&news_iv_ctrl=1002

this was was just a planning phase but they STILL shared this information with us. Now they are doing something COMPLETELY different. So, its clear that corps CAN be more "transparent" when it comes to their design plans and thoughts from the upcoming season. And its clear that some corps just don't think that's important. And clearly that early September announcement was definitely not "fulfilled" and that doesn't matter. What matters is they kept the public in the loop, even when things were uncertain.

Bingo !!!

Communication is key folks.....

I know some wont like this but....

Sometimes I wish I lived near where a major dci corps holds it's winter rehearsals. If I were allowed to attend an off-season rehearsal and heard music for the coming season..unless I was told by the staff/administration not to say anything....I would be passing along what I saw and heard. At that point...it's public information...IMO. Does this happen with any other activity ? Does someone see a film production in their home town and say...gee...I better not tell anyone about this movie they are filming until an official release is made public..... :blink::soapbox:

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 1

That's crazy: she's a pretty high quality actress. She's been nominated for an Oscar, what, THREE times?! I think she'll be good, and honestly I'm a little bit more interested now with her cast announcement than I was previously.

Oh; we're talking drum corps here?

My bad...

i was attempting to be sardonically irreverant. i rarely succeed at this.

i'm actually a big amy adams fan. Junebug is one of my favorite movies of the decade, and it was mostly because of her.

she can do pretty much anything, so she'll take a powderpuff role like lois lane and make it work.

.....in other news, so far i'm not liking the new batman movie.

Bingo !!!

A know some wont like this but....

Sometimes I wish I lived near where a major dci corps holds it's winter rehearsals. If I were allowed to attend an off-season rehearsal and heard music for the coming season..unless I was told by the staff/administration not to say anything....I would be passing along what I saw and heard. At that point...it's public information...IMO. Does this happen with any other activity ? Does someone see a film production in their home town and say...gee...I better not tell anyone about this movie they are filming until an official release is made public..... :blink::soapbox:

Eh, I'm not sure I agree with that. For one thing, there may well be copyright considerations that have yet to be worked out, in which case you may actually land the corps in some hot water accidentally. But even beyond that, as much I think corps should be dropping bits of info early and often to build hype, it's still their decision not to, and I respect that decision. I might tell some close friends, but with the understanding that it's not to be blared all over Facebook or DCP. Hell, if everyone on DCP were to post anything and everything they know right now, I bet we'd know just about everything about just about every corp's show. The reason we don't do that is because we respect the corps' choice of confidentiality, even though we may disagree.

• Like 2

Eh, I'm not sure I agree with that. For one thing, there may well be copyright considerations that have yet to be worked out, in which case you may actually land the corps in some hot water accidentally.

So... instead of speculating something like that, why doesn't the corps just say "we're holding out on releasing any information because of copyright issues." Corps don't even tell us that much, even though that would be a perfectly acceptable reason. I mean even if a corps said "We're lazy and want to milk it." I'd take it because at least it's honest!

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

So... instead of speculating something like that, why doesn't the corps just say "we're holding out on releasing any information because of copyright issues." Corps don't even tell us that much, even though that would be a perfectly acceptable reason. I mean even if a corps said "We're lazy and want to milk it." I'd take because at least it's honest!

look at Madison...they told us why the last tune/tunes weren't public yet

Bingo !!!

I know some wont like this but....

I do have a home town corps and I volunteer for the corps so I hear the music and get to see some of the pratices.

ALWAYS we are told "Keep your cameras and cellphones in your pockets. This is NOT to be recorded in any way."

The corps keeps control of what is posted on many of the social networks out there too.

Some of it is due to copyright laws and we are told that when watching pratices.

Tomorrow I will get to hear the progress the brass section has made so far. Seeing a couple of the songs are my favorites I cant wait to hear them again!

....and I cant wait for June to see the whole corps out on the field whenever the first dress rehersal is given to the general public......

i was attempting to be sardonically irreverant. i rarely succeed at this.

i'm actually a big amy adams fan. Junebug is one of my favorite movies of the decade, and it was mostly because of her.

she can do pretty much anything, so she'll take a powderpuff role like lois lane and make it work.

.....in other news, so far i'm not liking the new batman movie.

Nah, I think you accomplished your mission: I was also playing along with you :tongue:

I kinda think showing how the process can change is very cool. it can only help interest

I agree with that as well.

But I can see the other side of the coin, where people think that Cadets had a bit of a SNAFU when they announced one show theme/rep in September, and the had to pull a 180 and announce another shoe theme/rep a few months later.

What we see as an interesting look into the design process of a Top 5/multi-DCI Champion, others see it as a little embarrassing and smacking of disorganization at worst, and a scatter-brained, over-zealous need to keep relevant & in the 'news' no matter if it means publishing information before your ready (AGAIN: I DO NOT FEEL THAT WAY, BUT I'VE HEARD OTHERS IN THE ACTIVITY WHO DO)

My point is, I have zero problems with corps controlling how/when/where they release news pertaining to their show design & theme. If a corps wants to put out a theme in mid-September, back-track and change to a totally different concept that they feel works better, then great: love the news, appreciate giving us insight into the thought process. If a corps wants to wait until they have everything finalized so when they make an announcement it's solidified, then awesome: thanks for giving us notice once you have you design together.

Really, the only thing that matters is how what the program is on the field in August. I don't care what a rep is, what a design should be on paper: if it's not a solid product in August nothing else matters. I've almost found myself recently not paying attention to show design and explanations in the winter/spring, and instead try to go into the season not knowing what corps have in mind. Takes away pre-conceived biases and expectations of a show, and helps me appreciate what's on the field instead of what's in my imagination a little bit more.

Sometimes I wish I lived near where a major dci corps holds it's winter rehearsals. If I were allowed to attend an off-season rehearsal and heard music for the coming season..unless I was told by the staff/administration not to say anything....I would be passing along what I saw and heard. At that point...it's public information...IMO.

FWIW, it sounds like most corps do that at camps: ask audiences, alumni, membership, etc to not gab about a concept, record music, etc. Some probably don't care too much (and inevitably people disregard the corps' wishes and do what they want anyway), but I think most corps keep that on a tight leash.

Does this happen with any other activity ? Does someone see a film production in their home town and say...gee...I better not tell anyone about this movie they are filming until an official release is made public..... :blink::soapbox:

Actually, yeah it pretty much is the prevalent practice of the film and music industry. Movies, even ones filmed on location, are a closed set and pictures and video are prohibited. Often actors have to sign a non-disclosure clause in their contracts, especially when working on a big-budget tent pole type project (for example, an extra got sued by Lucasfilm for revealing minor plot points of a scene he was in for Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls). Studios release publicity stills, trailers, posters, etc. at their own leisure, typically based on marketing strategy. Obviously there are sometimes set pictures taken from a fan with a zoom lens, scripts leak, pictures leak when merchandising companies have publicity of toys or books or something before studios release their own publicity photos. But typically the film industry has the same type of information release strategy as drum corps.

Same with albums: singles are very strategically released, album art and concept are released when a record company wants them to, etc. Again, albums leek on bit torrent sights, sometimes artists play new songs live before their on an album (usually as a viral marketing type strategy), etc. But the business practice of the music industry is for labels and artists to release information on their own time-line.

Really, that's the strategy of business: why would any business want to release information before they feel they're ready?!

• Like 1