Quick Question About Cavaliers' "Spin Cycle".

In Cavaliers' 2003 show, "Spin Cycle", at about the 5:50 mark, as the second piece, the ballad, is winding down --just before the mallets play the corps into their set for the next number, the brass has a short descending line which is accompanied by a very high-pitched sound -- almost like a squeaky wheel. I've checked the multi-camera, high-camera, and percussion DVD angles and can't see the instrument used to create the sound. (Whatever it is, it's very effective accompaniment for that passage.) Can anyone tell me what it was?

Not a percussionist here, but I think it's a type of gong scrape effect thing.

It is not a gong scrape. I can't place it exactly, but a gong scrape is lower pitched and less consistent than that. It's not loud enough in the mix to get a clear idea of what they are using exactly, but it sounds like its some sort of effect on crotales or some other high pitched metallics.

OMG! I remember that moment. I was sitting in front of this know it all fan who knew EVERYTHING about drum corps. He was insisting that it was a trumpet. I told him I thought it was a bow across a tam-tam or something similar. If I was wrong I'm sure I was much closer to figuring out the effect than he was. That was one of many falsehoods he was hoisting upon his friends. Sorry, just had to rant. I'm still scarred.

OMG! I remember that moment. I was sitting in front of this know it all fan who knew EVERYTHING about drum corps. He was insisting that it was a trumpet. I told him I thought it was a bow across a tam-tam or something similar. If I was wrong I'm sure I was much closer to figuring out the effect than he was. That was one of many falsehoods he was hoisting upon his friends. Sorry, just had to rant. I'm still scarred.

I hate that guy. He goes to all the shows!

HH

http://lpmusic.com/Product_Showcase/Chimes_Cymbals/lp_pin_chime_set.html

A few of those (or something similar) are mounted under the keyboards. They are moving them back and forth with a finger.

Hmm... the pitch is high enough, but there's a jangling quality that I don't hear in the "Spin Cycle" recording.

It's definitely the pin chimes.

In Cavaliers' 2003 show, "Spin Cycle", at about the 5:50 mark, as the second piece, the ballad, is winding down --just before the mallets play the corps into their set for the next number, the brass has a short descending line which is accompanied by a very high-pitched sound -- almost like a squeaky wheel. I've checked the multi-camera, high-camera, and percussion DVD angles and can't see the instrument used to create the sound. (Whatever it is, it's very effective accompaniment for that passage.) Can anyone tell me what it was?

I'm glad someone asked that question. I've been trying to figure out what that sound was for years now.

First off, I think it's kind of funny that a "know-it-all" insisted it was a trumpet. What?

But, having played pin chimes in drum corps, and owning a small set of pin chimes, I can guarantee those are pin chimes.

Pin chimes are kind of cool in about 5 second uses like that but having to hear them any longer than that drives me crazy! :P