Cadets2

While some of the older marchers in DCA are there reliving their glory years, many more when they were were 18-22 years old either were in the military, or got married young, or did not know about Drum Corps when they were this age, or had college, etc or other compelling reasons why they did not do DCI Drum Corps. The notion that most of the older DCA marchers are attempting to " relive their glory years " is absurd as most did not have Drum Corps glory years to begin with when they were of DCI age. From reading some of the posts on here this past year, it is clear to me that quite a few posters really have no idea what the attraction and motivation is for doing DCA Drum Corps. The misinformation and just fundamental lack of accurate information about DCA is striking.

Besides, people who are " reliving past glory " are sitting down reminincing. Those who are " in the moment " are out on the field competing. For them, it's not about " yesteryear" at all. It's about the " now " and it's about the " tomorrow ".

THANK YOU! When I saw the quoted post, the cleanest thing I could have put on here was "FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.... THIS AGAIN". Acheson choked on that statement once before...

You responded in a way far better than I could have. So again, thanks.

All I have to say is that I like that they're opening up the opportunity to kids who don't have the time or money to put into a DCI tour.

And YEA stands for Youth Education in the Arts. So of course they're going to keep the DCI age parameters.

Except, of course, that they are not "opening" any opportunity. DCA, and it's attendant opportunity, has been around, and all age, since before the formation of DCI. Unless you are speaking of an opportunity to be a "Cadet", then ok.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but this needs nipped in the bud right away.

Anyone besides me remember the crap that Jacobs took on here for his "Name Your Own Price" plan? Seems he was more in tune with events than the naysayers here gave him credit for.

If a MM can name a price that's the same as Cadets2 and march Surf then it becomes a question of what kind of program you want to associate with, not a money question.

There's a world of difference between the "personality" of Cadets versus Surf.

Let's not announce the death of Surf prematurely. Jacobs has been working a plan for 20 years and is no slouch.

My hunch is that he welcomes the challenge...and the vindication that his weekend program is legit.

VERY well said.

• Like 1

I havn't read a single post on here from any poster that said that George Hopkins " wanted to kill DCA ".

Has anybody else ?

We don't bring ourselves much credibility or glory when we just make up things on here, charlie1223.

That's funny, because you made up a quote from me that I never said, and even put it in quotation marks as if it was copied and pasted from something I said.

• Like 1

Ok, let's get real here. The sole reason Hopkins is starting this corps is so he can test the waters.

Uniform change? no problem. See if it works and apply it to WC cadets next season.

experimental concepts? try 'em out with Cadets2.

Think of it as a dress rehearsal tongue.gif

But seriously having a hole filling entity mid-season is genius.

Surf is already basically the Cadets stepping stone, so I do see this hurting them in some way. However "killing" surf is not gonna happen. Bob knows what he's doing over there smile.gif

'Twill be interesting that's for sure.

Will it make as much sense if there's a shortfall in membership numbers (read: money for YEA)? I have a feeling the age limit will magically disappear if there's only 25 horns that show up in March.

I interpret the hint of expanding the age as reflective of the above possibility happening.

#### kids coming into the All Age world... :devil:

LOL Jim... when I joined Sunrisers in 1977, some other corps had nicknames for us: "Kids and Girls"....."Milk and Cookie Cadets"... and so forth, because we had a bunch of members under age 22 in the corps. (And... perish the thought back then... women in the horn line and drum line. :tongue: )

But.... we also had a whole bunch of senior/all-age corps veterans in their 20s and 30s. It was those vets who showed us "kids" how to get it done. And judging by the results from 1977 on, I think we did OK. LOL.

Kinda agree, they might be better off fielding a Open Class DCI corps... but I guess this will work too.

Without looking at the schedules of Open DCI and DCA Northeast, a guess is that maybe they think they can provide for more of a complete season close to home this way. Just speculating.