Cadets2

Wow! This is Great! He's clearly trying to expand DCA and make it more viable again!

Umm, sorry, George isn't interested in trying to make DCA "viable" in fact, I would wager that DCA is very viable. George only does what is in Georges' best interest. He cares not about DCA in any way, shape, or manner.

• Like 1

I guess I just hate to see so many people suddenly get carried away with this new YEA venture when they forget that these opportunities for young artists have been around for decades.

I don't think their target member pool are those who march with the corps that have been around for decades. I think they will target their USSBA bands first to try and attract kids (and their parents) who recognize the YEA! brand.

LOL, in other words nothing posted by YEA or GH that has more definite plans. That would make things really interesting if C2s staff is used to working with a daily schedule. If weekend only.... well we know what kind of mind set that means.... LMAO, I can hear Templin screaming "Don't have time for this <bleep>" as I type.

so many people now have experience in both worlds Jim. I mean look, Cadets have people involved with Bucs and vice versa. those folks will know going in what is and isnt acheivable for a weekend only model and will design accordingly.

Counterpoint is always needed; drum corps is not major league baseball. We don't see the Padres begging for money and volunteers on facebook, nor do we pay our "players".

Does it mean a "fan" is entitled to directly affect a corps? Well, if you donate thousands of dollars (directly to a corps, or to DCI), perhaps so. If you buy a shirt, less so.

Anyway, as far as discussion goes . . .the answer lies somewhere in between; I'll agree we don't need trolls who bemoan how everything was better in 1943 when eight foot tall sopranos who could hit a quintuple C roamed the earth, but, by the same token, it does no one any good to try to go all the way the other way and "Baghdad Bob" things with "everything is great, I don't know why you're taking issue with ________".

White knighting constantly gets as old as hiding under a bridge every thread, no?

:worthy:

Sadly, I'm afraid this is too true. I don't use the "ignore" option, though I'm sorely tempted. It's not that I can't take a difference of opinion. I think my posts prove that I'm up for a good discussion. What I can't take is the stupidity and unfairness that abounds, particularly from those who aren't actually drum corps fans any more.

I'm the one who launched this tangent. Right or wrong, I launched it because I felt the negative momentum building. The Cadets are building a new corp. Should be a good thing. DCP was tearing it apart, age-out by age-out. Imagine some freshman at Lehigh or high school senior at East Stroudsburg reading this thread. They can't afford the time or money for the full tour yet but might want to give weekends a ride. And what do they see? Not much of an endorsement for the corps they're considering.

Fair enough that this is a discussion group. There should be discussion. And there should be differences of opinion. That's what makes it interesting. The problem is the difference of opinion too often doesn't exist. A few more of us use the ignore button a little more and the echo chamber will be complete. Then where will we be?

HH - thinking of starting a new thread on this subject

no offense, but stupidity and unfairness goes all ways around.

• Like 1

True, but if anything this would create a greater focus on DCA than has been in the past. The Cadets brand is more well known than any of the other DCA corps, especially to younger high school kids. The issue could just be a matter of people/kids not knowing that those other corps even exist and now with a big name entering DCA it could make more high schoolers aware of the opportunities that are within their gasp that they didn't know about before.

wellll.........maybe.

In some areas, the local DCA corps is more well known than the Cadets because of marching members being involved with those bands staffs. Now could DCA have done a better job reaching out to kids yes, but that's for the inidividual corps to choose. DCA isn't set up as a corporate enitity as DCI is. The problem is too many on this forum like to speak of DCA as if they know, when like Daniel ray, they clearly do not

I think more drum corps can only be a good thing! Why do people have to hate on George Hopkins all the time? Even when he does something good like this?

Maybe because past behavior often predicts future behavior? Seems there always appears to be an angle, regardless of the motivation... or ultimate outcome.

Hate is a trigger word, as opposed to say... wary.

• Like 1

so many people now have experience in both worlds Jim. I mean look, Cadets have people involved with Bucs and vice versa. those folks will know going in what is and isnt acheivable for a weekend only model and will design accordingly.

OK, sumthin' I didn't know. Cadets and Buccs have ties... *gasp*... Didn't know it myself but not a big surprise... But sure that will blow the mind of some people...

But to answer your question about giving money. Unless someone is funding tens of thousands of dollars YES I do believe we dont or shouldnt have a say in how THEIR group is run.......Why do we have to get into EVERYONES stuff and of course with MUCH BETTER IDEAS :blink:

Eh, way I figure it people posting on DCP without doing anything else is "armchair quarterbacking". Unless someone is naive (don't want to say dumb) enough to take posting of opinons, or rantings, or raving seriously it's no worse than B-wording about the local sports team. Now contacting a corps or management and just ragging their butt over things comes close to harassment and not right.