How Few Corps Would It Take

Time for brain storming (or brain drizzling) session:

What is the least number of corps it would take for DCI to remain an active circuit?

What would be the x number of corps and why.

How would DCI continue to operate with x number of corps.

Feel free to come up with your own definition of active, looking for any and all ideas.

Got the idea from another thread and looking for ideas. Think of it as DCPs "Alternate Universe" <$1 to Marvel Comics> for Drum Corps.

• Like 1

What is the least number of corps it would take for DCI to remain an active circuit?

Feel free to come up with your own definition of active, looking for any and all ideas.

Got the idea from another thread and looking for ideas. Think of it as DCPs "Alternate Universe" <$1 to Marvel Comics> for Drum Corps.

8.........for the win.

Just kidding

I think there would need to be at least 35 corps to make it a successful circuit. Any less and you don't get many corps performing at some shows, and the crowd and ticket sales dwindle down. Sadly, there weren't many more than this number last year at DCI finals week. I think we were at 39 total corps at last years championships, 23 WC and 16 OC. And I seem to recall last year and years past a few shows having as little as 3 or 4 corps.

As it is, I think DCI and show sponsors are having a hard time filling shows. The number of shows has dwindled down, and there are lots of venues that no longer host a show, that had amazing shows in the past. I think as it is, it is very tough to do a full summer schedule for DCI, and if we have any less than 35 corps, I think some things are not gonig to work out very well.

• Like 1

Ya, and the fewer the corps, the less the prestige of being a "top" corps. If there were only 8, being 8th wouldn't be too impressive (in terms of being labeled a "top" corps), even if that 8th place corps was just as good as they would have been being 8th out of 39.

For there to be winners, there has to be loosers, and the more loosers the better.

The issue of not having enough to fill a show could be resolved by a better planned "tour", like the TOC concept, but at some point it simply becomes a "show" and not a competition. Sort of like Pro Wrestling, or the traveling dirt bike shows. It may be amazing to see the great performances, but they are shows, not truely competitions, and not nearly as fun as going to a true sporting competition.

What if there were only two NFL teams and they just competed against each other each week. It would be quite boring, no one would really care who one or lost during a particular game, although a few people would still watch the NFL "shows" just to see great athletes.

For drum corps to maximize attendance, they have to put on "shows" for people who just want to see a good show, and to put on "games" for people who are into the competitive aspect. There's not enough interest in the activity to do just one or the other.

• Like 1

George Hopkins

• Like 1

Depends on how many waffles the food truck can supply.

• Like 1

Depends what you mean as viable.

Viable as a touring entertainment?

Viable as a competitive circuit? (top 8 or even top 5 doesnt mean as much if there are only 8 left)

If the lower corps fade away, thats less to fill a show with. The smaller shows die off too due to lesser demand. At some point you end up with 8 corps on the same tour doing a coast to coast tour (because they dont have enough corps to do separate shows anymore) and all racking up a shload of miles each summer. And when one fails from those 8, what happens then to the rest? Their product becomes less viable, and there's no new corps growing to replace it.

Edited by AlexL

Depends what you mean as viable.

Ooops - make that your definition of viable as well as your definition of active. And please give the definitions.

PS - Not my answer as I haven't thought of it but once had a view of a possible DCI future of 12 corps. Two sets of 6 corps each touring together to save equipment, gas, etc. Then a mid-season Regional of all 12 corps, then mix 'em up and rest of the season 2 sets of 6 corps, but different corps in the later season group. Then Prelims and Finals....

Edited by JimF-LowBari