Music City Legend To Cease 2011 Operations

A loss of any corps hurts all corps,but i understand the reasons behind it and look forward and wish them the best in 2012

"Unable to attract sufficient membership to meet the DCA minimum size limit"

Paging Gary Matczak... paging Gary Matczak...

Get those "Samba" lyrics ready, brother.... in case You Know Who decides to chime in here! :tongue:

Get those "Samba" lyrics ready, brother.... in case You Know Who decides to chime in here! :tongue:

I may not be around later...so I will input my usual.

It's got a beat ~ you can dance to it.

:ph34r:

"Unable to attract sufficient membership to meet the DCA minimum size limit"

Way to go DCA

Why get on DCA about this requirement? Do you really grasp as to why this requirement was created and why it's in place?

From everything I have read and had explained to me, it was partly audience driven, as well as a desire to see that a corps had reached a certain level of long-term solvency and ability to provide somehting of a certain quality in the long term and not end up in a fly-by-night situaton, which was plaguing DCA at one time, and is not now.

Unfortunately, crowds did not wish to see the tiny corps (sorry- but that's what I was told and had explained to me, if you don't like it- maybe the truth hurts), contest sponsors also did not want them at their contests and spoke up. (sgain, the truth hurts). IIRC, it was also an object of ridicule that DCA's detractors loved to roll out and throw in the face of the activity.

So, in effect with your comment, DCA is ###### of they do include units that can't meet the minimum requirements , and ###### if they don't.

I disagree.

In any event, I hope MCL can create a long-term plan of action that can enable them to return to DCA and compete in the future. The environment's tough out there- finding people willing to commit the money and time is difficult at best.

Had to scroll up to see who posted... I was wrong....

Good luck to MCL, think they were the guys some of us talked to at a Baltimore parade a few years back. We were standing in the back watching the horn line work and a staf member called out "Hey sounds better up here, c'mon up".

thumbup.gif

A loss of any corps hurts all corps,but i understand the reasons behind it and look forward and wish them the best in 2012

I don't post much here anymore..been accused sometimes of being a lurker or whatever........not...............just old ....and don't come on here much.....so anyway..I agree with you 10000% ..a loss of any corps hurts us all.......it is such a shame that economy robs us of the very reason many of us continue to enjoy life in hard times.........drum corps to me has always been the favourite activity...and I have always believed that it has and still does contribute to the maturing of our youth...making them as they did me a team player ...and as I was not a hockey player in a country that puts that above all.......found a sport that I could achieve my potential ....yes ..I could not skate well..but I could ...first play a bugle...Soprano ..then baritone..then...saw the light hahaha just kidding...tenor drum....then snare....was my life since 1966 till whatever.........the best activity in the world......I applaud the corps that know not to go in to debt or do a less than good entertaining show....again a shame that some need to regroup....been there done it...Good Luck to all corps this 2011 Season Junior and Senior ..oh forgot all age....I meant All age..anyway.....God Bless for the coming drum corps season..hope those that can...do...those that can't come back soon...and just keep the faith and locally ....fill the seats!!!guinesssmilie.gif

I enjoyed meeting some MCL members in 2008 and thought they had a good show and a strong thing going. This reminds me once again to take nothing for granted.

I suspect there is a core group with MCL that is very hurt by this. Why can't everyone see how special this activity is and how can they not want to be a part of it? But alas, we drum corps people are a unique group that welcomes people with open arms but finds too few takers. Very frustrating for MCL I'm sure, but its also part of what makes this such a special activity.

Wait, it's DCA's fault they couldn't meet the minimums?

exactly.

As with last year, I am sure there will be more than a few members who will go march with Alliance and CorpsVets.

Edited by NashvillePat