Music City Legend To Cease 2011 Operations

My apologies for the vent here....

But is there any chance that you guys coming on here speculating about whether this corps or that corps is about to announce that it is going inactive/ceasing operations/whatever... could just ZIP IT????

Even if rumors turn out to be accurate, I think it's simply common courtesy to just shut up and let a given corps make an announcement first, whatever that announcement may be. Just my opinion.

Enough of this stuff. Sheesh.

You may be right BUT..you do know where you are , right?

The home of SPECULATION

PERSONAL OPINION ( MANY TIMES WITH OUT FACT OR EXPERIENCE)

BIAS

ANSWERS FOR MOST OF THE WORLDS ISSUES

RUMOR MILL

OPINION PRESENTED AS FACT

ALWAYS THE MARJORITY AGREEING ( IN SOME PEOPLES OWN MINDS )..LOL

HISTORICAL FACTS ( NOT)

OH AND ESPECIALLY THE PLACE FOR ONES WHO ALWAYS HAVE THAT INSIDE RELIABLE SOURCE..LOL

PS : there are many with all those fine qualities, I just don't know how often we hear from them :smile:

Gotta love it !!!!!!!!

You may be right BUT..you do know where you are , right?

The home of SPECULATION

PERSONAL OPINION ( MANY TIMES WITH OUT FACT OR EXPERIENCE)

BIAS

ANSWERS FOR MOST OF THE WORLDS ISSUES

RUMOR MILL

OPINION PRESENTED AS FACT

ALWAYS THE MARJORITY AGREEING ( IN SOME PEOPLES OWN MINDS )..LOL

HISTORICAL FACTS ( NOT)

OH AND ESPECIALLY THE PLACE FOR ONES WHO ALWAYS HAVE THAT INSIDE RELIABLE SOURCE..LOL

PS : there are many with all those fine qualities, I just don't know how often we hear from them :smile:

Gotta love it !!!!!!!!

Good points. LOL.

I should know better. I thought the Weekly World News was accurate when it reported that a World War II bomber had been found on the moon. :tongue:

Good points. LOL.

I should know better. I thought the Weekly World News was accurate when it reported that a World War II bomber had been found on the moon. :tongue:

Was Bat Boy behind the wheel???? At least that stuff you knew you could take with a HUGE grain of salt.... oh wait.... no difference with some DCP stuff....

The contra soloist could really play, he could scream. Killer player.

Sad news indeed. The corps was ready to take flight again with re-invigorated leadership, money in the bank and a fan friendly program. Unfortunately, making a drum corps work requires a lot of people to give their word, commit to being unselfish for the good of the corps and act honorably. That is a hard thing for many people to do these days.

P.S. For the paranoid, my comments are not directed toward any individual or specific group of individuals. It's a general observation from running a drum corps for 6 years. Best wishes to all corps in 2011.

Sad news indeed. The corps was ready to take flight again with re-invigorated leadership, money in the bank and a fan friendly program. Unfortunately, making a drum corps work requires a lot of people to give their word, commit to being unselfish for the good of the corps and act honorably. That is a hard thing for many people to do these days.

P.S. For the paranoid, my comments are not directed toward any individual or specific group of individuals. It's a general observation from running a drum corps for 6 years. Best wishes to all corps in 2011.

Of course, I guess the comment came from real experiences by people that led to the problems MCL faced. I wish they were back, as I was really looking forward to having more corps in DCA South. It seems that our region has reached some kind of standstill. Every time we get a new corps, another corps goes inactive. I think Tampa Bay will have the success to stick around... I just hope they will have their "ducks in a row" as far as finances are concerned so that they can duke it out with CV and Alliance for many years to come.

I also hope Sun Devils can make it back to the field soon. On the bright side, it looks like Shenandoah has a good shot at the DCA South Class title! :w00t:

Edited by BOSMarcher

The commitment thing is a big issue when trying to build a Corps. Many have come to our door hot and heavy to help get things going then walk away for many reasons such as personal finanaces, realizing they really didn't have the time for a new hobby or their spouse told them it was a nogo. It's frustrating at times but it makes the victories all the more sweet.

Recruitment is hard for any DCA corps, especially in areas without decades of history surrounding the All-age side of the activity. Retention is even harder.

Getting names on a list has never really been much of a problem it seems.. some booths, some ads, emails to band directors, newspapers, etc. We can probably all list hundreds of ways to get people to sign up for recruitment emails.

Every corps tries various methods to get people in the door. To have the magical combination of name, image, staff, show, equipment, rehearsal facility, schedule, dues, tour, etc to keep people there, motivated, and willing to help drive your corps to the field and beyond... that's the challenge. Plus in dealing with a corps of adults, it becomes an even bigger struggle as people are joining your corps with more knowledge and maturity. Adults are looking for an activity for fun, challenge, family fun, etc, etc.

I hated reading about MCL not coming back out this year as it appeared they were going to be making a strong return. I do hope they can come back in the future. They have a unique show concept and style that I greatly appreciated and hope to see again.

More corps = better for everyone!