Season opening dates in TX

I think we should all have a moment of silence on 18 June in Saginaw, TX for the soon-to-be DOA concept of "West Coast Inflation". What will the replacement whine be?

Ha ha, you know I was thinking about that the other day. Well at least i'm not the only one thinking about it.

Don't worry the Tournament of Champions / G8 whine will be loud enough for us to forget all about the historic 'West Coast Inflation' theories!

1. TOC - not real champions

2. G8 - greedy, money-hungry bunch of ****

(and IF the idea WORKS) 3. Unfair advantage of touring with the best 2010 corps

I agree entirely. It's a shame when the "top acts" trump the home team. Perhaps it is, as you say, due to lack of equal exposure.

I guess what I'm trying to say (that I haven't seen anyone respond to), is that we have no idea why the "home teams" aren't playing at these shows. We know they have their own low-stress performance (stand-still), at a "Texas Preview" type thing where all of the Texas groups are doing their thing as a group. We don't know if this was done because they wanted to do their own show, or because they had the "there's show X over here, let's do our own show since we're not 'invited' to perform," or what. For all we know, the TX shows had no desire to perform in these other DCI shows.

People are making a big deal about it, but they don't really know all the facts. It's quick to point fingers, blame Hoppkins (or whomever), and think this is another example of 'the man' keeping the little guy down. The truth/reality, whoever, is probably substantially more complex than that, and potentially an non-issue.

Heck, for all we know, all of the TX corps were invited, and they said to the Top 8 corps "screw you, we want to have shows that compete with your shows so we can make/keep all of the money and you get none."

We just don't really know, so why spend time/energy playing the blame game?

I think we should all have a moment of silence on 18 June in Saginaw, TX for the soon-to-be DOA concept of "West Coast Inflation". What will the replacement whine be?

That the judges just build it into the west coast corps now, regardless of actual geographic location of the show, so that their judging looks more consistent? ph34r.gif

Edited by AlexL

I guess what I'm trying to say (that I haven't seen anyone respond to), is that we have no idea why the "home teams" aren't playing at these shows. We know they have their own low-stress performance (stand-still), at a "Texas Preview" type thing where all of the Texas groups are doing their thing as a group. We don't know if this was done because they wanted to do their own show, or because they had the "there's show X over here, let's do our own show since we're not 'invited' to perform," or what. For all we know, the TX shows had no desire to perform in these other DCI shows.

People are making a big deal about it, but they don't really know all the facts. It's quick to point fingers, blame Hoppkins (or whomever), and think this is another example of 'the man' keeping the little guy down. The truth/reality, whoever, is probably substantially more complex than that, and potentially an non-issue.

Heck, for all we know, all of the TX corps were invited, and they said to the Top 8 corps "screw you, we want to have shows that compete with your shows so we can make/keep all of the money and you get none."

The Texas Drum Corps Preview has been going on for at least 2 years prior to this year's new schedule and ToC show. It's not a new thing in response to the ToC concept and it's a great way to showcase all of the TX corps in a really cool setting (the state capitol).

So, in this case, the truth isn't even complex. :smile:

TX Drum Corps Preview started in 2005.

• Like 1

it's easy to tell why they aren't there.

they aren't last years top 8. that's what these shows were set up for exclusively

That the judges just build it into the west coast corps now, regardless of actual geographic location of the show, so that their judging looks more consistent? ph34r.gif

Ha! I am speechless....I am without speech!

Looks like a whole new set of conspiracy theorists will emerge......."Inflaters"!

Lol !

I thought the WCI was just officially delayed until the 2nd week of the season. peek.gif

• Like 1