Will G8 shows stimulate competitiveness?

Now that there will be some exclusive "G8" shows this season, I wonder what the effect will be on corps competitiveness? For many years now, a top corps would come out of the gate at the start of the season, and a 3rd or 4th place finish in a show was "bad", for the most part. Now, somebody who is most likely quite good is going to be 7th or 8th in their 1st show. If everyone is fairly strong and there is no clear cut leader, or at least 5 or 6 are very strong, will the results jump around alot from show to show?

One thing for sure is I do think these corps are probably really busting hard to complete shows and be in good shape, because they know they will lose badly right off the bat if they are not prepared, and if you are in the 6-8 range in these shows, it will be hard to recover (not impossible, though, but tough) enough to contend for the title.

I hope that this spurs wide-open competition, with 4-8 corps truly having a shot, different winners and alot of movement, and no clear cut favorite. Certainly if a corps deserves to smoke the field, I don't have a problem with that, but I think the suspense of wide open competition can rival that of a great sports playoff. Phantom 2008 was certainly an exception regarding a corps coming from behind, but it has been very hard to do this in DCI for a very long time.

My gut tells me that it is more likely we will see 3 groupings emerge after just a few shows.........1-3,4-6, 7-8. I also believe that it may be difficult to move up a grouping, and a 1000-1 shot for the 7-8 corps after the 1st few shows. I also think that it is highly possible that one or two corps might beat the bottom one or 2 corps here in non-G8 shows. My gut tells me that Madison certainly could make some waves if they progress on what they started last year.

At any rate, I am not sure if I am into the G8 "country club" approach here, and I am not certain about the extra fluff that is supposed to happen at these shows. I won't knock it until I see/hear it, though. If the shows do somehow spur competitiveness, interest, and entertainment value....none of that is bad.

Of course, all of this is nothing but speculation............I'd be curious, though, to hear what others think the impact the G8 shows will have on the competitive season.

GB

[sNIP]

At any rate, I am not sure if I am into the G8 "country club" approach here, and I am not certain about the extra fluff that is supposed to happen at these shows. I won't knock it until I see/hear it, though. If the shows do somehow spur competitiveness, interest, and entertainment value....none of that is bad.

Of course, all of this is nothing but speculation............I'd be curious, though, to hear what others think the impact the G8 shows will have on the competitive season.

GB

By having the G8 go head to head more often, it makes it more likely that the "Correct" placement is reached at the end. There are some years in the past, where competing corps only saw each other once or twice before finals, and where judgeX had NEVER seen a certain corps before finals.

TOC solves those problems, and provides a mechanism for testing some new show formats and features.

TOC also assumes that the previous 9th-12th place finishers have almost NO SHOT at winning in the current season. But at least the judges have all kinds of information about G8 when putting non-G8 corps into the G8 mix. It's win-win from that standpoint, for if I were the brass caption head of a non-G8 corps, and I knew my hornline was darn good, I'd be THRILLED that judgeX has heard all of those other G8 corps lots of times...would make it obvious that my hornline is better. (And since I understand CI, I'd be sure to use the sheets in my discussions with judgeX)

• Like 1

I'm most excited to be able to see some of the west coast corps BEFORE mid July!

The TOC will really expose any weaknesses of the 8 corps right away - if there are severe weaknesses one or more TOC corps will fall right away.

I can't wait!

Won't be in Texas, but will see the next best thing on the 20th at the movie theater.

I think it will help fuel the members of the G8 corps to get things down even more early on in the season.

I played soccer in high school, and our coach would always have play the best teams in all the close states in the pre-season. It motivated us to get our crap together more quickly, so we had the rest of the season to really bond together as a team. Though drum corps is different than sports, I still imagine it will have a similar effect.

IF the judges can avoid their usual "place them the same as last year's Finals" in the early shows, and they can actually judge the performances on the field each night, then we should see some movement within the top 8, and most likely among the top 11, early in the season this year. However, that is a very big IF.

This will be impossible because you are forgetting about the 2nd gunman on the grassy knoll! Oh Brother... :thumbdown:

• Like 1

IF the judges can avoid their usual "place them the same as last year's Finals" in the early shows, and they can actually judge the performances on the field each night, then we should see some movement within the top 8, and most likely among the top 11, early in the season this year. However, that is a very big IF.

By finals night everyone is USUALLY right where they belong.Not sure if slotting has been happening alot recently.

The whole G8 concept stimulates my middle finger. :ph34r:

• Like 5

Well I think that maybe Scouts and Boston might have a shot at breaking into the top 8, but the Blue Stars are really putting out a very competitive program this summer, and all bias aside, they are sounding a step and a half above where they were at this point last season.

I think the top 8 are going to be very competitive, and it wouldn't surprise me if the top 8 finished within 5 pts of each other come Finals. I just think it's going to be that close.

if you've been 9th and 10th, I see it firing you up

• Like 2