To the rookies . . . as your first show approaches . . .

To the rookies on DCP:

Just log out for the summer. Do your thing on tour. Chances are this site will just bring you frustration. People, myself included, will have their opinions, but better to just keep working and prove them (us?) wrong, please resist the temptation to jump in and get defensive.

Edited by AlexL
  • Like 4

To the rookies on DCP:

Just log out for the summer. Do your thing on tour. Chances are this site will just bring you frustration. People, myself included, will have their opinions, but better to just keep working and prove them (us?) wrong, please resist the temptation to jump in and get defensive.

We were specifically instructed to stay off the boards lol.. Needless to say, we did it anyways. And some of the predictions did frustrate us, but at the same time we knew some of them were silly, and had no chance of happening.

To the rookies...

Get off DCP.

EDIT: Unless you're laughing at the multitude of comments from has-beens who take the 1n73w3bz vry srsly.

Edited by DrillmanSop06
  • Like 1

To the rookies: Stay on DCP. There are a few goofballs, but it's mostly good. You'll hear things on tour much uglier than anything you'll ever read on this site. And remember that anyone telling you not to look, on or offline, almost certainly checks DCP obsessively. You might as well too.

Oh, and get ready for the big time. There's nothing like that feeling all that hard work pay off, having all your doubts relieved, and getting the first taste of the exhilaration you'll taste night after night. It only happens once, so enjoy it!

Edited by Rifuarian

To the rookies, try and find a moment this summer to sit back and take stock of everything. I know during my rookie season, it felt like a whirlwind all summer, and I feel like I missed out on a lot. Just take a minute to sit back, and realize what it is that you're doing. You'd be amazed to see the amount of work you're actually putting in unless you look at it from the outside.

And about the DCP thing, if you decide to come on here, be prepared, and come on with a very thick skin. You'll hear everything about your corps, your leadership, and your show, both good and bad. So just be prepared for anything, and learn to filter out the stuff that doesn't affect you.

But most of all, DON"T BE THAT GUY! Biggest lesson you can ever get, just keep your head down and handle your job. Set an example through your actions, not by talking. Be the example of what to do on the field, not what not to do. It's way better to be remembered as the rookie everyone could count on to know his stuff, than the kid who messed up every set and got yelled at by everyone.

Edited by fsubone

I guess I would suggest this - don't worry about the scores, scores will come and go, and 15-20 years from now you wont even remember what the scores were, you'll only remember your experience.

And don't forget, you are performing for fans who care more about being entertained than who gets what score. Go out there and perform like professionals. Really, there are no better marching ensembles in the entire world outside of DCI. Most of all, have fun.

To the rookies: Stay on DCP. There are a few goofballs, but it's mostly good. You'll hear things on tour much uglier than anything you'll ever read on this site.

Amen to that. I heard more ridiculous things on tour than I did ever on DCP.

For instance, somewhere around the Michigan City show I heard a rumor that 8 of Madison's 20 contras had just up and left the corps. Always wondered where that came from...

• Like 1

To the rookies - enjoy but it ain't life or death.... The older you get the more you realize it was a big part of your life but the sun still came up no matter what happened on the field.

s/ Guy who did 2 competitions and 1 (half field show) exhibition his rookie year. We were trying to get a disbanded corps back on the field..... Important part was it worked. :smile:

Edited by JimF-LowBari