Best drill

Tony Hall for the writing in 08.

Tony Hall basically comes in and does that every season. It isn't just a Nick Scotella thing.

Tony is the mad-hatter that connects most of the Phantom Regiment's visual from 93 until now.

He usually comes in at least once a season to fix at least one thing. Some seasons like 2003, he spends weeks a time there.

Tony Hall basically comes in and does that every season. It isn't just a Nick Scotella thing.

Tony is the mad-hatter that connects most of the Phantom Regiment's visual from 93 until now.

He usually comes in at least once a season to fix at least one thing. Some seasons like 2003, he spends weeks a time there.

he does indeed, but he played a much larger role in 08 I believe. I remember when they announced Nick Scotella writing the drill, the announcement said he would be asssisted/guided/whatever by Tony Hall during the process.

Tony Hall always often does changes, but I think in 08 he was a large part of the creation in the first place.

I could be wrong, but this is what my perception was.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

Well said! Intriguing because I think of Michael Gaines as such a juggernaut in the activity, it's boggling to think he did emerge from Brubaker. Did '95 designer Greg Poklacki come from the same roots?

I'm not 100% positive on that one. so I shouldn't give an answer. I would guess, yes.

1970's I'd have to say Craftsman

1980's Black and Decker

1990's Dewalt or Porter Cable ( hon mention to Markita )

2000's Dewalt

2010's It's gonna be a banner decade

:ph34r:

• Like 2

87 Cadets

90 Cadets

90-91 Star

91 Cavaliers

93 Cadets

95 Cavaliers

97 SCV

98 Cadets

99 SCV

99 Blue Devils

2000 Cadets

2000 Cavaliers

2001 Cavaliers

2002 Cavaliers

2003 Cavaliers

2003 Blue Devils

2004 Blue Devils

2004 SCV

2004 Cavaliers

2006 Cavaliers

2006 SCV

2007 SCV

2007 Cadets

2007 -2010 Blue Devils

Like above, these are my picks for best drill over the years (1979 was when I started seeing shows live).

1979 27th Lancers

1980 27th Lancers & SCV (asymmetrical drill, 1st time with Vanguard)

1981 SCV

1982 Garfield/The Cadets

1983 Garfield/The Cadets

1984 Garfield/The Cadets

1985 Garfield/The Cadets

1986 Cavaliers & Garfield/The Cadets

1987 Garfield/The Cadets

1988 SCV

1989 Cavaliers

1990 Cadets of Bergen/The Cadets & Star of Indiana

1991 Star of Indiana

1992 Cadets of Bergen & Cavaliers

1993 Cadets of Bergen & Star of Indiana

1994 Blue Devils

1995 Cadets of Bergen/The Cadets & Cavaliers

1996 Phantom Regiment

1997 Blue Devils & Cadets of Bergen/The Cadets

1998 Cadets of Bergen/The Cadets

1999 SCV

2000 The Cadets & Cavaliers

2001 The Cadets & Cavaliers

2002 Cavaliers

2003 Cavaliers

2004 Cavaliers

2005 The Cadets

2006 Cavaliers

2007 SCV

2008 Cavaliers & SCV

2009 The Cadets & Crown

2010 Cavaliers

Just my opinion, obviously, but I tried to be as objective as possible.

I have The Cadets with 16 bests, Cavaliers with 12, and SCV with 6.

Just for fun, but IMO those would certainly be the shows in contention during those years for best drill. To me it is clear that the Cadets and Cavaliers have dominated visually.

SCV 1980 is not an asymmetrical drill. It has an asymmetrical concert set-up and concert set, and the first half of "Jupiter" is asymmetrical. That's it. It's a fantastic drill, and brilliantly marched(though not as well as Phantom, wow), but it is not really all that asymmetrical.

older.. lots of choice but I'd go for Garfield 87. Said it before on DCP but how that contra player makes his spot for the final company front is amazing. Even now when I watch it, I'm convinced he'll miss it.

newer... has to be SCV 2010. The most inovative drill I've watched in a long time... very entertaining.

• 4 months later...

Just two quick questions:

1. What am I missing in 93 Cadets, what is it that makes people love this visual program so much?

2. How can 96 PR be included over 93,94,89,76? Those corps were lightyears ahead of the 96 corps visually.

Digging up an old thread.. Because I'm board.

So I'll go over this question that was left by my friend.

1. 93 Cadets, I'm fairly sure I listed it. Sheer velocity and the chaos to clarity of Sully's line manipulation... run and gun drum corps at it's finest. To me, it's classic Cadets. Personally, I really loved the stagging of the drumline. Very aggressive and ballsy.

Everyones cup of tea? Nope. This style of drill is not as "guard centric" as is todays drill but I don't find the "East Coast" style to be as guard centric as it is. The drill is about the motion.

2. Agree 100%!! And I can't believe I left 93 out of my list.

Edited by CloudHype

1979 27th Lancers

1980 27th Lancers & SCV (asymmetrical drill, 1st time with Vanguard)

Thank you...although I think I prefer 27 from 1981 best. I believe that was Ralph Pace work...wasn't it?