First 2 show results thread

How in the heck did a corps drop not only 3 spots but 4 points in a day?? I realize it's a different show with different judges but come on!

Because everyone is overall a mess right now compared to what it will be in the end. It's difficult to judge anything like that. The corps will separate themselves more clearly later in the season.

• Like 2

Well with the wind and all, Im pretty sure the judges must have been "Dropping there pencils like gangbusters" both nights. No other explanation needed!

Close Thread!

The only reason I can figure Stars are getting slammed in visual is the shortening of the stage due to the ramps. I have to say .. that show is a beast and so is that corps. They seem to be a bit overhyped atm with regards to the intensity of the individual performers .. but honestly, that's what I dug about it. They perform extremely passionately. Loved the show .. not sure the ramps are even necessary. They really weren't utilized effectively anyway. Move them back or tear them down. ......... I LOVE YOUR SHOW!!!!!

SCV's brass is in alot of trouble at this point. The vehicle seems very cluttered and in need of immense rewrites in short order. If that doesn't happen, look for SCV to be at the bottom of the top 12. It will pan out that way within a couple of weeks. And for the love of GOD .. for ONCE .. turn down your pit. Maybe that's why I was so disappointed with the brass book ... I couldn't even hear it. Not going to comment on the drumline other than to say ........ if I closed my eyes I expected them to be wearing white.

I didn't see Saginaw so I can't comment on Crown falling to 4th, but they didn't seem as crisp as I expected them to be at the theatre. Maybe an off night? If they were slotted, it's easy to drop a few points when you lose .1 - .3 across the boards.

Coats have a monster show. There is a 2 minute segment in there that had me scratching my head while looking for direction .. but that will surely be worked out. I hope they don't peek and hose again.

Cadets are SO dirty ... so out of control at this point. Which makes them all the more exciting. They really brought it ... and as they get things under control and get in the physical shape required to look like proper Cadets ..... watch out.

Cavies looked very polished, so I'm not sure where this show is going to go (even when they add the last 35 charts of drill). Great playing, excellent drill, better GE than I've seem from them in recent years (and I mean GE that is deserved of high reward). Great job by the Green Machine.

PR needs some rethinking on the first half of the show. The music is beautiful and I'm going to love listening to it over and over and over again. However, the show feels like a 10 minute ballad with 1:30 of wham bam added in. The front half of the show needs more visual content, some more tempo changes (or double time)and better transitions. Not sure I like the black plume with the new uniform, but I'll need to see it again to be sure. It seems like they are trying to tell a story without really telling the story. I say, if you're going to do it .. go all in. It might change the direction of the show, maybe add or swap out a number in the first half and give them the balance and flow they need to make this show championship ready.

Overall impression for the night was ....... WOW. Extremely impressive from 7 corps. Thoroughly enjoyable shows, great melody, great communication with the audience (the iron shield of borg/drone performance has been lifted ... and it's about 10 years overdue). SCV was a big disappointment and I'm very sad to say so. The kids are doing all they can, but the show is a dog thus far. Most corps need some work and rewrites on the back half of the show. I can't wait to see how Academy, Madison, Glassmen, Spirit and the rest of the pack figure in on this year. I haven't been this excited since 1993. Great night ..... and surely a great summer ahead.

Edited by supersop

How in the heck did a corps drop not only 3 spots but 4 points in a day?? I realize it's a different show with different judges but come on!

Exactly. Add the Bluecoats 1st & 7th place Percussion placements. These are more than "variances", IMO. And yet Cavaliers score almost identical numbers for both shows. I'm still not sure what exactly this all means.

"Cavies looked very polished, so I'm not sure where this show is going to go (even when they add the last 35 charts of drill). Great playing, excellent drill, better GE than I've seem from them in recent years (and I mean GE that is deserved of high reward). Great job by the Green Machine."

Better GE than "Mad World"?

Edited by AmFlag61

Exactly. Add the Bluecoats 1st & 7th place Percussion placements. These are more than "variances", IMO. And yet Cavaliers score almost identical numbers for both shows. I'm still not sure what exactly this all means.

"Cavies looked very polished, so I'm not sure where this show is going to go (even when they add the last 35 charts of drill). Great playing, excellent drill, better GE than I've seem from them in recent years (and I mean GE that is deserved of high reward). Great job by the Green Machine."

Better GE than "Mad World"?

I didn't specify years for a reason. Some years were absolutely great ...... such as Mad World. Others, not so much.

I just wanted to put the discussion of the results of the first 2 show results all under one thread. Because i was tired of going through three different threads about the same conversations. SOOOOOOO....

Saginaw Results

1. Crown 74.650

2. Cavies 74.300

3. BD 74.050

4. Cadets 71.050

5. PR 69.950

6. Coats 68.900

7. SCV 68.450

8. Stars 64.750

Round Rock Results

1. Cavies 74.350

2. Cadets 72.600

3. BD 72.550

4. Crown 70.600

5. Coats 70.150

6. PR 69.100

7. SCV 67.500

8. Stars 66.200

ready set go!!

Oh and according to DCP's Ranking System for the two shows combined

weighted

1.Cavaliers74.325+0.0306/19

2.Blue Devils73.300-0.7506/19

3.Carolina Crown72.625-2.0306/19

4.The Cadets72.050+0.5506/19

5.Bluecoats69.525+0.6306/19

6.Phantom Regiment69.525-0.4306/19

7.Santa Clara Vanguard66.175+1.3306/19

8.Blue Stars65.475+0.7306/19

unweighted

CorpsScoreChangeLast Show1.Cavaliers74.350+0.0506/19

2.The Cadets72.600+1.1006/19

3.Blue Devils72.550-1.5006/19

4.Carolina Crown70.600-4.0506/19

5.Bluecoats70.150+1.2506/19

6.Phantom Regiment69.100-0.8506/19

7.Santa Clara Vanguard67.500+2.6506/19

8.Blue Stars66.200+1.4506/19

Good start keep it up.

I think the results say as much about the state of judging as they do about the state of the corps. (Realizing I saw neither show) I'd just be surprised at that much fluctuation in performance from THESE groups even though it is June.

I think this is what happens when you take "groupthink" out of the judging. Anyone who thinks that judges normally score independently of what other judges have already thought of a corps, doesn't understand human nature and how opinions--even the opinions of judges--are influenced by others.

If DCI held back announcing scores for a whole week of competitions and you had a different judging panel every night who have no idea what the other judging panels thought, you would probably see a whole lot of fluctuation in the scores just as you saw in these two nights.

• Like 2

I wish I had seen the shows. :sad:

I think right now I'm not going to wrack my brain because I have a feeling everyone is pretty dirty right now but it is kind of exciting to see placements fluctuate over two days hahahaha...

sure. But do you really think Crown's run was 4 points worse than the previous night, when they thought they had a better show? Do you really think that Bluecoats percussion is capable of scoring first AND seventh on back to back days?

Yes, these things are possible. It seems to defy logic, but when examined it makes sense.

First show = 1st read for judges, incomplete shows, varying levels of performance from the corps.

Second show = 2nd read for the judges, and in some cases judging in different areas, again varying levels of performance, the order of the corps was reversed, and on and on.

We always say on here, and it's true, that it's not so much the score but the spread. I wouldn't look at it as Crown's score going down. Other corps were simply seen as being just as good, and the 2nd read for the judges helped to clarify to them where each of these shows are at the moment.

And of course this will change...it's a long season.