Why the TOC corps MAY be hard to catch...

And there we go comparing apples and tractors again. Can we please stop comparing scores from different shows?? They are IRRELEVANT!

Really ? So, if there are three shows and say show #1 has 80.00 Blue Devils 70.00 BAC, and 65.00 BK/Show#2 has 79.95 Cadets 69.95 Glassmen, and 63.15 Crossmen, and show #3 has 80.05 Cavaliers, 71.0 Madison Scouts, and 59.95 Pioneer....I can hope that when these corps meet hypothetically tomorrow (for example) BAC will beat the Cadets ? ..I mean these scores from different shows are meaningless and are no gauge on how well a corps is doing, right ??

You can compare scores from different shows..its been done for decades by many people and holds quite a bit of accuracy.......go back and check. Or not.

I wish people would stop declaring you cant compare scores from different shows. Just not so.

\

Geoffrey

I did some research and here is how the rankings are :

[snip]

..... :)

7/10, since everyone fell for it

I disagree. I think the whole G8 slotting system within the World Class Division ( slotting based upon what a Corps does in previous years competitions ) positively blows. It's unprecedented in the annals of competitive sport. No other example can be pointed to where what you have done in past years competition positions you more favorably in competition for the following year, or conversely, disadvantages you this year in competition based upon what transpired in previous year's competition. If you come into this season as a member of the G8 it's great. If you come into this season not a member of the G8 its the pits, and a " bad thing " every which way to Sunday, imo.

I agree. I feel that if this were the NCAA the playing rules would be the same across the board. Doesn't seem to me that the playing rules are the same here for all the corps. Even if we were talking about World versus Open class the playing rules should be the same in that regard also imo.

??

You can compare scores from different shows..its been done for decades by many people and holds quite a bit of accuracy.......go back and check. Or not.

Geoffrey

Ok.... The Academy scored a 79.200 on 7/16 last year. Madison's last show before the 16th, Madison scored a 78.600. SOOOO by this logic then, The Academy is better than the Madison Scouts ?

On 7/26 last year The Academy scored a 77.500. Their score went DOWN by 1.7 points in the week and a half in which they had no shows to compete in. What did they do in those 10 days to have their score go DOWN ? Did the staff take them to the beach to frolic in the surf, eat cotton candy, ride the ferris wheel, go dancing, and goof off at the beach and the cottages for a week and a half ? What happened ? Did they get WORSE in a week and a half ?

Of course not. They probably didn't deteriorate and backslide in those 10 days at all. They most likely improved and got better in those 10 days . The scores simply should not be compared from one show to the other, thats all.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I disagree. I think the whole G8 slotting system within the World Class Division (slotting based upon what a Corps does in previous years competitions) positively blows. It's unprecedented in the annals of competitive sport. No other example can be pointed to where what you have done in past years' competition positions you more favorably in competition for the following year, or conversely, disadvantages you this year in competition based upon what transpired in previous years' competition.

Isn't the order of team selections in the NFL draft inversely based on their success from the previous season?

Ok.... The Academy scored a 79.200 on 7/16 last year. Madison's last show before the 16th, Madison scored a 78.600. SOOOO by this logic then, The Academy is better than the Madison Scouts ?

On 7/26 last year The Academy scored a 77.500. Their score went DOWN by 1.7 points in the week and a half in which they had no shows to compete in. What did they do in those 10 days to have their score go DOWN ? Did the staff take them to the beach to frolic in the surf, eat cotton candy, ride the ferris wheel, go dancing, minature golf, etc and goof off at the beach and the cottage for a week and a half ? What happened ? Did they get WORSE in a week and a half ?

Of course not. They did not deteriorate and backslide in those 10 days at all.They most likely improved and got better in those 10 days. The scores simply can not be compared from one show to the other, thats all.

They can, and they have. If you dont want to subscribe to that theory, thats fine. THAT..is all !

Geoffrey

Isn't the order of team selections in the NFL draft inversely based on their success from the previous season?

You can go on and on. Racing, golf, tennis -- all kinds of advantages based on past performance.

Which is why...

Drum Corps : : Sports Analogies Always Fail !