DCA AND DCI JOIN FORCES!

Collaboration makes sense to me. Personally, I've been struggling over the past few years to try and see drum corps live. We saw semis and finals at Indy live in 2010, a 4 hour flight to Toronto, 3 hour layover and a 1 hour flight to Indy. When I fly to T.O. I'd like to spend 2 weekends seeing a DCI and DCA show in the neighburhood on less than 1 hour flight. No worries. A few friends from T.O. are going to Rochester this year. Its not far for them :-) It's far for me. Maybe I'll go to Stanford next year ;-)

So we've gone from merging marketing resources to combining DCI/DCA Finals overnight... Is that a new speed record for stretching a premise or did I miss one. :devil:

PS - If the last few weeks of the DCA season are cut back to match DCI too much money will be lost in a season that is already shorter than the past. Ain't gonna happen....

So we've gone from merging marketing resources to combining DCI/DCA Finals overnight... Is that a new speed record for stretching a premise or did I miss one. :devil:

PS - If the last few weeks of the DCA season are cut back to match DCI too much money will be lost in a season that is already shorter than the past. Ain't gonna happen....

personally i think its to long a season anyway and lots of younger members complaining.....but who knows time will tell all . I just wouldnt be shocked about several things

Should the joint initiative between the circuits develop into a much closer relationship as a result of success and survival, MANY fences will come down.

There is no need for the championship of either circuit to be the final show of the year. There is a mindset that the final performance brings the highest score strictly because the season is under their collective belts. Once we break the mindset, a combined world championship could be help on August 1st if necessary. Box 5 is still box 5 no matter what the points assigned to it.

So let's suppose we have an August 1 combined World Championship weekend...... No doubt that it would be a HUGE draw. It would take a few tries to set a weekend schedule that puts the right corps on the field at the same time and still keep circuit integrity.

After that, the circuits could go back to finishing their seasons on whatever date they wish, with contests after August 1 featuring the current World Champions in their line up. That, too, is a big draw.

Anything is possible when:

1 Economics encourages cooperation, and

2 Good people who run both decide they want to advance the activity through honest innovation and cooperation.

and the folks I see running DCI and DCA are certainly "good people."

Should the joint initiative between the circuits develop into a much closer relationship as a result of success and survival, MANY fences will come down.

There is no need for the championship of either circuit to be the final show of the year. There is a mindset that the final performance brings the highest score strictly because the season is under their collective belts. Once we break the mindset, a combined world championship could be help on August 1st if necessary. Box 5 is still box 5 no matter what the points assigned to it.

So let's suppose we have an August 1 combined World Championship weekend...... No doubt that it would be a HUGE draw. It would take a few tries to set a weekend schedule that puts the right corps on the field at the same time and still keep circuit integrity.

After that, the circuits could go back to finishing their seasons on whatever date they wish, with contests after August 1 featuring the current World Champions in their line up. That, too, is a big draw.

Anything is possible when:

1 Economics encourages cooperation, and

2 Good people who run both decide they want to advance the activity through honest innovation and cooperation.

and the folks I see running DCI and DCA are certainly "good people."

I think that you hit the nail right on the head. I can't count the number of times that I've seen people post on DCP saying "Bring back the Dream". I don't know how well it would fly in the rest of the country, but in the northeast people would step on their own sister to get into a show like that.

personally i think its to long a season anyway and lots of younger members complaining.....but who knows time will tell all . I just wouldnt be shocked about several things

What are the complaints about? Anything other than conflicts with school last part of August? Just wondering as I come from the Memorial Day to Labor Day weekend season.

LOL I wouldn't be surprised about anything either, especially if it helps the survival of the circuits. If you told be back in the 70s what Drum Corps would be like today, I would have said yer nutz. Now I believe in the old James Bond movie title "Never Say Never".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

As someone who does not like the direction DCI has taken the past few years I’m skeptical about how this will all work. I have not supported DCI or any of its member corps for a few years now and do not plan to anytime soon. So, if by DCA using some of DCI's resources and DCI is profiting from that (fee's for using their ticket services etc.)then I for one will have to reconsider my DCA purchases as well.

My post is not to re-hash the debate between DCA & DCI so please keep that to another thread. I just wanted to throw my opinion out there as all the comments have been positive and I wanted to share another opinion.

• Like 1

I agree, Jim.

Plus, at that point in early August, the DCA corps aren't yet in "championship form" due to the weekend-only nature of the product. And in a dual championship format, the DCA corps would seemingly always be taking a back seat to the DCI corps.

At any championship.... DCI or DCA... I would think the entire focus should be on those corps in that particular circuit.... not a bright spotlight on one set of corps and a dimmer spotlight on another.

The marketing tie-in is a great idea... like others have said, overdue. Hats off to Gil and Dan and whoever else was involved in getting this done.

But I hope it doesn't lead to DCA corps mimicking the DCI product (for lack of a better phrase) and becoming, for all intents and purposes, weekend-only DCI corps.

• Like 2

I agree, Jim.

Plus, at that point in early August, the DCA corps aren't yet in "championship form" due to the weekend-only nature of the product. And in a dual championship format, the DCA corps would seemingly always be taking a back seat to the DCI corps.

At any championship.... DCI or DCA... I would think the entire focus should be on those corps in that particular circuit.... not a bright spotlight on one set of corps and a dimmer spotlight on another.

The marketing tie-in is a great idea... like others have said, overdue. Hats off to Gil and Dan and whoever else was involved in getting this done.

But I hope it doesn't lead to DCA corps mimicking the DCI product (for lack of a better phrase) and becoming, for all intents and purposes, weekend-only DCI corps.

I understand what you are saying so are you opposed to the format like the old dream contest? Seems many DCA people would love that again. Seems to me it may do just as you say DCA corps would take a back seat in many forms then....as far as DCA mimicking DCI , what do you mean show design or style? IF thats what you mean I think alot of that has been happening for many years, with many

( not all ) staff crossovers maybe

Edited by GUARDLING

Let's let DCI and DCA begin with small steps. If that proves to be beneficial to both parties, and the activity as a whole, then a serious look at further co-operation would be in order. I am cautiously optomistic.

As far as the topic of "Championships" goes...let's not forget there used to be numerous championship shows, i.e. the Dream, CYO Nats, Leg. Nats, VFW Nats, World Open, US Open, DCI finals, DCA finals. The more championship shows there are, the more chances exist for any corps to claim one...or more.

• Like 1