Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

No.  Seriously, this is a line they should not cross.  Mic the soloists...meh..okay I suppose but the whole line or ensemble just creates more disparity and fake sound.

46 minutes ago, brians said:

not necessarily, a good mixer in the long run could save in members, horn, transportation, costs etc...

So maybe there should be some sort of cut-off in which when your hornline contains a certain number of members, you are not allowed to perform with any overhead mics? That's actually not a bad idea. And while we're at it, there could also be a threshold in terms of the number of tubas in a hornline, or perhaps the ratio of tubas to the rest of the hornline, after which the use of a "synth bass" is not allowed.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

I had a problem with it and SCV’s show this past weekend. It really ruined the show as what you hear doesn’t match up with what you see which, I’d call a (Musical) GE disaster. I couldn’t tell you what the rest of the horn line was playing underneath it as they were drowned out, they could have been blowing donuts for all I know. As mentioned, at least twice the entire horn line is on the left and I heard the sound from the right speaker. They was no blend or ensemble balance between the mic’ed horns and the rest of the horn line. And being a small ensemble, it sounded very thin (again, killing Effect)

The effect is a cheat as it’s not featured and not part of the show theme. If they were to judge it accurately, it would have been nailed on the GE and the ensemble sheets

So now I’ve been told I have to study the shows to understand them and also sit in amp appropriate seats to hear them, that’s nuts

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I had a problem with it and SCV’s show this past weekend. It really ruined the show as what you hear doesn’t match up with what you see which, I’d call a (Musical) GE disaster. I couldn’t tell you what the rest of the horn line was playing underneath it as they were drowned out, they could have been blowing donuts for all I know. As mentioned, at least twice the entire horn line is on the left and I heard the sound from the right speaker. They was no blend or ensemble balance between the mic’ed horns and the rest of the horn line. And being a small ensemble, it sounded very thin (again, killing Effect)

The effect is a cheat as it’s not featured and not part of the show theme. If they were to judge it accurately, it would have been nailed on the GE and the ensemble sheets

So now I’ve been told I have to study the shows to understand them and also sit in amp appropriate seats to hear them, that’s nuts

100% agree. 

Whatever you do ... Do not watch these shows from a low seat. 

I saw Bluecoats last year from a seat my best friend bought for me. Since he got them late they were down low / up front and on the left of the 50. It was dam confusing trying to figure out the sounds. I was turned off with the show from then on. Not to mention seeing those costumes up close was a problem. 

14 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

So maybe there should be some sort of cut-off in which when your hornline contains a certain number of members, you are not allowed to perform with any overhead mics? That's actually not a bad idea. And while they're at it, there could also be a threshold in terms of the number of tubas in a hornline, or perhaps the ratio of tubas to the rest of the hornline, after which the use of a "synth bass" is not allowed.

I used to say that there should be a small penalty for every microphone used (and a larger one for every synthesizer used), in an effort to maintain the acoustic nature which I felt was central to the very idea of drum and bugle corps: force them to make some hard choices: if every mic costs you half a tenth, and every synth costs you half a point, how much will having the sound those enhancements offer bring you in return? Give them a half-dozen mics for free, if you wish. Or the first synth at only half the cost of the second and third.

My suggestion didn't sit well with many posters here.

I wonder if yours will.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

You must be having a real problem this year.  (Don't look.)

Dude Brah. It is not good. not good at all. jumpsuits for the win. Elvis lives. 

Here's SCV's hornline without mics...

As you can see, the mics are merely an effect and the hornline is incredibly good.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Here's SCV's hornline without mics...

As you can see, the mics are merely an effect and the hornline is incredibly good.

I've been watching way more of these warm-up videos and encores than I have the shows themselves this summer.

7 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I've been watching way more of these warm-up videos and encores than I have the shows themselves this summer.

Change 'watching way more' to 'enjoying way more' and I am in 100% agreement!!!!

• Like 2