bridgeport

Very brief Bridgeport thoughts. I was covering the show for Drum Corps World, so subscribe if you want to read an entire recap of things :)

All exhibition units were fantastic. Westchester Brassmen had 47 brass and one of the best drum lines of the night. What a more than pleasant surprise.

(I only really counted horns and all numbers not guaranteed but close)

Fusion: 22 brass. A nice show. Still many things to clean up. Horns were best section imho and sounded like 30-40. Keep cleaning, they're in good shape.

Bush: 13 horns, 9 drum line, 8 pit, 6 guard. Very admirable performance. Holes everywhere, but music was recognizable and performed with much professionalism. Lots to add, lots to clean, but they'll survive and then some.

Cabs: 47 horns or so. To me, the hardest show of the night by far. With that, still on the dirty side. I know 6 points is a huge gap and many have been picking on them since Wildwood....but I'll jump on the Hawthorne bandwagon and say this: If they could actually clean it all (a huge undertaking), I think they can compete for the top. Please no flames for that statement, simply my opinion, but they attempted some things that could be very impressive once/if clean. Time wwill tell.

Bucs: 58 horns. Always polished early season, very strong performance. Show connects with audience a little more than past offerings. Can be caught I'm sure, I say that every year...but will they? We shall see. But a great performance.

Empire: 44 horns. I will be curious to see this show develop through the year. Didn't seem to connect with audience like past ES performances, but it is only July 2. Thought Hurcs beat them by more, but it was a nice show. Holes in the drill very evident. Looks like if they fill them, they'd be marching 50ish in horn line. Percussion improved, guard was terrific.

Hurricanes: Solid performance. 40 or so horns. Only 7 sopranos, but they weren't buried by others. Brass has stamina issues. Best guard of the night and percussion had to be close.

Bucs won all specials except guard and honor guard which went to Hurcs.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review on Bridgeport ,nice job gives insight into all corps there.

Edited by Florida Sun

The hurcs always freak out when their guard isn't pulling the sled. Their guard is just that good.

Very brief Bridgeport thoughts. I was covering the show for Drum Corps World, so subscribe if you want to read an entire recap of things :)

All exhibition units were fantastic. Westchester Brassmen had 47 brass and one of the best drum lines of the night. What a more than pleasant surprise.

(I only really counted horns and all numbers not guaranteed but close)

Fusion: 22 brass. A nice show. Still many things to clean up. Horns were best section imho and sounded like 30-40. Keep cleaning, they're in good shape.

Bush: 13 horns, 9 drum line, 8 pit, 6 guard. Very admirable performance. Holes everywhere, but music was recognizable and performed with much professionalism. Lots to add, lots to clean, but they'll survive and then some.

Cabs: 47 horns or so. To me, the hardest show of the night by far. With that, still on the dirty side. I know 6 points is a huge gap and many have been picking on them since Wildwood....but I'll jump on the Hawthorne bandwagon and say this: If they could actually clean it all (a huge undertaking), I think they can compete for the top. Please no flames for that statement, simply my opinion, but they attempted some things that could be very impressive once/if clean. Time wwill tell.

Bucs: 58 horns. Always polished early season, very strong performance. Show connects with audience a little more than past offerings. Can be caught I'm sure, I say that every year...but will they? We shall see. But a great performance.

Empire: 44 horns. I will be curious to see this show develop through the year. Didn't seem to connect with audience like past ES performances, but it is only July 2. Thought Hurcs beat them by more, but it was a nice show. Holes in the drill very evident. Looks like if they fill them, they'd be marching 50ish in horn line. Percussion improved, guard was terrific.

Hurricanes: Solid performance. 40 or so horns. Only 7 sopranos, but they weren't buried by others. Brass has stamina issues. Best guard of the night and percussion had to be close.

i've seen cabs pull a rabbit out of the hat before. 1966 A.L. NATS. came in 5th at prelims and won finals. never count them out.

I think he was meaning that it was not a surprise that the Bucs won, even though he was not there either.

Exactly.

WINDSOR , FUSION and BUSH should become one corps .

No they absolutely should not. We're talking about 3 distinctly different organizations here that all bring something unique to the table. One with decades of history behind them and two carving out a niche of their own. Viva la difference!

• Like 1

Surpised no one mentioned the size of the crowd ? for $5.00 bucks both slides of the staduim should have been packed .I guess all corps stayed over to do the Barnum Parade today .Always loved the parade ,great crowds ,cheering on the corps most of the parade route .Last time i marched that was with Sunrisers ,we where waitting to go out as the skys darken up.Just as we lined up and started the skys opened up.God did it rain that year ,knocked a few guard members off balance at one of the turns in the parade .We where to do a field exbition after the parade .But the field was under water ,stand still on the track was settled for.

I'll mention it. The crowd was huge :)

Surpised no one mentioned the size of the crowd ? for $5.00 bucks both slides of the staduim should have been packed .I guess all corps stayed over to do the Barnum Parade today .Always loved the parade ,great crowds ,cheering on the corps most of the parade route .Last time i marched that was with Sunrisers ,we where waitting to go out as the skys darken up.Just as we lined up and started the skys opened up.God did it rain that year ,knocked a few guard members off balance at one of the turns in the parade .We where to do a field exbition after the parade .But the field was under water ,stand still on the track was settled for.

I'll mention it. The crowd was huge :)

I'll vouch for that - Much bigger than last year, and certainly bigger than Monday night's DCI show in Bridgeport. Granted, that was a Monday night, the good seats were twenty-five bucks (Which was worth it just for Scouts and Xmen alone!), and, living 25 minutes from the stadium I saw ZERO local marketing, but I'm just sayin'. Not quite back up to the days when it was packed endzone to endzone, but a really impressive mob o' folks, nonetheless!