Motivation, I Need Some

nm

Edited by BRASSO

desire is what goes a long way in drum corps, IMO. Look around the ranks of the world class corps. These lines are not filled with "all state" level players, but rather good players who are willing to bust their #####, take criticism to heart, and improve.

when you show up in December, a few weeks after you went in November, if the staff gave you stuff to work on, you need to be able to show that you worked on it and improved.

don't try to do it all at once...if you try to change eating and physical activity habits all at the same time, you'll set yourself up for failure.

try working out 4-5 days per week for 2 weeks. not too hard. anything physical that you don't normally do. doing it for a couple of weeks will help you build a habit. then set an easily reachable goal over the next week, and work for it.

if you do that and make it a habit, your eating will fall in line pretty automatically.

• Like 1

desire is what goes a long way in drum corps, IMO. Look around the ranks of the world class corps. These lines are not filled with "all state" level players, but rather good players who are willing to bust their #####, take criticism to heart, and improve.

when you show up in December, a few weeks after you went in November, if the staff gave you stuff to work on, you need to be able to show that you worked on it and improved.

I agree. If we assume a potential marcher has the basic requisite music skills that are required these days to make a spot in line, then the rest is nothing but willingness, and the completion of assignments that is needed, imo.. I've seen, and continue to see, marchers with some level of physical handicaps march. So this isn't rocket science here as to what is needed by a potential candidate to find a Corps that'll be a good fit for them.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

That's my attitude too. Have faith in yourself bro. It's not about being the best talent-wise, it's about being the best worker and contributor to the corps. I've seen kids who were immensely more talented than others that didn't do squat and ended up getting beat. It's all about pushing yourself, doing all you can do, and letting the cards fall as they may. Just keep preparing yourself physically, musically, and mentally, and you'll be just fine. Hopefully we'll be able to catch each other on tour next year. :thumbup:

And on a side note, at least you know where you wanna go. Some of us are still on the fence. :tongue:

How's the saying go...hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard? That absolutely applies here.

• Like 1

How's the saying go...hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard? That absolutely applies here.

It's an extremely true statement. You see it a lot in school, both inside and outside of the band room. It's sometimes a hard lesson to learn, but it's a good reminder to perservere and always give everything your best show, because if you do, you'll always be rewarded by someone. That's the mindset I'm taking into this fall.

Long after I entered the USAF in 66 with two years of eligibility lost, D&BC started including training in their programs. In 06, I began training as a Masters track sprinter, never having ran track at any level. I've learned that a strong core is critical and probably important to todays D&BC members. Here are some exercises that anyone should add to their workouts.

On this first site, scroll down to the thumbnail pictures and click on "What is core training?" After that short video is over, after a 10 sec. or so pause, it goes into the next exercise. They get harder as it progresses. Believe the dead bug is at the end.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2359458_dead-bug-core-exercise.html

Again, on this next one, scroll down to "Glute Bridge" and begin with that video.

http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/workouts/accelerate-faster.html

This core performance site is great for nutrition and other healthy stuff.

Finally, because of track, I no longer do a drill I used to do years ago for racquetball. It is a drill for anyone who does a lot of start and stops, whether in sports or D&BC. Can be done on a sidewalk if you wish. Set a course of 50 or 100 yards, but know where the 50 yd. mark is if it's 100 yds. long. One set consists of jogging 50yds, sprinting 50yds, jogging 50yds, and walking 50yds. Keep track of how many sets you do and over time, you'll be increasing your number of sets. Had my resting HR in the 50's after doing these for a month or so.

Edited by Ghost

Long after I entered the USAF in 66 with two years of eligibility lost, D&BC started including training in their programs. In 06, I began training as a Masters track sprinter, never having ran track at any level. I've learned that a strong core is critical and probably important to todays D&BC members. Here are some exercises that anyone should add to their workouts.

On this first site, scroll down to the thumbnail pictures and click on "What is core training?" After that short video is over, after a 10 sec. or so pause, it goes into the next exercise. They get harder as it progresses. Believe the dead bug is at the end.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2359458_dead-bug-core-exercise.html

Again, on this next one, scroll down to "Glute Bridge" and begin with that video.

http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/workouts/accelerate-faster.html

This core performance site is great for nutrition and other healthy stuff.

Finally, because of track, I no longer do a drill I used to do years ago for racquetball. It is a drill for anyone who does a lot of start and stops, whether in sports or D&BC. Can be done on a sidewalk if you wish. Set a course of 50 or 100 yards, but know where the 50 yd. mark is if it's 100 yds. long. One set consists of jogging 50yds, sprinting 50yds, jogging 50yds, and walking 50yds. Keep track of how many sets you do and over time, you'll be increasing your number of sets. Had my resting HR in the 50's after doing these for a month or so.

I'll look at that for sure, Thanks!

I think about doing things, but they never get done. I guess that's my problem. I dunno, lately I've gotten sick of just watching, I had the opportunity to go audition this last summer, but didn't. I just want to make sure the 4th of the last 4 I have a chance to be a part of don't turn out the same way.

I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been said before. Keep in mind too that I'm just a grumpy old fart and nobody special....

The responsibility for the motivation you ask for is - all yours. If you want it bad enough you'll do what it takes - if you don't, you won't and you'll have plenty of time to regret it later. It's harsh but it's that simple. The same will be true in all things in your life. Don't go to your boss saying you want a promotion but don't have the drive to work for it and that you expect him/her to pump you up for it. You will not get that job. Ever.

So don't look outside yourself, look inside. It's a virtue that drum corps will reinforce and you'll come out the other side a stronger person than you ever thought possible, but it all has to come from you. No pep talk will change that. No staff member will be standing over you when you're at home trying to learn the charts or clean up your technique - you have to put that time in on your own. The most potent form of discipline is self-discipline.

I hope you find it in yourself to go for it. Do the work and you're in for a wild ride.

Grandpa.

I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been said before. Keep in mind too that I'm just a grumpy old fart and nobody special....

The responsibility for the motivation you ask for is - all yours. If you want it bad enough you'll do what it takes - if you don't, you won't and you'll have plenty of time to regret it later. It's harsh but it's that simple. The same will be true in all things in your life. Don't go to your boss saying you want a promotion but don't have the drive to work for it and that you expect him/her to pump you up for it. You will not get that job. Ever.

So don't look outside yourself, look inside. It's a virtue that drum corps will reinforce and you'll come out the other side a stronger person than you ever thought possible, but it all has to come from you. No pep talk will change that. No staff member will be standing over you when you're at home trying to learn the charts or clean up your technique - you have to put that time in on your own. The most potent form of discipline is self-discipline.

I hope you find it in yourself to go for it. Do the work and you're in for a wild ride.

Grandpa.

Well I worked out for an hour today, ate no junk food, and no cokes so I guess that's a start. :thumbup: