Brief Bridgeport Review

Lighting up the crowd doesn't mean they were clean. God I wish people could understand that

Whoa... I never implied that I thought because a corps "lit up the crowd" that they were clean. I am well aware of the difference.

The main point I was trying to make is that it seems to me like a corps, in this judging system today, has to work EXTRA hard to have ANY vertical movement at all- UP or DOWN and that a show is NOT being judged on its own on any given night.

Edited by irishbugle

Whoa... I never implied that I thought because a corps "lit up the crowd" that they were clean. I am well aware of the difference.

The main point I was trying to make is that it seems to me like a corps, in this judging system today, has to work EXTRA hard to have ANY vertical movement at all- UP or DOWN and that a show is NOT being judged on its own on any given night.

Really? Explain Cabs jump in percussion to finals last year?

The bottom line is the more prepared you cone out of the gate, the better your shot. If you play catch up all year in getting the show done before you can deep clean, you're screwed. Your competitors have already begun deep cleaning. If they have changes to work in and you do too, you're double screwed.

In a system with derived achievement, if the how isn't performed well, or as well as others you won't get love for the what.

And no offense, older systems were far more subjective because the criteria for judges to work with was haphazard at best. There was no unified description of a tick. Personally I prefer the system DCA had until this year, but I understand the change. In some ways it may actually benefit corps when it comes to the removal of field visual

• Like 1

Really? Explain Cabs jump in percussion to finals last year?

The bottom line is the more prepared you cone out of the gate, the better your shot. If you play catch up all year in getting the show done before you can deep clean, you're screwed. Your competitors have already begun deep cleaning. If they have changes to work in and you do too, you're double screwed.

In a system with derived achievement, if the how isn't performed well, or as well as others you won't get love for the what.

And no offense, older systems were far more subjective because the criteria for judges to work with was haphazard at best. There was no unified description of a tick. Personally I prefer the system DCA had until this year, but I understand the change. In some ways it may actually benefit corps when it comes to the removal of field visual

OMG agree with you again ! Whats this world coming to :tongue:

The only real problem I have with the current DCA system is that the brass caption is judges from the field. if we're going to have only one brass judge, he should be in the box. The way it stands now, we're not judging the best brass line, but rather the 'best collection of brass players'. DCI does it that way as well, and frankly, it sucks.

Hopefully, enough people will realize the problem and a change will be made in the future.

• Like 3

The only real problem I have with the current DCA system is that the brass caption is judges from the field. if we're going to have only one brass judge, he should be in the box. The way it stands now, we're not judging the best brass line, but rather the 'best collection of brass players'. DCI does it that way as well, and frankly, it sucks.

Hopefully, enough people will realize the problem and a change will be made in the future.

Amen. Now, back to the shadows... :ph34r:

I haven't been around as much as I'd like to, the last year or so, to see and evaluate what's being presented by everyone in contention in 2011, however, IMHO, this has been what has happened over the last 4-5 years with the Caballeros Competing Corps; doing some really intricate and challenging stuff. Reading has always been better prepared when the season opens when I have been around to see all of them, and then the catch up efforts begin. I have loved what the Caballeros Competing Corps has always tried to do since I've been watching them since 2002, and they can't quite get there by the time September rolls around. It would be interesting to see what the outcome whould be if the competition season was one month longer, as to who then would be on top? I am also wondering if it would make a difference to implement a 2-year program to get any of them over the "hump" to win the DCA Championship (i.e. get the music out early)?

• Like 1

I haven't been around as much as I'd like to, the last year or so, to see and evaluate what's being presented by everyone in contention in 2011, however, IMHO, this has been what has happened over the last 4-5 years with the Caballeros Competing Corps; doing some really intricate and challenging stuff. Reading has always been better prepared when the season opens when I have been around to see all of them, and then the catch up efforts begin. I have loved what the Caballeros Competing Corps has always tried to do since I've been watching them since 2002, and they can't quite get there by the time September rolls around. It would be interesting to see what the outcome whould be if the competition season was one month longer, as to who then would be on top? I am also wondering if it would make a difference to implement a 2-year program to get any of them over the "hump" to win the DCA Championship (i.e. get the music out early)?

With most corps, the music is ready very early, it's filling spots that's the problem. I have been fortunate enough to be in involved in a few seasons where the corps I was with pulled off the ultimate come from behind. The big difference was that we had the rehearsal time, performance opportunities, experience level and staff that were able to pinpoint and accomplish what needed to get done. Nowadays, it seems that the average season consists of 6-9 shows, very few Sundays and a weekend or 2 off so, if you're behind, it's a wrap. the question of a different outcome with another month is moot because, it ain't gonna happen.

Btw, I can explain the Cabs jump in percussion in finals last year,and will also say that it could have legitimately come a show or 2 earlier, it was all butt busting work and determination in the face of more adversity than any program I have ever seen.

WHAT!!!!! a month longer..ughhhhhhh and really what difference would it make..We've all said at one time or another" Oh if we only had another few weeks, blah blah blah " well the fact of the matter is we dont. You dont add weeks so the weaker can get better, whats that point. Everyone knows the time frame. If you can meet it fine if not Oh well. Another thing what makes you think the outcome wouldnt be the same. The pro prepares period , no matter what the length of the season is.

As far as the system you dont create a system for someone to WIN a winner works the system to success. Make allowences for the other and that would be an on going process. Ever hear a parent say { I give you an inch and you take a foot?)JMO

• Like 1

Nowadays, it seems that the average season consists of 6-9 shows, very few Sundays and a weekend or 2 off so, if you're behind, it's a wrap. the question of a different outcome with another month is moot because, it ain't gonna happen.

I understand the dynamics of the "average" season, which can't be extended, with the DCA organizations basically going inactive after the 1st week in September. All I was speculating is what the outcome would be with the additional month to get your presentation championship ready to execute. I would like to think that the outcome would be alot closer than what we've been seeing these past few years, and possibly even a different champion at the end. The seven "P's", which is what Reading has been doing me thinks.

I understand the dynamics of the "average" season, which can't be extended, with the DCA organizations basically going inactive after the 1st week in September. All I was speculating is what the outcome would be with the additional month to get your presentation championship ready to execute. I would like to think that the outcome would be alot closer than what we've been seeing these past few years, and possibly even a different champion at the end. The seven "P's", which is what Reading has been doing me thinks.

heres a thought how about those who feel its not enough time start earlier and be ready..lol