Brief Bridgeport Review

I understand the dynamics of the "average" season, which can't be extended, with the DCA organizations basically going inactive after the 1st week in September. All I was speculating is what the outcome would be with the additional month to get your presentation championship ready to execute. I would like to think that the outcome would be alot closer than what we've been seeing these past few years, and possibly even a different champion at the end. The seven "P's", which is what Reading has been doing me thinks.

The Bucs have had, IMO, the toughest all around shows in DCA since 2004. Yet every year, they've come out full or close to full, and more prepared. They start deep cleaning in June. If another corps can do that, we have a race. What kept it close last year was, IMO, Bucs couldn't fully clean it.

It's no secret how to do it. We took that approach in 96, and rehearsed less than many of our competitors. Would some Sundays in August helped us? Sure, but the staff didn't want to burn us out, and they had a plan. Brigs had the same approach during their run.

It ain't rocket science

The Bucs have had, IMO, the toughest all around shows in DCA since 2004. Yet every year, they've come out full or close to full, and more prepared. They start deep cleaning in June. If another corps can do that, we have a race. What kept it close last year was, IMO, Bucs couldn't fully clean it.

It's no secret how to do it. We took that approach in 96, and rehearsed less than many of our competitors. Would some Sundays in August helped us? Sure, but the staff didn't want to burn us out, and they had a plan. Brigs had the same approach during their run.

It ain't rocket science

Absolutely.

As a wise man (not me....LOL) once said...

The time to beat another corps is not necessarily from the first show in June through Labor Day weekend. It's from the day after Labor Day weekend until the first show... meaning off-season/pre-season preparation.

• Like 1

I understand the dynamics of the "average" season, which can't be extended, with the DCA organizations basically going inactive after the 1st week in September. All I was speculating is what the outcome would be with the additional month to get your presentation championship ready to execute. I would like to think that the outcome would be alot closer than what we've been seeing these past few years, and possibly even a different champion at the end. The seven "P's", which is what Reading has been doing me thinks.

I don't think the outcome would be different. You are assuming the Bucs would put the same product on the field. If they had an additional month to compete and clean, I imagine they would be trying to create an even more challenging production, but still end up being more prepared than the other groups. More time for everyone will not solve the problem. I do not believe the Bucs show to be easier to clean than the other groups. They are just more prepared. An additional month added would not change that, at this point.

Absolutely.

As a wise man (not me....LOL) once said...

The time to beat another corps is not necessarily from the first show in June through Labor Day weekend. It's from the day after Labor Day weekend until the first show... meaning off-season/pre-season preparation.

Sounds very much like what Jim Costello used to preach to us: "Championships are won in the winter time, not the summer."

He didn't appreciate members missing off-season rehearsals, because he believed they were every bit as important as those during the competitive season, if not more.

• Like 1

I don't think the outcome would be different. You are assuming the Bucs would put the same product on the field. If they had an additional month to compete and clean, I imagine they would be trying to create an even more challenging production, but still end up being more prepared than the other groups. More time for everyone will not solve the problem. I do not believe the Bucs show to be easier to clean than the other groups. They are just more prepared. An additional month added would not change that, at this point.

Isn't there a point of diminished returns here, where you get to a point where you may double up on the rehearsal time, but improve slightly? I guess all that I was trying to say is that, one, that if a show is pretty much cleaned up in June when you take the field in July, as Jeff has indicated here, how much more can you improve to the end of the season, i.e. diminished returns? Low '80's to high 90's when DCA's roll around if you're on top lately? And two, as I previously indicated, would the "spreads" then tighten up or possibly even change?

And "Captain", I see from your posting that Cos had that "formula" down and I do believe that for the last number of years now, Reading is obviously doing that better than anyone else, all year 'round.

Thanks for a good review! :thumbup:

As for who is in and who is not and who is where, anyone familiar with 1981, 1982 and 1983 as intimately as I am know things can change. Sit back, let's see if it does. Que Sera, Sera.

Isn't there a point of diminished returns here, where you get to a point where you may double up on the rehearsal time, but improve slightly? I guess all that I was trying to say is that, one, that if a show is pretty much cleaned up in June when you take the field in July, as Jeff has indicated here, how much more can you improve to the end of the season, i.e. diminished returns? Low '80's to high 90's when DCA's roll around if you're on top lately? And two, as I previously indicated, would the "spreads" then tighten up or possibly even change?

And "Captain", I see from your posting that Cos had that "formula" down and I do believe that for the last number of years now, Reading is obviously doing that better than anyone else, all year 'round.

I think all comments and scenarios are valid on this. However we're only looking at it from the positive side for the corps that are in the chase position. What if they actually had a worse performance with the extra week?

"Success is acheived when preparation meets opportunity" When the season schedule is released, all corps have the same opportunities to prepare for their success. At that stage it doesn't matter if the season is a week longer OR shorter. All groups know what they have to do and should prepare accordingly.

• Like 2

In the 82,83 off season Sunrisers had there best off season rehersals of any year .The payoff was another DCA Championship .We where invited by Skyliners to partake in thier corps outing .We told them thank you but we had rehersal all weekend .They said why you just won the last 6 shows ,we said we wanted to continue our winning ways .So it pays ,someone is always ready to replace you in frist place .Its just as hard holding on to frist as it is chasing after it .

• Like 1

The fact is , the area that Reading has had the most success in is not resting on the previous year's accomplishments. They've been able to have winters that match their summers, therefore, they keep it moving.

• Like 1

The fact is , the area that Reading has had the most success in is not resting on the previous year's accomplishments. They've been able to have winters that match their summers, therefore, they keep it moving.

Question: What is their average retainage of membership from year to year, on the run they have going? Seems to me that it would be pretty high for this to be effective.