DCI Akron, OH

Just got back from the show. Great night of drum corps. Stadium was quite filled with people. I'd say close to 6k or more.

Some quick thoughts:

1. Crown - a very good show. Not quite as exciting as I thought it might be judging from what I had seen on the Fan Network. The first half is very nice, but the show stalls. They are marching very well, brass was lush and in tune, and very controlled. They need to work the last 3rd of this production.

2. Bluecoats - they were HOT tonight. Very nice performance and much much improved from what I saw on Fan Network and from spring training. Their percussion line was outstanding, the brass was tight, with crisp dynamics and big hits, and the guard is sporting some of the most eye-catching uniforms you will see this summer. The show will need some work to bring the middle ballad section to a more artistic climax. Very little phasing for a corps that spreads the field as much as Blooo. Really starting to like the closing music. Excellent groove. They just need to tweak and re-work a few things in the show to bring the theme to the audience a bit more, but as for talent they are really loaded. Once they clean they will be dangerous.

3. Madison Scouts - maybe the best opener on the field. Just electric! The middle section is really well done, too. Big brass sound, percussion is improved but not quite ready to compete with Bluecoats, BD, Cavies, Cadets. Guard was sloppy but exciting. Love the musical arrangements. Their downfall as of now is the last part of the closer. They need to re-work the drill some to better convey what the music is giving them. I felt that I should have been standing a minute before they finished, but it's not quite there yet. Some sloppy marching at times. Plenty to clean, but if they do I can see them giving Phantom and SCV a run.

4. Boston - I love this show. Not a super exciting, stand up and scream type of show. This is more subtle, artistic, and filled with some majestic fanfare. OUTSTANDING drill design here. Their visual ensemble composition number had them in 2nd in that part of the caption. I might have had them in 1st in visual ensemble composition. This has not been talked about much on DCP, but Boston has a stunning visual package that if the other components come into focus, they could be a dark horse for top 6. Brass is good and balanced. Percussion is good. I love the guard outfits, and the theme of the show is coming across. It's great to hear Les Miserables on the field again, along with 1812 Overture and some other stuff. Their only downfall is at the end: you can't play the power chords of 1812 in a company front and then wince away from the uptempo, double-tongue brass fanfare. I realize they wanted to go into more Les Miz, but the audience knows 1812 too well, so it ends up being a psych out and a let down. Re-write this, at least 16 measure or so, then bring back Les Miz. Otherwise, great show! One of my favorites of the night. Also, some wonderful solo playing in this show.

5. Spirit - LOUD, LOUD, LOUD! They have a big sound. Nice trumpet soloist. Music is fun, but the show lacks direction. The opening drill design was excellent, then it faded. Definitely a contender for top 12.

6. Crossmen - I liked their show a bit more than Spirit. The drill is more defined, taking the thoughts of the music from idea to idea. Music is fun and easy to listen to. They need some work, and I am not sure they can make top 12, but they will be a treat when it all starts clicking.

7. Pioneer - Not sure what happened with these guys. Last year they must have had 48 to 50 brass. This year: 20. The kids are good and do a wonderful job. The show is designed for a larger ensemble. The music needs more melodic development, especially when you're not big enough to effectively pull off the more complex arranging/orchestration styles in a large theater (field). Percussion was WAY too powerful for the brass (10 snares to 20 brass). They probably should have been an open class corps this year. Bravo to the kids for their performance!

8. Legends - Very nice job, folks! I especially congratulate their guard. They only have 3 and that makes things difficult. Those young ladies did a nice job. It's good to see this corps enjoying itself and loving the opportunity to perform. The show is good and entertaining. I would like to see more compact design to help improve the brass sound and musicianship. They spread the field almost too much.

Those are my thoughts for now. Some great shows tonight.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

Just got back from the show. Great night of drum corps. Stadium was quite filled with people. I'd say close to 6k or more.

Some quick thoughts:

1. Crown - a very good show. Not quite as exciting as I thought it might be judging from what I had seen on the Fan Network. The first half is very nice, but the show stalls. They are marching very well, brass was lush and in tune, and very controlled. They need to work the last 3rd of this production.

2. Bluecoats - they were HOT tonight. Very nice performance and much much improved from what I saw on Fan Network and from spring training. Their percussion line was outstanding, the brass was tight, with crisp dynamics and big hits, and the guard is sporting some of the most eye-catching uniforms you will see this summer. The show will need some work to bring the middle ballad section to a more artistic climax. Very little phasing for a corps that spreads the field as much as Blooo. Really starting to like the closing music. Excellent groove. They just need to tweak and re-work a few things in the show to bring the theme to the audience a bit more, but as for talent they are really loaded. Once they clean they will be dangerous.

3. Madison Scouts - maybe the best opener on the field. Just electric! The middle section is really well done, too. Big brass sound, percussion is improved but not quite ready to compete with Bluecoats, BD, Cavies, Cadets. Guard was sloppy but exciting. Love the musical arrangements. Their downfall as of now is the last part of the closer. They need to re-work the drill some to better convey what the music is giving them. I felt that I should have been standing a minute before they finished, but it's not quite there yet. Some sloppy marching at times. Plenty to clean, but if they do I can see them giving Phantom and SCV a run.

4. Boston - I love this show. Not a super exciting, stand up and scream type of show. This is more subtle, artistic, and filled with some majestic fanfare. OUTSTANDING drill design here. Their visual ensemble content number had them in 2nd in that part of the caption. I might have had them in 1st in visual ensemble content. This has not been talked about much on DCP, but Boston has a stunning visual package that if the other components come into focus, they could be a dark horse for top 6. Brass is good and balanced. Percussion is good. I love the guard outfits, and the theme of the show is coming across. It's great to hear Les Miserables on the field again, along with 1812 Overture and some other stuff. Their only downfall is at the end: you can't play the power chords of 1812 in a company front and then wince away from the uptempo, double-tongue brass fanfare. I realize they wanted to go into more Les Miz, but the audience knows 1812 too well, so it ends up being a psych out and a let down. Re-write this, at least 16 measure or so, then bring back Les Miz. Otherwise, great show! One of my favorites of the night. Also, some wonderful solo playing in this show.

5. Spirit - LOUD, LOUD, LOUD! They have a big sound. Nice trumpet soloist. Music is fun, but the show lacks direction. The opening drill design was excellent, then it faded. Definitely a contender for top 12.

6. Crossmen - I liked their show a bit more than Spirit. The drill is more defined, taking the thoughts of the music from idea to idea. Music is fun and easy to listen to. They need some work, and I am not sure they can make top 12, but they will be a treat when it all starts clicking.

7. Pioneer - Not sure what happened with these guys. Last year they must have had 48 to 50 brass. This year: 20. The kids are good and do a wonderful job. The show is designed for a larger ensemble. The music needs more melodic development, especially when you're not big enough to effectively pull off the more complex arranging/orchestration styles in a large theater (field). Percussion was WAY too powerful for the brass (10 snares to 20 brass). They probably should have been an open class corps this year. Bravo to the kids for their performance!

8. Legends - Very nice job, folks! I especially congratulate their guard. They only have 3 and that makes things difficult. Those young ladies did a nice job. It's good to see this corps enjoying itself and loving the opportunity to perform. The show is good and entertaining. I would like to see more compact design to help improve the brass sound and musicianship. They spread the field almost too much.

Those are my thoughts for now. Some great shows tonight.

Nice review, thanks.

• Like 1

thanks for the great review! me being the crossmen homer I am, I'd just like to point out;

Some very encouraging numbers:

- Colorgaurd, beating Madison and Spirit, only .3 behind Boston and .5 behind the Bluecoats.

- Visual Performance, only .5 behind Bluecoats, .3 behind Madison, and .1 behind Boston.

I know that Crossmen's visual package is less demanding than most of the corps they are trailing; hopefully they will keep up as everyone else cleans up. Besides, the 'Vocab' numbers are right there in the pack as well.

I too, just got back from the Akron show. I will tag on some thoughts as well.

Great stadium. We were in section 210 on the 50, 4 rows from the top.

Legends. It always amazes me to see the smaller corps with full drumlines and front ensembles and tiny horn lines. I think they are trying some nice things. All the pieces seem to be there, but balancing the battery with everything else will be a challenge. There were some nice color moments in the front ensemble and I give it up for the three ladies in the colorguard. Maybe too much spread drill-wise for the size of the corps? I hope they can fill some of those holes as well.

Pioneer. Not slamming - just saying. I am amazed every year at some of the design choices that these kids are stuck with year in and year out. I would cut 4 snare drummers tonight. Give them a bugle. I understand the decision to not march tenors - I have seen it done before in Marching Bands. I am not sure it will help Pioneer to be competitive. The snare line is really loud much of the time and really dirty just as often. The field cymbals seem disconnected from the rest of the ensemble during several sections of the show. The props do help to cut down the negative space. The brass line has some nice moments - they just need 25 more of them. It might be time to visit open class? I was really bummed at no Gary Owen, but the props were not going to carry themselves.

Spirit. Yeah! Spirit of Atlanta - was nice to hear that announced. The horn line is loud. Sometimes a bit gross, but they are loud. Not a great night for the battery, but I was digging much of the writing. The music and drill I think are fine. The cheesy voice over and some of the characterization is a bit much. Lose the gal in the red dress. I like the delta references in the drill. I think with some cleaning time and filling some holes, Spirit could be in good shape.

Crossmen. First guard statement was great! The Crossmen are going kind of old school and just marching and playing. I can appreciate that. The Spinning Wheel section is great - I wonder if we could have gotten one real good in your face moment of the part everyone knows? Drumline is aggressive and pretty solid. (Maybe a tenor hole tonight?) Intervals and dots seemed to be an issue for Bones tonight. Overall, it sure reminded me of a 90s Crossmen show.

Madison. You had the crowd at the gate. Seriously. Great guard costume. Battery is a notch up from last year. Middle section of drumming and scatter got long for my taste, but the end of the show is quite strong. I really enjoy the Beautiful Morning quotes throughout the show. Feet are a strength right now. I would love to hear a bit more dynamic range from the Scouts. Solid show though.

Boston. I was a bit let down by BAC. The opening is quite effective. The soloist in the ballad is exceptional. I am not sure I would touch either 1812 or Les Mis as source material in this activity, but to each his own. I missed the Conquest quote. Unis looked great under the lights.

Crown. There is going to be a fine line to walk with this show concept. The horn line is of course great. The battery is much improved. The front is great and the guard is very good. I get tired of seeing the metal hand gesture over and over. (I get it - you're rocking.) The ELP stuff is great and I can't wait to see what the real ending is going to be. I am distracted by the front ensemble in the rocker attire like the colorguard - although the pianist costuming works well. I hope the contra kid is okay - good recovery. Lots of energy in this corps.

Bluecoats. I left the stadium humming the opener. Very effective. You lose me in the closer a bit, but the ballad is really quite cool (he HAS to catch that rifle toss). The battery throws. Some of the front ensemble sound effects are not quite balanced yet or maybe just not in that stadium. I enjoyed the colorguard. can't wait to see how you end this...maybe back to Creep?

A fine night of drum corps in the Buckeye State. Check out the Akron show next year. Great stadium and always a good lineup.

MIKE

Bill, you in here?

Thanks guys for great reviews! I was there as well and won't rehash, but add a couple things that stuck out to me:

Boston: This was probably my favorite show tonight! A great visual look (the uniforms and those opening flags look amazing under the lights!) and lots of beautiful moments. The marching on the 1812 company front was incredibly well done and effective! Keep going BAC! (Edit at 11:50 a.m.: Almost forgot.... the field-entering whistling was painful. Hopefully there's a change in this coming soon...)

Bluecoats: They were definitely ON tonight. The intensity was great, and I think once they continue to clean and add, this show will be their best ever. There's so much growth potential! Definitely a show to watch out for by season's end!

Crown: Awesome opening, ho-hum ending (and I personally love the Emerson Piano Concerto #1!). It just felt that after all the 'bling' of the first half, the second half was subdued. Some amazing marching tonight!

Madison: Another great show, picking right up from last year's crowd-pleaser. Not sure I really picked up on the 9-11 references I had read about so much on here. Drill is definitely a step up from last year.

Spirit: Much improved! Some very cool moments, though marching seems to be lagging behind the other areas. Seemed like lots of spacing issues. The horn line definitely packs a punch!

Crossmen: Loved it...brought back lots of old Crossmen/Metheny memories. Some really nice grooves happening. Seemed like all the playing was in your face, so was hoping for some more backfield playing to balance those louder moments.

This is a great drum corps venue!

Edited by bandbuck
  • Like 3

4. Boston - I love this show. Not a super exciting, stand up and scream type of show. This is more subtle, artistic, and filled with some majestic fanfare. OUTSTANDING drill design here. Their visual ensemble content number had them in 2nd in that part of the caption. I might have had them in 1st in visual ensemble content. This has not been talked about much on DCP, but Boston has a stunning visual package that if the other components come into focus, they could be a dark horse for top 6. Brass is good and balanced. Percussion is good. I love the guard outfits, and the theme of the show is coming across. It's great to hear Les Miserables on the field again, along with 1812 Overture and some other stuff. Their only downfall is at the end: you can't play the power chords of 1812 in a company front and then wince away from the uptempo, double-tongue brass fanfare. I realize they wanted to go into more Les Miz, but the audience knows 1812 too well, so it ends up being a psych out and a let down. Re-write this, at least 16 measure or so, then bring back Les Miz. Otherwise, great show! One of my favorites of the night. Also, some wonderful solo playing in this show.

Thank you for this great informative review on all the corps. :smile:

I especailly like the nice things you have said about Boston which is much in contrast to other reviews I've read on here this season so far. I did not realize how great the visual package was from them as most were saying the visual was not all that great. I'm thinking that their visual is perhaps more effective in the bigger venues? Time to clean and execute better I'd also imagine!

• Like 1

Thank you for this great informative review on all the corps. :smile:

I especailly like the nice things you have said about Boston which is much in contrast to other reviews I've read on here this season so far. I did not realize how great the visual package was from them as most were saying the visual was not all that great. I'm thinking that their visual is perhaps more effective in the bigger venues? Time to clean and execute better I'd also imagine!

I traveled with them during the first week of tour, and I usually watched them from a low vantage point...however, I was at the top of the stadium at one show, and the drill design (especially during drumm solo) blew me away. There were elements and effects which were nearly invisible in a small venue, but when you add in a high box, it looked completely different....but I guess Brian was probably thinking Lucas Oil, not Quincy when he designed the show..... :smile:

• Like 2

Boston ... the field-entering whistling was painful. Hopefully there's a change in this coming soon.

Painful how? I thought the whistling was musically solid but quite soft. But that I could hear it near the top of the upper deck surely means it was miked, right? I couldn't tell from where I was who was actually whistling.

Painful how? I thought the whistling was musically solid but quite soft. But that I could hear it near the top of the upper deck surely means it was miked, right? I couldn't tell from where I was who was actually whistling.

The guy whistling was having major pitch troubles, especially as he whistled in the lower range. The fast vibrato didn't help matters....

The guy whistling was having major pitch troubles, especially as he whistled in the lower range. The fast vibrato didn't help matters....

could not really here it. i tape the show and could only here a little oh well always time for improvement.