The Cavaliers 2002 vs The Cadets 2005

108 members have voted

1. 1. Which corps would win in a head-to-head competition as they performed on finals night?

• 2002 The Cavaliers
    • 2005 The Cadets

Tough call. These are the two best championship shows of the decade.

I saw these two corps a lot both of those years. I considered each corps unbeatable in their respective years.

I'd have to give the edge to 2002 Cavaliers.

• Like 4

If you had asked me this question 5 years ago I'd say Cavies.. But the more ive watched both shows I appreciate Cadets 05 more and more, and Cavies 02 far less. Cadets would have crushed them in percussion..

Cadets 05 doesnt get the credit they deserve because it was one of the first shows that shoved narration down our throat. If that show was performed this year we would realize there really isnt that much narration in that show..

and one more thing Cadets 05 had the greatest ballad we have ever seen.

• Like 1

Cadets 2005 by far...because? It's one of Cardmans least favorite shows EVER!! :thumbup:

Apart from that, as already pointed out, it took a clean caption sweep - the only time this has ever been done at finals. Kudos to the Cadets - one of the greatest shows EVER (IMO).

Peace out.

2002 absolutely, that show is what made me want to march. 2005, however, might have turned some people off. Also the corps was just MUCH cleaner and the show more well designed in 2002

• Like 1

Cadets 2005.

There are few years (at least that I can recall) where a drum corps won the championship because of their drumline. I think a good example is 2008 Phantom Regiment. If it wasn't for their high drum score (as well as the 5th place drum score of the Blue Devils), the Blue Devils would have indeed won the 2008 Championship.

If the 2002 Cavaliers and 2005 Cadets went head-to-head, I'd use logic in the choice. Both hornlines were fantastic, the colorguards were both brilliant, the drill in both were well-executed (although the uniqueness of the Cavalier's drill would put them ahead in that aspect), and the music ensemble performances were all stellar with both corps. In percussion - the 2005 Cadets played a clean show. The 2002 Cavaliers, as much as you love 'em, and as good and talented as they were - they flubbed their drum breaks, and the dirt and bad attacks (no offense to them intended) are so audibly heard on the CD recordings, as well as videos, that the drum score and placement might very well be the determining factor.

Then again - this is a thread based on something purely fantasy, right?

• Like 1

I think you hit the nail on the head. With Cavaliers, the show was good in all aspects, but the percussion showed some signs of weakness, especially during those breaks. The Cadets percussion was rediculous in 2005. I would also favor Cadets in brass (more meat to the book), with all other aspects being somewhat equal.

Neitehr show was what I would call a knockout in terms of entertainment. I never listen to that Cavaliers show, and only rarely listen to the Cadets show. In 2002 my favorite show was Phantom and Blue Devils. In 2005 my favorite show was Phantom Regiment, Boston, and most of all Bluecoats!!!

Maybe if they went head-to-head again, the Cavaliers guard wouldn't drop the flyer during the Fight Club.... :ph34r:

I find it interesting that people keep referencing the Cadets' caption sweep in 2005. The Cavaliers did win seven of eight captions, and in those seven captions had a bigger margin of victory over the 2nd-place caption score than did the Cadets (2.0 flat margin for Cavs 02, 1.7 flat margin for Cadets 05, translating to 1.40 overall score margin for Cavaliers and only 1.15 overall score margin for Cadets).

The Cadets' visual performance was cleaner, but the Cavaliers' show was a bit more difficult and had better visual effect. The Cadets' percussion was easily better, but as good as their brass was they can't match up to the impeccable intonation the Cavaliers had. It's a very tough call.

Visual GE: Cavaliers 2002

Music GE: Can't decide

Visual Performance: Cavaliers 2002

Visual Ensemble: Cadets 2005

Color Guard: Cavaliers 2002

Brass: Cavaliers 2002

Musical Ensemble: Cavaliers 2002

Percussion: Cadets 2005

I'll go with Cavaliers 2002. But I can't fault anyone for choosing Cadets 2005.

• Like 2

I don't think the question was "which is your favorite show?".

Since Cadets 2005 took all captions, I think they'd take it. Also, I don't think cavies 2002 should not have gotten the score they did. Just watch the end of the show. Guard was all over the place, there was a horn member who missed the halt and quite a few other things I noticed during that show.

Well, Cavies 2002 is NOT my favorite show, but thank you very much for clarifying what I already knew.

I'm noticing a pattern with you...

a very clear pattern.

Oh, so I must be a "hater" because I have made similar comments in other threads, I see. It is just coincidence that all of these threads have been pairs where one of them was one of my least favorite shows ever. Not my fault, that's my honest opinion. I don't appreciate your insinuation.

• Like 1