Loudest Drum Corps

Madison horn line - "It goes to 11"

• Like 2

A special nod to the Marines

Back in th early 70's we were lined up for a parade in the Quarter and we hear this SOUND from 3 blocks away and wonder what corps THAT was. We walk up to find a small Marine corps D&BC of about 20 horns. Ir really sounded like a 36/40 man line of a top 12 Junior Corps of the day.

I'd have to say that for me, it was Scouts 2002. That was at the very first drum corps competition I'd ever went to, and they were the first corps to put out some real sound - and when the sound came, it felt like a wall. I had never heard anything like it before. And I had been introduced to DCI 3 years prior, in 1999, on the PBS Finals telecast, but in 2002, when I saw my first live show.... I can never forget my first taste of live drum corps, that memory will always stay with me. Spirit came on the field too, with their Time show, and that just blew me away. OMG I was in heaven that day. Indy regional, got to see all the Div 1 corps, plus Jubal I believe, plus got to see 4 of the shows twice!

I also think this year's Spirit - omg - their mellophones. I am around 25% deaf as it is, but every time I hear those mellos, it goes up like 1%.

Spirit of Atlanta 1980 "Let it be me" = Audio Artillery :worthy::worthy::worthy:

The only line that was louder was at the Jim Ott Memorial Hornline performance on July 18th, 1980.

BD, SCV, Freelancers, Commodores alumni, Royalaires alumni and others. 200+ horns.

Naval Hymm once "as written" and a second time "So Jim can hear it"...he did.

That line was probably felt on the Richter scale.

• Like 1

80 Spirit

86 BD finals encore

2010 Crown Madonna encore song

BLOO Boxer brass chorale was special, too

I agree with Spirit 1980, incredible moment on their closer. I saw this early in my drum corps watching days and have been trying to duplicate the experience ever since.......a few have come close but that Let It Be Me closer still stands out. Even over the roar of the crowd the hornline was insanely loud.

The rumor at the time was Jim Ott (RIP) determined the what range of notes each member could play the loudest, and then assigned parts accordingly...

How many years have you been around ?

Just wondering if you heard SoA in 80 live or Madison 75 live to be able to speak so ?

My first show was in 91 and I was very young! But I was around drum lines and horn lines for the most of my life! I know what loud is, and I'm sure there were lines way before my time that tore their lips up playing incredibly loud, and far more crass than any of the lines that are playing loudly with control and beautiful tone! I prefer the later and stand by my original post, Cadets 2007 was the loudest line I've ever heard live. I performed with Crown, so can't actually say how loud we were! (I've heard we were pretty #### loud!)

In recent memory

2008 Teal Sound - that opener pushed me back in my seat

2008 Crown - that opening impact

2008 Bluecoats - The Boxer chorale

2011/2010 Madison - most of the show

• Like 1

The rumor at the time was Jim Ott (RIP) determined the what range of notes each member could play the loudest, and then assigned parts accordingly...

Not a bad idea, actually.....right up there with making the LOUD chords open valves to eliminate resistance to air flow from depressed valves.

My first show was in 91 and I was very young! But I was around drum lines and horn lines for the most of my life! I know what loud is, and I'm sure there were lines way before my time that tore their lips up playing incredibly loud, and far more crass than any of the lines that are playing loudly with control and beautiful tone! I prefer the later and stand by my original post, Cadets 2007 was the loudest line I've ever heard live. I performed with Crown, so can't actually say how loud we were! (I've heard we were pretty #### loud!)

Ok, but the question was who was the loudest, not loudest and in tune.

As far as Cadets 07, yes they had a healthy sound on the front sideline, but IMHO, not all THAT loud.