Brush Your Breath With Denton !

Wow, if those are real, Madison down 2.5 from last night! Makes that guy complaining about the Crossmen/Troopers 1.5 swing look...

...justified in his questioning of how spreads are jumping all over the place? And just to make sure it's understood, it has nothing to do with Crossmen or Troopers. :happy:

I know people are really excited by these crazy jumps in scores overnight, but that just makes the scores meaningless to me. If spreads keep appearing and disappearing overnight by 1.5 to 2.5 points like this then they are less relevant in my eyes and placements aren't even worth talking about because, hey, the very next night someone at 14th place could have been at 10th place if a different judge was judging...so whatever.

Everybody else pretty much sees it in different light, and that's fine by me. And it's been explained by a few people in different ways, so I'll try and let it go.

Edited by jaylogan
  • Like 2

As competitive as the corps are on the field and as critical as we can be on here about different corps it is a Brotherhood. Spirit helping BK earlier this week and Teal jumping in to help Boston is all telling. One corps has a problem and another corps will surely help. And as DCP spectators we all share common ground in worrying, genuinely, first and foremost for the safety of the corps no matter which one.

When there is a problem, corps loyalty becomes non-existent but the love of drum corps, at the end of the day, is what it is really all about.

This seams to be more and more true this season.

I really can't wait to see the results of Odessa tonight. Not only are a lot of these corps showing themselves there but this is the first time PC, Mandarins and Academy see a lot of these groups and if the 2pt spread between Colts and Teal is accurate then that means PC and Mandarins will definitely be in the hunt as well. I also can't wait to see where Academy fits in with all of these guys fighting for 12th place.

Nah, much as I love my Troopers, this particular spread will be growing, I suspect. Go Troop, and go Scouts! :thumbup:

Troopers have an amazing show this year.. I am LOVING them.

Go Troopers

Lots of fun to watch for tonight in Odessa! Scouts have bad draw tonight... Blah... Hate the orders being determined off last year,... It's not LAST YEAR!! Anyway, dare I say that tonight is a Better show in Odessa with more storylines than the TOC show in Houston? Academy Pc Mandatins in for first read against everyone!! Madison, Boston BK round 2!! Right about now I'm betting the Blue Stars wish they could go against the corps in Odessa.... They're a wild card and aren't getting to plug themselves into the fun til tomorrow!

Wes P

Some final impressions:

1) Madison - tremendous emotional impression from the closer. Really, one of the most gut-wrenching moments I have seen at a drum corps show in several years.

2) Troopers - great final chord during the closer. That was a goose-bump moment.

3) Crown - tremendous GE and brass, but still weak visual. The show must be cleaned visually, or else they will not win in Indianapolis, period. The double-closer effect had the crowd standing - twice.

4) BD - The exact inverse of the Crown show. Visual and musical execution was flawless. It was effectively Finals clean, now in Texas. Unfortunately, the show simply lacks emotional effect, period. And that's really sad. The white cubes that they brought out on the field served no purpose; they are nothing but a distraction. At the closer, almost nobody knew the show was over, whereas during the Crown show, the crowd stood twice. That is the contrast between the two shows this year.

5) Cavies - Also tremendous execution, and the GE to boot. This is the show to beat. Cavies have another title within their grasp - they really just need to finish. The drummers playing upside down? That was the highlight of the night for me.

Now, those Cavie guard uniforms are a Technicolor nightmare, as I have described previously. They look like a designer watched a rerun of the old children's show "Fraggle Rock", after taking LSD or peyote or something....Really awful. But their execution of a tough design was impeccable.

Finally, please tell whoever was running the concession stand for this show to NOT RUN OUT OF BOTTLES OF WATER! Please. Thank you. I know it was oppressively hot out at this show, so I am sure sales are high. Next year, take whatever you purchased for bottled water this year, and double it.

• Like 1

All kidding aside, I think some changes are needed, and i can't to see how much different it is at Atlanta. Do we have any word on the licensing issues yet? Us fans on the west coast never get to see the Scouts live, so I'd at least like to be able to see them on video, their complete show....

The live streams (and the cinecast of prelims) will have the music, at the very least. You could also buy an APD and play it on your iPod while you watch the video on your PC. :w00t:

Lots of fun to watch for tonight in Odessa! Scouts have bad draw tonight... Blah... Hate the orders being determined off last year,... It's not LAST YEAR!! Anyway, dare I say that tonight is a Better show in Odessa with more storylines than the TOC show in Houston? Academy Pc Mandatins in for first read against everyone!! Madison, Boston BK round 2!! Right about now I'm betting the Blue Stars wish they could go against the corps in Odessa.... They're a wild card and aren't getting to plug themselves into the fun til tomorrow!

Wes P

Blue Stars have had the last 2 days off. Have been cleaning. Keep in mind, they went into Minnesota having made major, I mean major changes, up to 1/3 of their show, and were still quite dirty. As things clean up for them, I see them right in the thick of things.

Edited by brians

Blue Stars have had the last 2 days off. Have been cleaning. Keep in mind, the had gone into Minnesota have made major, I mean major changes, up to 1/3 of their show, and were still quite dirty. As things clean up for them, I see them right in the thick of things.

Agreed... That's a #### good drum corps.. I was blown away at the begininng of the season in Austin by BStars. It's gonna be fun!!

I know people are really excited by these crazy jumps in scores overnight, but that just makes the scores meaningless to me. If spreads keep appearing and disappearing overnight by 1.5 to 2.5 points like this then they are less relevant in my eyes and placements aren't even worth talking about because, hey, the very next night someone at 14th place could have been at 10th place if a different judge was judging...so whatever.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but don't you think the objective quality of the performances can vary by at least that much in the real world of various weather conditions, lighting conditions, member illness, time of performance, how much travel vs practice vs performance the corps has been doing over the past 48 hours, and a hundred other factors?

If anything I think the scores are still more rigid than reality. To some extent that's not fixable given that judges no matter how good can't *really* judge everything on the field every night completely objectively, and to some extent they have to subconsciously or intuitively rely on past experience with the show and past scores from themselves and other judges.

So I'll take a middle ground where every corps has an off night now and then and their score ought to drop some because of it. If Scouts had as bad of problems with illness as it sounds, then I'm sure their show suffered for it. If the rankings had stayed the same despite the handicap, what would that say for BK's or Boston's or anyone's theoretical ability to ever surpass Madison this season?