Thread devoted to trashing 70s/80s drum corps

Here's a few that I've seen on here over the last couple of years:

Their drill was too easy. ( Never mind if they had 200 sets in a show or whatever....)

They blasted away without regard to tone quality.

They played unmusically on those G horns that were crass...

Their drumlines didn't move enough and weren't integrated into the drill.

They didn't have themes.

Their marching technique was lacking. OMG did you see how bad their posture was?

The guard work is nothing compared to today, especially their inferior movement. ( Never mind that the equipment work was more the focus).

There you go! A nice start to this list! tongue.gif

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

Oh and another...

I don't want to hear show tunes for EVERY show! I want to be challenged intellectually during every show! shutup.giftongue.gif

Drum corps pits played with horrible technique and were pounding away at their instruments in a way that was unmusical. Now, with amplification, we can play with proper concert technique in the pit. ph34r.gif

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

stupid color presentations, what moron likes feeling patriotic ? :shutup:

and just whats so special about tradition and military bearing ?

• Like 2

I just wish fans could look at corps of today the same way they look at the past. The corps of the past could do no wrong, now, it seems like the corps can do no right. Yeah, everyone looks on the past with rose-colored glasses, but I think we'd see things a lot differently if the kids from today came on here weekly and talked about how much G bugles sucked, and how marching timpani was stupid and driving down attendance, and stuff like that. It gets tiring to just see how all of the changes in modern DCI are for the worse.

No matter when you marched, those years were your DCI. Your reality. How you saw DCI, how you first got involved was the best DCI to you. The current era is the best to me. I got into DCI in 2003, and started marching in 2007. I don't really remember corps on G bugles, but I know fast-paced drill, electronics, and artistic shows. The DCI of the past isn't going to come back, the way it is now is how we all know it, and that's how things are. It's still DCI to us, no matter what marchers of the past can say.

Just think though, in 20 or 30 years, when all of the marchers of today are your age, we'll be the ones buying tickets, and bringing our kids to DCI shows, and I can promise things will be different then. How, I'm not sure, but I know it will be, I'd like to think it will keep improving.

• Like 5

i only said that the amount of negativity on here towards contemporary drum corps far outweighs the negativity towards past decades.

if today's dci performers started the same volume of threads trashing past shows and design trends, the same people constantly deriding and attacking what goes on today would have a collective fit of apoplexy.

imo.

that's all.

Interesting. I don't know, though. A lot of what seems so negative now might have seemed just as intense back in the 70s except that it took more effort to write a letter to the editor of Drum Corps World than it does to sit down at the computer and bang out a post on DCP. And it was a lot less rewarding, not only because of the long lag in seeing something get published, but also because every time Steve published a letter in DCW critical of a drum corps or their show, he got buried in mail criticizing the mail and a few people canceling subscriptions, so it understandably wasn't his favorite thing to do.

But there was still a lot flak in the stands in the 70s, and a lot of it came from pre-DCI fans from the VFW days. Drum corps attracts people who have learned to think critically and who are very passionate about what's on the field, one way or another. But if it seems improbable that it was bad before, too, just roll back the memory clock to what spawned DCP (thank you, George Dixon!): RAMD. That was the unmoderated Wild West, and there was a lot of heat.

Edited by Peel Paint

stupid color presentations, what moron likes feeling patriotic ? :shutup:

and just whats so special about tradition and military bearing ?

i personally don't care for colors presentations outside of proper military ceremonies. even in parades and sporting events, it seems out of place, even when it's a military unit doing it. it oftentimes looks sloppy and out of place when non-military units try to do it. drum corps are civilian ensembles, and it always just seemed weird to me.

also military bearing means many different things when it comes to military music. i was in a marine corps field band, and for ceremonies, military bearing meant something different than it did for show band stuff we did, which is a better analog to what dci does today. and honestly, most top corps today march technically and uniformly as well or better than most military units outside of premier units like the commandant's own. besides all of that, junior drum corps are not military units today any more than they were in the 60s and 70s.

• Like 1

Interesting. I don't know, though. A lot of what seems so negative now might have seemed just as intense back in the 70s except that it took more effort to write a letter to the editor of Drum Corps World than it does to sit down at the computer and bang out a post on DCP. And it was a lot less rewarding, not only because of the long lag in seeing something get published, but also because every time Steve published a letter in DCW critical of a drum corps or their show, he got buried in mail criticizing the mail and a few people canceling subscriptions, so it understandably wasn't his favorite thing to do.

But there was still a lot flak in the stands in the 70s, and a lot of it came from pre-DCI fans from the VFW days. Drum corps attracts people who have learned to think critically and who are very passionate about what's on the field, one way or another. But if it seems improbable that it was bad before, too, just roll back the memory clock to what spawned DCP (thank you, George Dixon!): RAMD. That was the unmoderated Wild West, and there was a lot of heat.

sure, if there were dcp back then, you'd have drum corps people from the 40s and 50s trashing what you were doing. i don't deny that.

• Like 3

for the record, i love drum corps from every decade and era. 80s and 90s are my favorite, but love the 70s, too. not sure how much longer i'll stick with being a fan because i have my reservations about a lot of what's going on today.

i only said that the amount of negativity on here towards contemporary drum corps far outweighs the negativity towards past decades.

if today's dci performers started the same volume of threads trashing past shows and design trends, the same people constantly deriding and attacking what goes on today would have a collective fit of apoplexy.

imo.

that's all.

..............except to say that Hockey Dad is cool...don't be neg repping him.

A), more fans who remember the old days post than the newer generations

b) in time we'll be replaced, hopefully, by kids from today trashing what the kids of that day are doing.

as for the 70's, who ever thought of marching tympani was an idiot

• Like 1