Thread devoted to trashing 70s/80s drum corps

Who the Hell's this Chuckie MangyDog (Mangione) that everyone keeps playing? :devil:

Yep, my moms a music lover and everytime my family went to a show I got pegged with questions about the name of a song and who did it.

Note to self: Burn CMs double album of him with an orchestra before I take a trip next month.

Yeah, and what about all that highfalutin' long-hair music Phantom and Santa Clara keep playing? What's up with that?

• Like 1

They can trash all they want. Today's groups are DCINO's. They will never know the true joy.

I had a great time marching. This "my dad can beat up your dad" type of attitude gets no one anywhere.

Edited by WOOHOO
  • Like 3

Awesome! I have two kids who march for him right now! He is a demigod in the area of Big Ten marching bands, for sure. And quite an entertainer. Have you ever been to the spring concert at the Kohl Center?

No, the Kohl Center wasn't there when I lived in madison. I've been in the Twin Cities for 25 years. I did play in the Spring Concerts at the Old Field House.

HockeyDad, did you march in the UW Band? :thumbup: Shoot me a PM and introduce yourself.

I was hearing the exact same comment back in the late '70s.

I'm not sure how this could have been the case since nearly every corps in the 1970's played songs that were popular, well known or standards.

Edited by FlamMan

Like the joys of...

- Pushing a bus

- Playing on ancient equipment held together with duct-tape

- Bologna dinners

- Running out of money mid-tour

- Folding

Folding became more popular when drum corps transitioned from what was to what it is today. There were what, 500 corps in the USA in the early 1970's? There are what, 50 today?

Edited by FlamMan

Like the joys of...

- Pushing a bus

- Playing on ancient equipment held together with duct-tape

- Bologna dinners

- Running out of money mid-tour

- Folding

Ha Ha... I did all of those things, plus

- we had purple colored water to go with that bologna

- bring dropped off for a whole day at a rest stop so the bus drivers could get their sleep

- marching on corn fields that were cut down just for the show

- Laundry day, whats that??

- kids smoking while showering

- kids smoking....

-G

Sorry, I just can't sit through an entire recording of the 70's, video or audio. Many of the hornlines, though awesomely loud, played with absolutely zero attention to tone quality. Visually, I just can't stand the 10 or so minutes of symmetrical drill juxtaposed with park and blows. The color guards executed with great military precision, but they are no match for today's guards in terms of artistry and emotional expressiveness. I'm glad the activity has changed since then into something almost unrecognizable from those days. Because if it didn't, I doubt I would have become a fan of drum corps.

Just being honest.

The problem is... there's just not enough of you in the fanbase now. The activity lost thousands of fans who liked what you didn't like from the 70's, 80's. Fans like you arrived, but not nearly enough to replace all those that left. Each decade, the Drum Corps activity has lost fans. Thats been true since the end of WW 2. But the fan base was adequatedly replaced by newer fans that replaced those that left for one reason or another.Thats changed in recent decades however. Even though it its acknowledged that the Corps are bigger, perhaps more talented, and people have access to shows via computers, access to shows in movie theatres, ESPN, etc the fan base growth numbers are flat lined at best, or has possibly diminished in size numbers. Where are the alums in Corps that marched the last 15 years or so that played this music ? Are they stepping up to the plate as other generations have done before them by going to shows ? by supporting Corps financially ? by still staying engaged in the activity to support what is on the field ? The sense I get seems to be..... " no " . So while you may love the transformational changes that have taken place over the last decade, there appears theres just not enough of newer fans like you that believe the same things you do regarding the current state of the activity re. the shows.

Edited by BRASSO

Sorry, I just can't sit through an entire recording of the 70's, video or audio. Many of the hornlines, though awesomely loud, played with absolutely zero attention to tone quality. Visually, I just can't stand the 10 or so minutes of symmetrical drill juxtaposed with park and blows. The color guards executed with great military precision, but they are no match for today's guards in terms of artistry and emotional expressiveness. I'm glad the activity has changed since then into something almost unrecognizable from those days. Because if it didn't, I doubt I would have become a fan of drum corps.

Did you ever see a 70's DCI show live? Or just recording/video?

Ha Ha... I did all of those things, plus

- we had purple colored water to go with that bologna

- bring dropped off for a whole day at a rest stop so the bus drivers could get their sleep

- marching on corn fields that were cut down just for the show

- Laundry day, whats that??

- kids smoking while showering

- kids smoking....

-G

Wait... what's this bologna you guys keep talking about?