An electronics explanation for all the haters

Let's have a recap cuz I'm old (I'll say it since I hit 54 in 2 weeks) and can't remember.

Big changes and reasons the last few years have been:

Going to Bb cuz less time needed for DCI members to adjust to key o' G and seasons are getting shorter, cheaper with resale and easier for new corps to come about since members can bring horns from home (Oh well two out of three)

Amped pits: better technique by the bell players (hey that's the term I use), but the better tech is still being argued

Amped vocal and what ever else can be used:

Using keyboards and electronics:

Left the last two blank because I forget where to put in the following reasons:

Reason #1: Show designers needed new things because they were getting stale and running out of ides. Don't #####, that was a BIG reason given and argued about here a few years back.

Reason #2: Need to make DC look more like MB so MB members will feel more "comfortable" attending shows and joining corps (also argued about here). Problem here is DCI is going after the HS MB crowd which totally changes every 3-4 years. And no provision was given (that I saw) to keep those people around. So DCI is gunning for a revolving door of audience that (some) get cheaper seats. Oh... boy....

• Like 1

To sum up this tread...

Old people don't like electronics.

Consider me a dino then sir. I'm only 26.

Your argument (probably meant as a joke) is quite flawed. Some old people like electronics. What is the average age of the Board of Directors? How about the age of the corps directors that vote on this stuff?

This doesn't surprise me at all.

Now add to this the fact that despite two attempts on my part, not one poster has been able to come up with anyone who purposely stayed away from DCI until such time as A&E were introduced.

So if A&E did nothing to boost DCI's revenues, now l ask, how many of us know people who have stayed away or at least reduced their attendance since A&E was introduced (thus reducing DCI's revenues)?

I DO!!!!

I have been a long time fan of dci and I was part of the"Friends" program. This year will be the first year I've missed finals in 12+ years. I don't remember the exact number. I also discontinued my friends membership this year. This year I'm sad to say I will not be going to Indy. Why?

1. LOS

2. Electronics

I'm really disappointed in the direction of the activity, especially electronics.

Edited by biffwah

I've been trying to keep myself out of this thread to preserve my mental health, but I'll just say a couple of things:

The actual countdown numbers are really revealing and important. It didn't take a whole lot of votes to get some shows with amped voice onto the bill. Thousands of people voted for traditional shows. A few hundred voted for shows with amped voice. The fact that there are people who like, or don't mind amped voice and electronics is not the question here. Obviously there are such people. But the thing DCI and the corps should be worried about is how many more people dislike electronics. I don't think the Countdown numbers are evidence of anything, honestly, but using glory's methods, I'd say they are pretty strong evidence that electronics are not a positive addition to the activity.

Woohoo and danielray, you guys need to lay off the idea that everyone who doesn't like electronics is an ancient dino or a reactionary or too clueless to understand. Plenty of folks posting here from the pro-acoustic viewpoint are in their 20s and 30s. If they get turned off of drum corps now, that's disastrous for the activity. Again, the important question is this: would pro-A&E folks stop buying tickets and following drum corps if electronics went away? It doesn't seem so, but I think it's pretty clear that pro-acoustic folks are less and less likely to come to shows. I think there's a lot of people out there for whom the narration years were so obnoxious that they vowed never to come back. I was nearly there myself. But as soon as that finally died out, electronics came in, with the potential for even more annoying and embarrassing effects.

Want to boost attendance at DCI next year? Drop electronics and make a big push to make past fans aware of the change. You'll get a huge bump in attendance, I guarantee. Especially if the shows are anywhere near as fun as this year's. That's the #1 thing DCI could do to get their huge legacy fan base back to being interesting and excited about the activity.

• Like 4

To sum up this tread...

Old people don't like electronics IN DRUM CORPS..

There. Fixed it for you! shutup.gif

Want to boost attendance at DCI next year? Drop electronics and make a big push to make past fans aware of the change. You'll get a huge bump in attendance, I guarantee. Especially if the shows are anywhere near as fun as this year's. That's the #1 thing DCI could do to get their huge legacy fan base back to being interesting and excited about the activity.

This!!!

Consider me a dino then sir. I'm only 26.

Your argument (probably meant as a joke) is quite flawed. Some old people like electronics. What is the average age of the Board of Directors? How about the age of the corps directors that vote on this stuff?

Daniel just wanted to be insulting. That's all.

• Like 2

I really don't think that would be as good for the activity as you think it would be.

I will personally commit right now that if DCI did this I will order finals week tickets as soon as they come out.

I will also do everything I can to arrange a field trip for the drumline I teach to get the kids out to the nearest show. This will be harder to do, but I promise to try.

Can you hear me now, DCI?

Edited by Grandpa