How do we save Drum Corps

So what? Other youth activities have grown in that same time period....and like Brasso pointed out, cheerleading and dance teams have gained the TV exposure that drum corps has lost (not to suggest TV is essential, or even desirable, for DCI in today's evolving media).

Anyway, growth is possible for youth activities, even in the face of declining birth rates. We've seen examples. Why are you so quick to discard the notion of growth for drum corps?

I never said it didnt grow..the mere fact it's still around is unbelieveable. I have said before that I think drum Corps has done great considering things like Boy Scouts have declined by more than 1/2 .People mix the facts here on why drum corps has declined over the years and attribute it to design, etc etc. The purpose of drum corps and who and what it served BITd is very different who it serves now. I marched BITD and still teach winter programs as well as a WC corps now and consult for a DCA corps so I do think I have a bit of a handle on todays member as well as BITD.......not that others dont..Its my point of view.numbers may have declined from BITD BUT that doesnt mean there hasnt been growth..staying alive is huge growth, to attract a kid today with all the choices they have compared to what we had is huge growth.

Edited by GUARDLING

Talking about TV exposure.....could it be that to get the full effect of a drum corps experience, one needs to be there (in person). The sound, the atmosphere, the roar of the crowd, etc...you can't experience that on TV. The cameras can't catch everything. They try but it's not possible. Most newer fans that I have met over the years became fans because they went to a contest NOT because of television.

Yes and the fact that drum corps do not attract millions..TV exposure is about dollars and cents and its just not there , nor ever was.

Its my point of view.numbers may have declined from BITD BUT that doesnt mean there hasnt been growth..staying alive is huge growth, to attract a kid today with all the choices they have compared to what we had is huge growth.

While I get your point, there is no question in my mind after reading this that you most likely have a fine, commendable, and worthwhile college degree but that it probably is not in the field of business, finance, marketing, or economics. Would I be right in that speculation of mine ? (... or not ? )

Edited by BRASSO

While I get your point, there is no question in my mind after reading this that you most likely have a fine, commendable, and worthwhile college degree but that it probably is not in the field of business, finance, marketing, or economics. Would I be right in that speculation of mine ? (... or not ? )

well...yes you are right to a point.. I do serve on a few non profit Boards and did run a successful business. What I was trying to say was to the other poster who I think felt I thought drum corps didnt have any growth. I do think it has grown and been successful BUT the flip side of that is good business sense is needed in the activity. Its a miracle our activity still exsists BUT a good head is needed to continue.

Not sure of your business or drum corps expertise but respect your opinion and what seems to be an educated opinion on these subjects....

Edited by GUARDLING

I never said it didnt grow..the mere fact it's still around is unbelieveable. I have said before that I think drum Corps has done great considering things like Boy Scouts have declined by more than 1/2 .

Really? From 400+ corps to 40+? Drum corps now serves 1/4 the number of kids it served BITD....is that "great" compared to the Boy Scouts? Is it "great" compared to cheerleading? Dance? Youth soccer?

Don't get me wrong....it is "good", considering the full variety of challenges the activity has confronted. For instance, it is "good" considering that relying entirely on the $upport of churches and veterans' groups would not have been a viable 40-year plan. On the other hand, the competitive drive among some corps made it inevitable that they would seek support from other sources....sources that would still be vital today. That process began long before DCI's formation, so I don't even find it surprising, much less "unbelievable", that some of these corps have survived this long.

People mix the facts here on why drum corps has declined over the years and attribute it to design, etc etc. The purpose of drum corps and who and what it served BITd is very different who it serves now.

....which proves drum corps can adapt, and choose which people it serves.

Given all this, I just find it odd how quickly your responses seek to give excuses for lack of growth, and the prognosis that we shouldn't expect significant growth in the future. Why not? Other youth activities have grown. You claim we are a "niche", as if niches can't grow in size.

I marched BITD and still teach winter programs as well as a WC corps now and consult for a DCA corps so I do think I have a bit of a handle on todays member as well as BITD.......

Yes....you told us this before. You also serve on three non-profit BODs, and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

not that others dont..Its my point of view.

That's OK. You don't need credentials to have an opinion here.

numbers may have declined from BITD BUT that doesnt mean there hasnt been growth..staying alive is huge growth, to attract a kid today with all the choices they have compared to what we had is huge growth.

Well, there has been growth....in the cost of running a corps, for one thing. But I am more interested in seeing growth in participation and fan base.

It is a performance opportunity...I made no reference to judge feedback. I still want to know which corps you think was misplaced because they did not do a full tour.

No, they aren't dying when looked at in total. Yes, individual programs here and there are in trouble (Upper Darby, for instance). But in total the numbers of music programs has been pretty consistent. According to an arts study by the NCES (National Center for Education Statistics), in 1999-2000 90% of secondary schools had music instruction availble. In 2009-2010 the number was 91%, nationwide.

I do look at lots of old faces like mine at shows...people who have been attending shows for decades...and who still attend shows.

The goal is to retain customers where possible and attract new ones...this is what DCI marketing efforts are doing. If some number have left (as always happened, even pre-DCI), they had better attract new people...and the logical place to do so is where they are targeting their efforts...schoastic programs.

And...they are doing a better job at the retain part, IMO.

let's look in 10 years...because as music in the lower levels keeps getting chopped ( and yeah, just heard about Darby)...it's going to affect the upper levels. Seeing that with two districts around here that started slashing 3/4 years ago.

and you do realize old faces like yours ats hows may now be parents...not legacy fans.

and yes DCI has that plan now. But they didn't for years, and with fewer corps to draw diehards from as alumni, the returns will diminish

Aren't all these machinations about legacy and chopped-up music really arguing important, but irrelevant, topics and not addressing the OP's original question?

Aren't all of these, boiled down, talking about "How Does DCI Make Money"? Why is no one talking about a business model that makes money instead of soothes nerves or strokes egos?

From a business balance-sheet perspective, DCI is fine. It could be bigger, but it's not losing money. The balance sheet is bigger than its ever been.

DCI needs more money. The last model that I saw to grow was the Five Year Plan, and then there's the G-7 model.

Shouldn't there be a business plan before there's a marketing plan?

did you miss where I said business planning and drum corps dont always go hand in hand?

:tongue:

Those who tell you that PBS dropped the DCI telecast because " those who pledged never followed through " are correct. But did they also tell you that the telecast had lower viewership as the years went by, and that those who called in to pledge were much less in number than in previous years ? Or did they " forget " to tell you that part ?

The PBS stations also found pledge night programming that brought in more money. Kind of a moot issue about pledges not following thru or less viewers/money coming in. PBS found something that worked better.

Aren't all these machinations about legacy and chopped-up music really arguing important, but irrelevant, topics and not addressing the OP's original question?

Aren't all of these, boiled down, talking about "How Does DCI Make Money"? Why is no one talking about a business model that makes money instead of soothes nerves or strokes egos?

From a business balance-sheet perspective, DCI is fine. It could be bigger, but it's not losing money. The balance sheet is bigger than its ever been.

DCI needs more money. The last model that I saw to grow was the Five Year Plan, and then there's the G-7 model.

Shouldn't there be a business plan before there's a marketing plan?

Actually this thread ran out of steam long ago but someone necro'd it ph34r.gif