How many Open class corps will make semi-finals?

If you go by the "old standard" that OC corps scores drop by approx. 18 points when they move to WC sheets, you get the top 5 OC corps with the following scores:

1 Blue Devils B 77.000

2 Oregon Crusaders 76.700

3 Vanguard Cadets 76.200

4 Spartans 73.500

5 Revolution 71.250

Here are the lower end of the WC scores from their last performances:

Pacific Crest 78.750

Mandarins 77.400

Teal Sound 76.600

Jersey Surf 74.700

Cascades 73.900

Pioneer 69.050

Thursday could be verrry interesting :whistle:

This really makes you think what DCI would be like if it used the promotion/relegation system like European soccer. Business models aside (and the WC evaluation is 90% administration/business), it would be interesting to have a rule that any WC corps not making semi-finals goes down to Open the following year. I'm not sure I'd promote anyone, simply because of the touring model, but then again Pacific Crest and Surf have limited tours.

Note: This is just a thought exercise, nothing I'd actually advocate, though if I was the director of a WC corps that didn't make semi-finals, I'd seriously look at self-relegation.

The "top 5" in the OC scored higher (in OC finals) than all but the current "top 5 ranked" WC corps ....

do we expect the OC scores to drop significantly when they compete with the World Class corps ... and if so why would that happen .... (they are judged with the same sheets?)

The "top 5" in the OC scored higher (in OC finals) than all but the current "top 5 ranked" WC corps ....

do we expect the OC scores to drop significantly when they compete with the World Class corps ... and if so why would that happen .... (they are judged with the same sheets?)

All of the answers lie within this thread. It is alluded three posts before yours. ...but, they are not judged on the same sheets and therefore the comparison to the top 5 WC is not relevant. The typical drop when judged on WC sheets is around 18 points.

Aren't you contradicting yourself a bit here? If you believe three go in (I agree) then Cascades and Jersey Surf are nearly assuredly in unless Pioneer really surprises and catches them. If three OC corps go in then Pioneer will just miss and all other WC corps are in. As few as one is not a possibility. There are 23 WC corps so the minimum number of OC corps in is two.

I think that it will be close enough between Pioneer and the top 3 OC corps that it is a virtual toss-up between four corps (Pioneer plus 3 OC) competing for the last three spots. It could be Pioneer plus 2, or 3 OC and Pioneer just missing.

You're correct, for some reason I was thinking there were 25 WC Corps. :doh:

Welcome to DCP. The answer to your question has been repeated in this thread. No, they're not on the same sheets. From what I've been told, there's a Box 5 on the World sheets that aren't there on the Open Sheets, hence the 15 to 20 point drop you're going to see tomorrow.

there are 18 open class corps that should take pioneer

You aren't funny. Grow up.