Scouts License problem

Ok I just sent the question to DCI support. We'll see what happens.

You are entitled to that opinion...I may even agree. But you are off topic.

Thanks for saying that more politely than I was going to... :satisfied:
  • Like 1

Of all the legal hoops to jump through, synch rights are the last and most difficult. How many years ahead would you have corps be forced to plan? Or perhaps we should go back to the endless parade of non-melodies we've heard for years....or limit everyone to Public Domain material.

Just one year would suffice.

Of all the legal hoops to jump through, synch rights are the last and most difficult. How many years ahead would you have corps be forced to plan? Or perhaps we should go back to the endless parade of non-melodies we've heard for years....or limit everyone to Public Domain material.

This is a silly thing to say. How many other corps are having this problem?

Sync rights may be the hardest to get, but these days sync rights are as important if not more important than live performance and arrangement rights. If the Scouts can't get the rights in time, then both they and DCI are going to look bad, releasing a finals video with silence for a third of one of the shows.

• Like 5

The Scouts got all the rights they needed to. They're not the ones responsible for running the fan network or producing the DVDs. DCI is responsible for those things and should be responsible for paying the synchronization rights. It just costs so much that they don't want to.

• Like 5

If the Licencing gets cleared after the discs are shipped I would be satisfied with a high quality VPD (video performance download) of the Scouts for those of us who preordered in good faith we would get a complete product.

It might end up like Phantom '08, or Troopers '08 and '10, when they just put in silent portions, or in the case of Phantom, cut the footage. Luckily I got the first editions of the DVDs, so I have the full Phantom show. :thumbup:

Hope Madison will get it figured out. Because unless they ever come out to the West Coast, I'm stuck to watching them on video.

ibc

the Scouts ESOM is not one of the best closers of all time... it is probably not even a top 5 Madison closer. And it sounds really "white"... they need to fix that, desperately.

You are a constant source of pathetic humor. Thanks again kid. :thumbup:

• Like 2

The Scouts got all the rights they needed to. They're not the ones responsible for running the fan network or producing the DVDs. DCI is responsible for those things and should be responsible for paying the synchronization rights. It just costs so much that they don't want to.

This is true. It's not up to the Madison Scouts to clear their sync rights UNLESS they are selling their own CD of their music.

DCI is making all of the profits off of the BRD/DVD/CD/FN sales and are the ones producing the product, therefore they should be the ones to secure the sync rights.

• Like 2

A more interesting discussion, I think, is if a corps isn't 100% they can obtain the sync rights to a piece, should they scrap the idea or go full steam ahead? If the music is effective and works perfectly for a show, is there an obligation for a corps to think about the DVD's at the expense of competitive success: or should corps think 100% about the DVD's at the possible expense of show effectiveness?

Good question to discuss, I think.

One factor, though, is that it seems in DCI's case (maybe because of the way the schedule works out with tour in summer and DVD's in October/November) synchronization rights have been either slow to work out or pulled entirely during the summer. In some of these cases it's not under the corps control. In others <coughBeatlescough), however... yeah, Kiwanis didn't think ahead.

Mike