What others are saying about the Scouts ESOM

the Scouts ESOM is not one of the best closers of all time... it is probably not even a top 5 Madison closer. And it sounds really "white"... they need to fix that, desperately.

http://forum.the5thquarter.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11925

Taken from another thread today as soccerguy315 was having some fun, it made me think about a thread I recently read from the5thquarter forums. It is kind of interesting to read how others perceive the activity. I like reading stuff from here sometimes to see how HBCU band members feel about the drum corps activity. I think both activities provide entertainment for a certain niche audience. I hope others don't use this thread to bash HBCU bands, as their members seem to show as much passion for their activity as we do for ours. As for the Scouts, I love your show this year and it will go down as one of my favorites this year.

• Like 1

Whoa! I love HBCU Bands more than just about anyone... but for the life of me, they seem even more out of touch than we do!

My favorite is the guy with 20 people in his band, that has less than 10 sets total in their show, talking about how they routinely sound better in the bandroom than this.

• Like 1

That was embarrassing to read. I mean, I was embarrassed for the people replying to that thread. Talk about delusion! :huh:

Yeah, it sucks because there's no jungle beat to shake your ### to. Excellent point! :huh2:

• Like 7

...My favorite is the guy with 20 people in his band, that has less than 10 sets total in their show, talking about how they routinely sound better in the bandroom than this.

We do get that sort of expert opinion on DCP too... :rolleyes:

Edited by troon8
  • Like 1

Well, inspired by the comments there, and think about soccerguy's remarks, I sought out some performances of "Empire State of Mind" by the bands in question, as performed in the stands by JSU, SU, and ASU, and they brought home why the Jay-Z version doesn't exactly work in a medium without vocals. Between the choruses, the music is a pretty dull rhythm line with no melody.

Why on earth do bands with so much loud brass have any woodwinds?

• Like 1

What is a HBCU band?

Garry in Vegas

• Like 2

What is a HBCU band?

Garry in Vegas

Those dancing marching bands from the all-black universities.

• Like 1

What is a HBCU band?

Garry in Vegas

Historically Black College or University.

What is a HBCU band?

Garry in Vegas

Exactly :tongue:

• Like 1