Finals Week Predictions

Top6 predictions:

In 6th place, with a score 91.2 ... 91.2 The Santa Clara Vanguard!*

In 5th place, with a score of 91.7 ... 91.7 The Phantom Regiment!

In 4th place [this one is a LOCK IMO], w/ a score of 94.0 ... 94.0 Carolina Crown!*

In 3rd place, with a score of 95.5 ... 95.5 - The Cavaliers!

In 2nd place, with a final score of 96.1 - 9-6 point 1 - The Holy Name Cadets! (Is that what we call them now, not sure ...)

That means the 2011 DCI World Champions, with a score of 96.2 - 9-6 pt. 2 - The Blue Devils!

*Looks like its time for SCV to squeeze back into the Top6 ... paving the way for 5th, 3rd ..... you know how it goes! ;)

** Pt-wise there is a fairly wide space above and below 4th, so I don't see Crown moving out of 4th. This also should give them the street-cred to get a medal next year and after that, maybe even a ring. That would be a Cinderella story if I ever heard one.... "DCI 2015 Gold Medal goes to ... Carolina Crown." Ida never believed ya when I was in HS. Now it's a reality. With the right show and minimum ageout/turnover ... it could be 2014, h#@% it could be 2013.

I am so proud of this DC. In 1996 it was us battling it out with Crown, Pioneer, Les Etoiles, Kiwanis Kavaliers and Academie Musicale for the coveted 12th spot ... and now look at them! Topping PR and SCV. Kudos Crown.

96.2 is a little low for a champion's score, don't you think? the past few years we have seen 98.9, 99.05, 98.125, 98, 97.5, 99.15

With competition as close as it is, I think we'll see at least 98. I wonder if we'll get TWO 98s... i doubt we'd get 2 99s.

1-BD

2-Cadets -will be close.

3-Phantom -really came on strong at TOC .

4-Cavies , both passed by Phantom

5-Crown , drum line drops them

6-Santa Clara If they clean more.

7-Bluecoats

8- Boston ,

9--Blue Knights

10-Blue Stars

11-Madison -If only they could march.

12-Glassmen , knows what it takes.

13- Spirit , stagnant

14-Academy , not clean enough

15- Crossmen , cleaning very exciting

16 -Troopers ,quality but dull.

17-Colts

18-PC

19-Oregon Crusaders , wins open class,

20-Mandarins

21-Teal

22-Blue Devils B

23-Surf

24-SCC

25-Cascades

• Like 3

1-BD

2-Cadets -will be close.

3-Phantom -really came on strong at TOC .

4-Cavies , both passed by Phantom

5-Crown , drum line drops them

6-Santa Clara If they clean more.

7-Bluecoats

8- Boston ,

9--Blue Knights

10-Blue Stars

11-Madison -If only they could march.

12-Glassmen , knows what it takes.

13- Spirit , stagnant

14-Academy , not clean enough

15- Crossmen , cleaning very exciting

16 -Troopers ,quality but dull.

17-Colts

18-PC

19-Oregon Crusaders , wins open class,

20-Mandarins

21-Teal

22-Blue Devils B

23-Surf

24-SCC

25-Cascades

THIS is a prime example of a ridiculous prediction

For one, the days of seeing Phantom in the top 3 are over with. Atleast for awhile.

Two, what makes you think they could take out crown AND cavaliers? They're both executing their show better.

three, DCI has a nack for leaving people in suspense right before quarterfinals. Last year it was the Bluecoats trying to catch BD and staying ahead of the cavaliers. Which we knew wasnt going to happen.The year before that, they made it seem like Crown actually had a chance to catch BD, when in fact they werent even close come quarterfinals. And in 2008, they had Cavaliers beat BD right at Allentown, but didnt beat them again.

I think things being this close right now is all about ticket sales. Say what you want, but i still feel its a 3 horse race. I can actually see Cavaliers getting super clean this week and beating BD out and coming in a strong 2nd, or maybe even tie.Regardless, this is the first season in years where it wasnt obvious who was going to win.

Edited by YogiBear
  • Like 2

I think things being this close right now is all about ticket sales. Say what you want, but i still feel its a 3 horse race. I can actually see Cavaliers getting super clean this week and beating BD out and coming in a strong 2nd, or maybe even tie.Regardless, this is the first season in years where it wasnt obvious who was going to win.

I guess I am curoius just how these two sentences can possibly work right next to each other? The closeness is ALL about ticket sales... BUT you see it as a 3 horse race? Sorry dude you cannot have it both ways... Sack Up and make a REAL prediction without hedging your bet...

• Like 2

Ok, been a lot of predictions this year, but this is like no other year. Coming into finals week we could have major shakeups. Although some groupings have cleared been defined, others are still open to interpretation. Allentown showed us pretty stagnant placements and it just feels like we're likley to have explosive movements in Finals Week. What are your thoughts on what will happen?

I see these groupings in the finalist/contenders

1-3(4) BD, Cadets, Cavaliers (Crown- Very much a dark horse)

5-7 Phantom, Bluecoats, SCV

(8)-10(11) (Boston- could be 8th by themselves), Madison, BK (Blue Stars- Dark horse to make big move)

12-13(14,15) Spirit, Troopers (Academy, Glassmen- Dark Horse Finalists, but likley down to Spirit and Troop for 12th)

Semi Finals Locks- Colts, Crossmen, Pac Crest, Mandarins, Teal Sound (Jersey Surf- Most Likely)_

Semi Finals Contenders- WC/OP- Cascades, Pioneer, BDB, OC, SCVC, Spartans, Revolution.

I see Semis placements like this:

1) Cavies- 98.75

2) Cadets- 98.50

3) BD- 98.45

4) Crown- 97.90

5) Phantom- 96.0

6) Bluecoats- 93.2

7) SCV- 93.0

8) Boston- 91.5

9) Madison- 90.9

10) Blue Knights- 90.45

11) Blue Stars- 88.7

12) Spirit- 86.7

13) Troopers- 86.3

14) Academy- 84.7

15) Glassmen- 84.5

16) Colts- 83.65

17) Crossmen- 83.25

18) Pac Crest- 82.0

19) Mandarins- 81.05

20) Oregon Crusaders- 80.0

21) BDB- 79.75

22) Teal Sound- 78.9

23) SCVC- 78.65

24) Jersey surf- 78.45

25) Spartans- 77.75

Just Miss making Semis from Prelims- Cascades, Pioneer, Revolution

Finals Placements:

1) Cadets- 99.15

2) Cavaliers- 98.85

3) Crown- 98.25

4) BD- 98.15

5) Phantom- 96.5

6) SCV- 94.2

7) Bluecoats- 93.75

8) Boston- 91.65

9) Blue Knights- 90.75

10) Madison- 90.65

11) Blue Stars- 88.50

12) Spirit- 86.70

Just for fun... wouldn't be surprised to see it end up this way. top 3-4 could do anything, Phantom seems locked into 5. SCV could make a move with Bluecoats having guard issues, Boston looks solid in 8th, but they have a 4 min span where there is only solos or solis going on- Music GE starting to show an issue. BK and Madison have had scores all over the road- Perc is adventure for Madtown and has been lately for BK as well. Spirit the strongest of the grouping vying for finals, but Troop could make a run!! I really do not think the placements the way they are now are going to finish that way, what's your thoughts or guesses? I wish we could see all of prelims and not just 15 corps, but oh well!!

Wes Perkins

BK 97, 98

In no order: 1-6 Cadets, Crown, Boston, BD, Phantom, Cavs.

7-12 Madison, SCV, BC, BK, Spirit, BS and Troops .

Note: Maybe we will see a tie.

After last night, I would not count out Xmen and I think Boston is better than BK and SCV (at least they were to most of the fans at Massillon).

• Like 2

When the competition is tight at the top the scores are generally lower as they hold each other down

You get the 99s when first place is way out in front of everyone else, you get the high 98s when the top 2 corps are way out in front of everyone else

I think 2006, a 96 something won as the corps were pretty tight

Generally, the lower the winning score the better the year

I have not researched this, really just my impression

I do expect a surprise in the top 4

I think I am going to add some controversy - BUT

Has anyone but me thought that the outcome may be in the hands of who judges.

We have all seen certain judges that have placed corps (in sub-captions) in places we are not used to seeing them. Why would we think this can't happem Saturday.

I hope it is a perfect panel, but I am worried about this as a Cadet Fan, and other corps fans might have a thought about this too.

Edited by oldsnare

I think I am going to add some controversy - BUT

Has anyone but me thought that the outcome may be in the hands of who judges.

We have all seen certain judges that have placed corps (in sub-captions) in places we are not used to seeing them. Why would we think this can't happem Saturday.

I hope it is a perfect panel, but I am worried about this as a Cadet Fan, and other corps fans might have a thought about this too.

^^THIS^^

Judges like "she who shall not be named" may completely destroy any previous notions of where corps will place.