How many think Cadets 2 will be the death of other corps

That was 2008. Welcome to 2011.

See what you don't get is Hop got bounced from the DCI BOD. DCI revolted against the G7 stuff. He may have won this summer but that doesn't mean they do his bidding

Hmm... I think we need to keep these arguments in context. I don't think I said that DCI does his bidding... If you got that impression that was certainly not what I want to convey. Nor did I state that I believe he instanteously will be able to change DCA. On the other hand, I do given him credit because he does stand and take the hits.

But I do fear his influence (particularly regarding electronics and woodwinds) and perhaps becoming a figurehead for the "progressive" (electronics, woodwinds, etc) crowd who want to see DCA turn into a mirror of DCI. I don't think anyone can deny he was a key player in DCI's adoption of electronica. But I don't think he's going to snap his fingers and everyone in DCA will jump either. Now do I fear his influence on DCA? Of course I do and I think there are valid concerns. He has openly stated that he believes that woodwinds and electronica have a part in drum corps. That concerns me. Finally, I would have far less fears about C2 if it was a DCA corps that followed the demographics of all other DCA corps. This is not any sort of paranoia-it's stating valid concerns on a discussion board where you discuss ideas.

• Like 1

Nothing against what anyone is doing to keep drum corps alive in any part of the country. More power to them.

I take offense to ANYONE who is going to dump on my corps like Gary did. A corps that I was a member of(and a very proud alum) who worked their tail off to help put the organization in a position for future success. He said there was an "outhouse" on the field...where someone takes a crap! I don't care if he's keeping the entire activity alive...I take serious offense to such a comment and I will respond accordingly. I'm sure that if I were to make such a comment about the Westshoremen or any other drum corps from the great state of Pennsylvania you guys would feel differently.

I dunno. I was with Westshore at the end. I've probably said worse.

I must say tho, far worse was said about that prop in 2005 and I dont remember you being nearly that rude to people then.

so, IMO, in defending your corps, you dishonored them in the way you did it.

Hmm... I think we need to keep these arguments in context. I don't think I said that DCI does his bidding... If you got that impression that was certainly not what I want to convey. Nor did I state that I believe he instanteously will be able to change DCA. On the other hand, I do given him credit because he does stand and take the hits.

But I do fear his influence (particularly regarding electronics and woodwinds) and perhaps becoming a figurehead for the "progressive" (electronics, woodwinds, etc) crowd who want to see DCA turn into a mirror of DCI. I don't think anyone can deny he was a key player in DCI's adoption of electronica. But I don't think he's going to snap his fingers and everyone in DCA will jump either. Now do I fear his influence on DCA? Of course I do and I think there are valid concerns. He has openly stated that he believes that woodwinds and electronica have a part in drum corps. That concerns me. Finally, I would have far less fears about C2 if it was a DCA corps that followed the demographics of all other DCA corps. This is not any sort of paranoia-it's stating valid concerns on a discussion board where you discuss ideas.

honestly...I think you're over reacting. Hop tried to get into DCA before remember? How'd that go?

drum corps may at some time add woodwinds. But if it does, he'll hardly be the only guy in the room pushing for it.

Plus, as Kay said, I've been to DCA meetings. Him walking in there and being able to run the place is like saying a Cowboys fan will be welcomed with hugs and free beers fresh from the tap at an Iddles game.

I dunno. I was with Westshore at the end. I've probably said worse.

I must say tho, far worse was said about that prop in 2005 and I dont remember you being nearly that rude to people then.

so, IMO, in defending your corps, you dishonored them in the way you did it.

again Jeff, you are entitled to your opinion. However, I have never seen or heard that comment before today. If I had, my reacton in 2005 would not have been any different than it was in 2011. It's amazing which side you take here Jeff. We all know how you feel about George Hopkins and the Cadets in general. I really shouldn't be surprised that you feel that I "dishonored" my corps.

• Like 1

Which, along with 44 cents, will buy you a stamp. It's also meaningless to this discussion.

As is insulting shows from another circuit, when the ultimate goal is to have DCA work at its best. You can't do that by posting classless comments about another and think you still have credibility.

If all-age was looking for a buzz, Cadets2 has filled the bill.

If they are talking about you, that aint a bad thing.

Cadets2 will create more buzz for all-age in the music community than any other person, corps, email blast, tv-ad or news story. Period.

If All-Age Corps is a place to march that both unders (21) and overs (21) find legit, meaningful and do-able at the same time...MORE people will show up, not fewer. Cadets2 will HELP to fill the ranks of the Cabs and Bushwackers and Bucs and Empire and MBI and Renegades and so on.

The Ghost Riders dont just practice the hell out of their show "so it can be the best it can be" and all that happy talk...part of the reason you show up is to beat the other guy. And that's a reasonable comparison to this "Cadets2" thing, imo. Star United didnt make mini-corps worse. They went a LONG way to making mini-corps bigger and better...a MUST SEE, standing room only event.

From THE LONGEST YARD:

Burt Reynolds: You want to play some football?

Inmate: No.

Burt Reynolds: We're playing the Guards.

Inmate: The Guards?

Burt Reynolds: The Guards.

Inmate: Yeah....I wanna play.

Go get em, Cadets2.

• Like 3

again Jeff, you are entitled to your opinion. However, I have never seen or heard that comment before today. If I had, my reacton in 2005 would not have been any different than it was in 2011. It's amazing which side you take here Jeff. We all know how you feel about George Hopkins and the Cadets in general. I really shouldn't be surprised that you feel that I "dishonored" my corps.

I'll tell you how you did. You call someone for being rude and disrespectful.... By doing the same thing in kind! How classy is that?

I know many former Cadets, and I can tell you they would have handled it far better. Why? Cause that's how Hop taught em to do it.

Trust me, I could trash Jerry Mace on here daily for how he killed my old corps, as well as the few that tried to keep it going and just sealed the coffin. But I don't.

I'm not a Hop fan but I can tell you he doesn't preach behavior like you displayed. I suggest a trip to Holy Name to confess

Edited by Jeff Ream

I can't wait to see what happens with C2 and how DCA responds. Weekend-only junior corps is a great idea.ph34r.gif

Reading took a substantial step in that direction and look where it's gotten them recently. And there's no secret about how they do it -- look at their membership and their off-season rehearsal schedule.

C2 is not just taking a step -- they're jumping in the whole way. How the *rest* of DCA responds is going to be interesting (to say the least).

C2 is not just taking a step -- they're jumping in the whole way. How the *rest* of DCA responds is going to be interesting (to say the least).

Same here (yeah I'm in a better mood now---sorry about the other thread)..... Also waiting to see how other Jr corps handle what happens with C2. Who knows, when I started in 1974 I never thought that smaller Class A corps would be such a boon to DCA. Maybe C2 will be the start of something just as good to the activity.

As to GH taking over..... lets just say I've seen some of the DCA VP in action.... he ain't no pushover.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari