Santa Clara Vanguard - GE Music and Brass Scores

I guess no one could see this coming: 10th in GE Music by GE Music judge #2, and 11th in Brass.

I am curious to see how long the SCV Administration is going to allow this to happen.

I think 10 years is long enough...maybe they will change by 2067. The 100th anniversary of the corps...

• Like 3

The sky is falling, the sky is falling?

• Like 1

I guess no one could see this coming: 10th in GE Music by GE Music judge #2, and 11th in Brass.

I am curious to see how long the SCV Administration is going to allow this to happen.

I think 10 years is long enough...maybe they will change by 2067. The 100th anniversary of the corps...

11th in Brass makes sense to me. They never got the power they ought to have in the brass this year. Which I think would explain the low GE Music score as well. GE is totally subjective anyway, how are you going to not "allow" this kind of thing? That's why there are double GE judges. :rolleyes:

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

I definitely saw the brass score coming. And personally, while I like the music that they've decided to play (Barber's First Essay is probably in my top 3 favorite pieces in the history of ever) I don't think that the musical arrangements are particularly effective. Visually I feel that this corps is coming along, and obviously their drumline is killer, but they need a new music arranger and a new brass staff.

• Like 4

I talked to a kid from Vanguard at the Rockford show and he seemed to think the hornline was just really young and still transitioning to life under Jeff.

Maybe he was just making excuses, but they've still made noticeable progress throughout the year, IMO.

Edited by PhantomCav
  • Like 1

A young corps explains part of it. I know that in 1998, we had something like 400 kids show up to the audition... and that was after hundreds of kids were turned down via video audition... all because 1997 was so successful. When a corps places in the 5-7th position consistently for years, that hurts recruitment... But there's more to it than that...

Edited by scvjesse

Fix this problem: K_Y _O_L_N Fill in the blanks

• Like 5

I thought the brass has been over scored all season IMO, so this was not any surprise to me by any means. It really pains me to say this because SCV's brass has almost always been at the top of my list of favorites and one that I really usually dig big time. This year for me in terms of their brass they have been below par IMO.

Yes...and GE Judge #1 had them in 7th in both...which has been the story with SCV all season. Their GE Music scores have been all over the place. I haven't tried to track judge to scoring trend, but I suspect that a few of the judges really have issues with them...others not so much. More than anything, it just reinforces my belief that judging has become irrelevant.

Regardless, they have been underwhelming in brass the last few years. Hard to know what the problem is...but if I were O/O of SCV, I would make a change at this point. This brass staff has had enough time to show some improvement. I don't recall the exact stat, but in my grad work I remember coming across some organizational development research that said that organizations that don't improve with new leadership after three cycles almost never will. I freely admit that I am not a brass expert, but it seems pretty clear that something's not working. Time to try something else. Seems like SCV has enough infrastructural strength that making a change won't make things worse...and it's worth a try to make things better.

• Like 1

Vanguard just hired a new brass caption head not too long ago. I want to say this is his first year teaching Vanguard brass.

Personally, I felt that the previous brass caption head, Andre Feagin, achieved phenomenal success with SCV.

The hornline had a great rich, dark, orchestral sound that hit you like a train when they let it out.

But, the shows in the last years have largely exercised great restraint with volume. Particularly if the shows are only seen on video, I could see a perception of weakness within the brass.

LoveKathyG, I think at this moment we can say that over the season the corps' brass has gotten better. And we may hope to see the corps building on their successes from this season to produce greater results next year.