Santa Clara Vanguard - GE Music and Brass Scores

SCV right now is Cavaliers in the late 90's. Obscure theme and source material, decent visual and percussion, substandard brass line. Heck, they even stole Cavies marching style.

The problem is, we've seen this show before....at Cavaliers. I'd rather see Vanguard. Haven't really seen that corps since 2004. I'd rather they reboot and bring the old kick-### Vanguard back then rehash something Cavaliers did fifteen years ago.

Herein lies the inherent problem. Jeff is trying to recapture Cavaliers lightning in a bottle.

"My best years as a coach were when I did what it took to make that team better, instead of trying to make my ego better and teach them like the previous years."

Joe Paterno

Jeff's facing a learning curve right now... and I think he'll come out of it and SCV will just fine, but they have to learn to let go of what happened in the past and focus on tomorrow and where they are.

• Like 2

great design. hope the brass performance approach changes next year...let them play out for goodness sake.

Yes SIR!

If they played with the sound they do at the resolution in the ballad... heck... for even 3 minutes of the show, they'd be top 5 in brass right now.

It is awesome. But it is only 2 notes...ugh.

• Like 2

Herein lies the inherent problem. Jeff is trying to recapture Cavaliers lightning in a bottle.

"My best years as a coach were when I did what it took to make that team better, instead of trying to make my ego better and teach them like the previous years."

Joe Paterno

Jeff's facing a learning curve right now... and I think he'll come out of it and SCV will just fine, but they have to learn to let go of what happened in the past and focus on tomorrow and where they are.

I meant to give you a green + but i accidentally clicked the red -. so sorry

No, pretty #### sure he wouldn't be. Yeah, they're not winning, I'll give you that. But even during Gail's day, the Vanguard was about pushing things forward, doing music that hadn't been done before, and doing shows no one would think of. That's what the Vanguard has always been about. I hate to read when people say, "They're not Vanguard", because YES, THEY ARE. They're doing the shows that made them famous, cerebral, avant-garde shows, shows that make you think, and actually work, instead of just beating you over the head with a theme.

And there's nothing wrong with the staff. It's the first year for the brass staff. No staff walks in and makes a championship corps. It takes some time to make the adjustments, at least SCV is working towards consistency, which will help their placements in a few years. Just because Key isn't doing arrangements of "drum corps music" doesn't mean he needs to be canned. He's actually an amazing guy, and a great arranger. All he's been doing at SCV is taking the source music, and transporting it straight onto the field, without all of the "chop-and-bop" arranging people have been complaining. Guess some people are never satisfied unless they're complaining.

Oh, and on the recaps, one judge had them down, the other one had them in 7th for both captions. Get all the info next time before you try and start something, thanks.

totally agree with you. SCV always has the best music. Sure I'd love to see them win again but if they are going to be in the middle of the pack and keep playing great music I'm ok with that too. I loved the music this year!

• Like 4

So for all those clamoring for consistency - the Staff Coordinator has fired yet another brass staff! How is it that the person doing the most against consistency, consistently avoids scrutiny and retains job security! How is it that we continually turn-over quality designers, caption heads and staff members and still consistently place in the middle of the pack at the end of the year? These results are not acceptable for the Vanguard namesake.

If this was corporate America this person would have been terminated long ago!

SCV BOD, please take notice of what this person is doing!!!

Key's out too. This is turning into a crazy off season!

Now, where did you hear that? Because there's nothing on the website or anywhere about Key leaving the corps. Losing the brass staff is a bit of a hit, but they clearly had a reason. Hope the new staff can put the corps back on top.

• Like 2

FIRST the right staff, THEN staff consistency. It has to be both, and it has to be in that order. Anything else is disaster. Sorry, but it seems pretty elementary to me.

Completely agree!!!! And the Staff Coordinators apparent ineptness to hire the 'right staff' has never been more highlighted! How many brass caption heads in the last seven years? How many Staff Coordinators? It's all in the numbers

• Like 1

I loved the music this year!

Reading this thread tells me that a lot of SCV fans loved the music and brass playing technique and teaching style at SCV these last couple of years. If Key is out as rumored, then many SCV fans are going to be quite dissapointed with this news it would appear. SCV seems split between those like you and others that " love this music " and those SCV fans and alums that don't. It is a difference in style and approach. It is a lightening rod. One either tends to "love" this unique SCV music and brass playing, or one tends to really " hate " it. There appears to be no middle ground with most fans on this it appears. Thus, there is no doubt going to be some very disappointed fans if SCV decides to scuttle their current brass staff. SCV this year is in definate flux and is torn between 2 camps... and its a very public dispute being aired out here, by the way. Some SCV fans love this staff and this unique style of brass playing and music selection.... as is quite obvious from reading many pages on this thread.... but others are adamant that SCV needs a complete overhaul in their brass staff, and the music that is selected to be played stylistically. It appears that the staff is being replaced. If so, this news will bring joy to some SCV fans, and probably disappointment or anger to other SCV music fans. But it is what it is. When there are such divided fans within a fan base re. a Corps music, this naturally will occur when a Corps makes a staff change that will effect the current brass teaching techniques, as well as probably the music selections that will be made for next season as well.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3