Semifinals Webcast chat

All of the corps that did an encore in Houston, those were mixed. We faded that up and down. I think the last corps was Blue Devils as we faded.

Where can I get that recording? I loved it!

I have to say. I disagree with the consensus of how great BAC is. I think they are good, and perform well. I think the show design is a meh. And I absolutely HATE the arranging from the first company front to the end. It doesn't work for me at all. Like it makes me angry?? Because it's so poorly arranged. IMO. And I also think Madison and BK should be above them.

I know people won't agree. I'm just not a fan of the show.

Same. I expected more from Les Mis

Nobody has brought this up yet... Spirit is still leading in percussion (Bluecoats score hasn't went up yet)

That line is smoking. That whole corps brought a lot of energy to the field.

One of the tech talkers is running the FN stream. Relax man :)

10/4. As an Alumni I do have some room to get my whine on, w/in the boundaries of good taste.

thx for the update.

As for "Relax" ... not till I see scores for SCV, PR, Cavs, BD and Gah-field. So is Blooooo on or INT or ?

The following is a quote from Boo's live blog:

"And for heaven's sake, folks, if I accomplish nothing else this week, Bluecoats is ONE WORD. (I'm looking at you, you two-word Drum Corps Planet savages. Come get in line with Huxley's World State and no one will get hurt. There will be some extra soma for you if you comply.) "

• Like 1

Why would they go on before BK when they beat BK in prelims and semis?

You folks are quick. :worthy: I deleted the post during a break from the Sox game I'm watching on DVR. Messed up the split screen with last nights results.

From the live Atlanta stream, NOTICABLY yes.

Atlanta seemed pretty well dialed in ... I'm sure some compression was applied there, but it was done modestly at most and preserved a good deal of the percussion impacts, esp. from the pit. Tonight, it's way overapplied ... almost no dynamic contrast in the current stream.

(Listening here through a Benchmark DAC1 24bit ADC into Sennheiser HD650s.)

There is no difference in what's being done in relation to the encoding on the machine side for the streams. The setup has some differences by building, but the signal chain is simply a direct feed from the "truck". The same engineering team that did the Atlanta stream is here, and they are doing the same things. There was only one "flavor" change in the mix, and that is that I had them remove ambient crowd. This makes a bigger difference in hearing less "dome". Makes sense; any excessive reverb shouldn't be captured where possible. But they still have headroom in the mix.

The software compression, which is different of course, is being done the same way, with an AAC MPEG4 stream that gets encoded in the Flash stream. That contains a reserved 128kbps, so it's pretty solid, and full spectrum.

If I had to guess, you're critiquing building characteristics more than the engineer, and I can take that criticism. We're a long way from 64kbps wma from a couple years back... :)

If you'd like to geek out a little more, drop me a line at mat@dci.org.