Cadets contra went down at semis

I think noname is right - Falls happen and judges understand this. However, they do judge your recovery and I've heard that you can actually raise your score with a good recovery just as much as not having fallen at all.

Edited by Vanguard07

I've always heard that it depends on the recovery. If it's a terrible recovery, then yes, it'll probably affect points in a negative way. But if it's an impressive recovery and a judge sees it? Well, he'll be impressed, so...

1986 Best Color Guard. Devils somehow won... right on camera in about the 2nd or 3rd minute, a girl dropped her flag... it was sadly comical watching her try to recover. I guess it only matters sometimes.

• Like 1

When someone falls it likely affects the visual performance and ensemble score, a maybe a little in visual GE. But it's only a few seconds worth in a 12 minute show, so the bigger picture still must be considered and scored. One 3-second mishap shouldn't affect 10 to 20% of your score. I think there is a perception amongst fans that a fall should cost a corps 1, 2, 3 points or more. The Cavaliers also had a member fall at the end of their show, and their score went up as well, and rightly so.

Overall, the Cadets marched like demons and their show was much cleaner last night.

I think the only way a fall will dramatically affect a score is if it causes a major, lasting disruption visually or musically (or both). As with any error, if there is a quick recovery, then the impact is greatly diminished. My understanding is that with the snare fall last year, it took a while for the individual to recover, and in the meantime there was some musical fallout, as well, so the score suffered more. I wasn't there, so take my comment with a grain of salt. I'm just going by observations that others posted.

1986 Best Color Guard. Devils somehow won... right on camera in about the 2nd or 3rd minute, a girl dropped her flag... it was sadly comical watching her try to recover. I guess it only matters sometimes.

I remember this moment; it stands out because, unfortunately for that guard member, the drop happened just as the camera focused in on that section of guard. But I think it's also important to remember that, especially via the old telecasts, our only window into that world is limited by what camera angles/editing were chosen at a particular moment. Winning performances are never as "perfect" as we like to think they are . . . and just because errors weren't caught on camera doesn't mean that none occurred. As the previous poster noted, the big picture may outweigh any individual error that happened to be preserved for all to see on video.

Edited by byline
  • Like 2

When someone falls it likely affects the visual performance and ensemble score, a maybe a little in visual GE. But it's only a few seconds worth in a 12 minute show, so the bigger picture still must be considered and scored. One 3-second mishap shouldn't affect 10 to 20% of your score. I think there is a perception amongst fans that a fall should cost a corps 1, 2, 3 points or more. The Cavaliers also had a member fall at the end of their show, and their score went up as well, and rightly so.

Overall, the Cadets marched like demons and their show was much cleaner last night.

it's all about the recovery

We need to "stage" more effectively to make things look harder, and thus mitigate risk.

Exactly what BD does

Edited by ContraFart

Stop blaming this on demons. I'm tired of all the hating on this board.

Oh, and let's get this straight: the Cadets contra who fell and recovered didn't "squeeze" back into the line. I read the other thread. Didn't you? He was clearly "slotted" into the line by the judges.

ROTFLMBO!!! Just perfect! :angel1::devil:

And speaking of judges: I was shocked to see that they actually run around on that field. Get them off the field, because fast movements, as well as simultaneous movement and talking into their tri-corders, make me very nervous. They should slot themselves into some chairs.

LOL! I love sarcasm, as it's the highest form of humor (and you do it well) but unfortunately for this last sarcastic bit, I AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT! What's that tell you about me? :tic:

It's the 21st century. Get the judges off the field!!!

[/quote

Edited by wvu80

Exactly. You're talking about 1 member, out of 150, for 5 seconds of a 12 minute show, or .004% of a show.

they do judge your recovery and I've heard that you can actually raise your score with a good recovery just as much as not having fallen at all.

While I certainly understand the sympathetic nature to someone that falls, lets hope that a marcher falling, could not potentially " raise your Corps score " if the recovery was a super duper one. Otherwise, to follow such logic to it's ridiculous extreme, Corps could actually begin to practice falling down and getting up with dexterity and aplomb in order to squeeze a few more tenths of of a show performance.

I'm for not negatively impacting a Corps show score to any major degree if a marcher falls. But the notion that a fall could " actually raise your Corps score " in any way, shape, or form ? Fahgetttaboutitt.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

People have been falling for years in drum corps. Nothing new here. I do hope the kid is allright and marching tonight. It broke my heart to hear about the SNare drummer from Cadets with the hip issue.

With that said I do not see the complexity and speed of the drill reverting back anytime soon. Judges (and fans to a certain degree) expect to see kids running around the field like its a athletic event and I only see it getting worse before someone really gets hurt bad.