The OFFICIAL 2012 Prediction Thread

I'll have to save this for when August rolls around to see how wrong I am. :tongue:

1. Carolina Crown

2. Cavaliers

3. Blue Devils

4. Santa Clara Vanguard

5. Cadets

6. Boston Crusaders

7. Bluecoats

8. Blue Knights

9. Phantom Regiment

10. Madison Scouts

11. Spirit of Atlanta

12. Blue Stars

13. Troopers

14. Glassmen

15. Academy

16. Crossmen

17. Colts

18. Teal Sound

19. Jersey Surf

20. Cascades

21. Pacific Crest

22. Mandarins

23. Pioneer

I originally put explanations for most of my "odd" choices here, but I took them out to avoid arguments.

Edited by MetalTones2012
  • Like 2

I predict general discontent over scores/placements.

I also predict happy thoughts.

• Like 1

Since we have no idea, except past performance, I will use CI:

1-3: BD, Cadets, Cavies (in no particular order)

4-7: Bloo, Crown, PR, SCV

8-11: BK, Boston, BS, Madison

12: Crapshoot

Remember: When you make a claim about who's going to make noise (Madison, Boston, etc), you have to also spell out who's most likely to stumble, making room for the noise-makers.

For example, when Spirit was making noise last Winter, everyone pretty much agreed Glassmen were most vulnerable. Lo and behold, it worked out that way.

Bloo and SCV certainly look vulnerable to me, but SCV has a clear history of turning things around; Bloo, not so much, except they haven't been lower than 7th since 2002. SCV HAS NEVER BEEN LOWER THAN 8th. (No other corps can say that.)

Can PR get away with playing 3 ballads again? Lucky for them, SCV and Bloo were so "out there," no one "got it." Everyone "gets it" when PR plays ballads, so they did three of them, lol. Not sure that's going to fly again.

I have to agree with this. Especially 12 being a crapshoot. I would love for my Bones to make it in. Last year was awesome... but the visual design suffered a bit compared to others because of the music. Which is a shame that it has to be that way in the judging world because the music choices were absolutely wonderful and very enjoyable. So if they can figure out how to keep the groove, and musical phrasing while having an effective visual design at the same time we have a winner. And if they clean up that horn line, I'm sure they will be good to go. But 12-17/18 had been getting tighter and tighter each year, and the corps keep getting stronger and stronger.

Who do they kick out of the top 12 though? Really tough to say. If anyone 8-12 misses on show design, they could easily get the boot to make room.

PR can play as many ballads as they want. If they could just do their Hymns, Heroics, and Great Resolutions Album as a show, I'd be content. Add in 03, 06, 08 ballads. YUM.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

I say no..only because I dont think their finals appearence was a slam dunk by no means. That last week it could have gone to anyone of 3 I believe.

I would say that Spirit of Atlanta making 12th WAS A SLAM DUNK. After Minnesota, it became more and more clear with each regional that they were opening the spread between them and the competition. The gap between them and the rest of the corps below them was 2.6 at semis and 3.1 at prelims. That spread is almost unheard of in the top 15 or so corps now-a-days. At finals they were only .9 from Blue Stars, a very talented and well-performing corps.

Edited by westcoastblue
  • Like 1

After really being involved in watching the seasons progress since I marched in '09, I'll throw my hat in the ring. I would like to take it beyond the top 12 however - I'll go ahead and throw in the top 18 (which would be the first corps out of semis)

16/17/18 - Glassmen/Teal Sound/Colts - The Glassmen play pretty well, but the design choices for their programs over the last few years have just been a little dull...not since '02 (really) has they had a finals level program. My underdog group, Teal Sound - they really do play well, and with the right atmosphere of design and execution, they could start to pull ahead in World Class. The Colts have slowly been declining, and I think that their "Swan Lake" program this year will ultimately hurt them.

You invested a lot of time into your post. Thanks. It was a fun read. I am confused however about the comment that Glassmen play pretty well. If you mean percussion, I agree completely. However, I am confused when people think the brass play well. I like the Glassmen. Wish them well, but the brass have not been very good since 2007. I think they have gotten the benefit of the doubt in brass since then. I know I am not on the field, but when I hear them at shows, and then see the brass scores, I am usually shocked at where they are placed. No really, shocked is the best word I think that applies here. The sounds I hear upstairs certainly have to be produced downstairs. I know they have young students, but a lot of corps in their competitive range have young players too. I do agree that programming is an area that needs most attention, and the brass program.

Edited by westcoastblue

I would say that Spirit of Atlanta making 12th WAS A SLAM DUNK. After Minnesota, it became more and more clear with each regional that they were opening the spread the spread between them and the competition. The gap between them and the rest of the corps below them was 2.6 at semis and 3.1 at prelims. That spread is almost unheard of in the top 15 or so corps now-a-days. At finals they were only .9 from Blue Stars, a very talented and well-performing corps.

just a few days before glassmen beat them ( over a point and I believe troopers tied them....it was far from a slam dunk...JMO but the spread at DCI was not warrented at all but I do think DCI made it clear a new finalist was going to happen...as far as them to BS........well thats another story or opinion as to how well they did this season....JMO