The OFFICIAL 2012 Prediction Thread

I get that. But -- by orders of magnitude -- the Cavies had the most significant staff change in the off season.

Do people really believe you can just drop in someone to replace MG?

Maybe but I don't believe it for a second.

As I said before... MG doesn't work alone with coming up with visual ideas. I believe that the duties of a visual staff is to come up with drill ideas AND clean the drill during the season. Yes, MG had a lot of ideas and they were put on the field, but I am sure he didn't do it alone. Plus, The Cavaliers have won many championships with different drill designers. Also, it is apparent that drill is one really big factor for The Cavaliers.. I really don't think they would have gotten some joe blow designer if he wasn't up to the task. I have faith in the visual staff. I am very certain that The Cavaliers will be just fine visually.

• Like 1

As I said before... MG doesn't work alone with coming up with visual ideas. I believe that the duties of a visual staff is to come up with drill ideas AND clean the drill during the season. Yes, MG had a lot of ideas and they were put on the field, but I am sure he didn't do it alone. Plus, The Cavaliers have won many championships with different drill designers. Also, it is apparent that drill is one really big factor for The Cavaliers.. I really don't think they would have gotten some joe blow designer if he wasn't up to the task. I have faith in the visual staff. I am very certain that The Cavaliers will be just fine visually.

No the visual staff does not come up with drill ideas. Please do not underscore the creative impact Mike Gaines had on the cavalier organization. Steve brubaker wrote the drill in 92 for the championship. And Greg wrote the drill in 95. So two other drill writers won one championship each. And mike has won every championship they have had since. Both Mike and Greg growing up, were learning from Steve. It's always been in the family so to speak.

This year I'm feeling shades of 1997. Shooop

• Like 5

Quite a negative post you've got there.

After reading my post, I agree it is more negative than positive. Not my initial intention. I guess I was trying to justify why everyone's favorite corps may not win or move up...

There are lots of talented corps and staffs. There will be many great shows and great performances. I feel the talent depth keeps getting stronger and stronger from top to bottom.

I am not sure if Cesario's artistic vision is necessarily reflected in the show announcements, but of course know that none of the preseason conjecture has too much basis on what

will eventually revealed as truth once we see the corps perform.

I honestly want everyone to do well and see the activity thrive.

• Like 4

Quite a negative post you've got there.

After reading my post, I agree it is more negative than positive. Not my initial intention. I guess I was trying to justify why everyone's favorite corps may not win or move up...

There are lots of talented corps and staffs. There will be many great shows and great performances. I feel the talent depth keeps getting stronger and stronger from top to bottom.

I am not sure if Cesario's artistic vision is necessarily reflected in the show announcements, but of course know that none of the preseason conjecture has too much basis on what

will eventually revealed as truth once we see the corps perform.

I honestly want everyone to do well and see the activity thrive.

• Like 1

So basically -- you think he's just a drill writer who can simply be replaced by another drill writer?? And you have faith things will be fine.

That's cool and maybe they will be.

I think you severely underestimate what MG brought to design. And -- when it gets down to it -- reaching the very top is mostly a function of design. Everyone (at the top) can march, play, and spin.

• Like 1

I do have to say, drill design is a VERY BIG DEAL in DCI these days. And few have been able to consistently write championship quality drill. MG was one of those drill writers.

You can not down play how important the drill design is. Especially when the drill effects every caption on the sheets in some way.

MG's drill will be missed.

while im not downplaying MG leaving and Hinshaw as a replacement, we have to remember that the Cavaliers organization know what championship drill design looks like. The Cavaliers design team is very experienced and have been around the corps for many years and alot of them for championship years. I have faith that someone would step up and provide guidance and say .."you know what this drill isnt really working" or "you know what we need to take this drill up a notch". Trust me the design team knows the history/tradition of Cavaliers drill design. They know that the audience expects nothing less then spectacular from them year after year.

I don't think there will be a big drop off either.

But we won't know until we see the product on the field.

And that time is coming soon. I CAN'T WAIT

Much anticipation for the season.

9-11

BK-With their recent success I can see them staying in this grouping but don't quite know what they really need to do in order to move up.

Madison-As much as I'd like to see this group create a more competitive run towards the top, I think all these changes that are being made to them need to settle in a bit more before they actually start to move up in the rankings and getting back so rivaling some of the other teams again.

Blue Stars-I can see them moving back up again since they have been up there but their design needs actually be better and not seem better than last season. Love this corps a lot and wish them the best.

Are you aware of who's on their staff?

Whether or not one likes Christmas Music, if the design conveys the message of (whatever) and the captions are proficient, they will stay in the

top tier. I had the same feeling about the CAVIES/Billy Joel show in 2007. OMG, they are going to tank etc. They were extremely competitive all season long and medaled. I just think the CADETS with their staff consistency, knows what they're doing and I will give them the benefit of the doubt

until the season really begins and then its all up for grabs. (so I agree with BF)..

You know, I thought the exact same thing! I was so impressed/shocked that Cavies pulled off that Billy Joel show. I wrote the corps director a note! Great example!

Oh, and I hate Christmas Music! But, I think Cadets will do well!