No position changes all weekend

I'm not saying corps "x" should have beaten corps "y" or anthing like that. But at the same time, no position changes 1-12, 3 days in a row? It might be legit, it probably is legit. But.....something about it, which I can't quite communicate properly, kinda depresses me. Knowing that nothing's going to change, just, I don't know, takes a little something out of it, IMO.

If drum corps weren't adjudicated, would people go to watch? Would kids participate in it? Would corps directors and staff be interested in it? Probably not, I don't know. But at the same time, judging seems to leave me flat lately.

Or it could just be the - drum corps is over for another season - depression starting to set in.

• Like 2

I'm not saying corps "x" should have beaten corps "y" or anthing like that. But at the same time, no position changes 1-12, 3 days in a row? It might be legit, it probably is legit. But.....something about it, which I can't quite communicate properly, kinda depresses me. Knowing that nothing's going to change, just, I don't know, takes a little something out of it, IMO.

If drum corps weren't adjudicated, would people go to watch? Would kids participate in it? Would corps directors and staff be interested in it? Probably not, I don't know. But at the same time, judging seems to leave me flat lately.

Or it could just be the - drum corps is over for another season - depression starting to set in.

What do you mean drum corps is over for another season? DCA is still going strong. In fact there are 5 shows next weekend:

8/20/11:Scranton, PA

8/20/11:St. Paul, MN

8/20/11:Douglasville, GA

8/21/11:St. Peter, MN

8/21/11:Secaucus, NJ

• Like 1

So let's look at position changes more closely over the season for the Top 12 since you brought up just finals...How does this make you or others feel?

# of Positions Down from 1st Regional to Finals

-3 Cavaliers 1st to 3rd

-3 Madison 8th to 10th

-2 Carolina Crown 2nd to 4th

-1 Bluecoats 6th to 7th

-1 Blue Stars 10th to 11th

# of Positions Up from 1st Regional to Finals

+4 Cadets 4th to 1st

+3 Blue Knights 11th to 9th

+1 Blue Devils 3rd to 2nd

+1 Santa Clara 7th to 6th

+1 Boston 9th to 8th

+1 Spirit 13th to 12th

No change in Position from 1st Regional to Finals

Phantom Regiment 5th

Regional #2 – San Antonio (8 corps changed position from previous regional)

Blue Devils, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, Boston Crusaders, Madison Scouts, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Spirit of Atlanta

Regional #3 – Atlanta (3 corps changed position from previous regional)

Blue Devils, The Cadets, The Cavaliers

Regional #4 – Allentown (2 corps changed position from previous regional)

Santa Clara Vanguard, Bluecoats

Finals- Indy (3 corps changed positions from previous regional)

The Cadets, Blue Devils, Blue Knights

• Like 1

Wow, I'm glad you were talking about DRUM CORPS!

By the initial thread title, I thought you might be talking about your wife (or she about you). :tongue:

• Like 4

Honestly I didn't expect any and I'll tell you why:

Each corps had strengths and weaknesses and with dci doing a great job of having people judge their sheet and the corps name, it leveled things out. If you're 11th in drums at semis, is it really possible to jump 3/4 spots in one night on the last day?

Not really unless you had a horrific fluke show at semis..,,, and that's rare.

This was the best season for judging in years because there was no evidence of slotting

• Like 1

Wow, I'm glad you were talking about DRUM CORPS!

By the initial thread title, I thought you might be talking about your wife (or she about you). :tongue:

:spitting::whip:

Honestly I didn't expect any and I'll tell you why:

Each corps had strengths and weaknesses and with dci doing a great job of having people judge their sheet and the corps name, it leveled things out. If you're 11th in drums at semis, is it really possible to jump 3/4 spots in one night on the last day?

Not really unless you had a horrific fluke show at semis..,,, and that's rare.

This was the best season for judging in years because there was no evidence of slotting

Heh.

Mike

So let's look at position changes more closely over the season for the Top 12 since you brought up just finals...How does this make you or others feel?

# of Positions Down from 1st Regional to Finals

-3 Cavaliers 1st to 3rd

-3 Madison 8th to 10th

-2 Carolina Crown 2nd to 4th

-1 Bluecoats 6th to 7th

-1 Blue Stars 10th to 11th

# of Positions Up from 1st Regional to Finals

+4 Cadets 4th to 1st

+3 Blue Knights 11th to 9th

+1 Blue Devils 3rd to 2nd

+1 Santa Clara 7th to 6th

+1 Boston 9th to 8th

+1 Spirit 13th to 12th

No change in Position from 1st Regional to Finals

Phantom Regiment 5th

Regional #2 San Antonio (8 corps changed position from previous regional)

Blue Devils, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, Boston Crusaders, Madison Scouts, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Spirit of Atlanta

Regional #3 Atlanta (3 corps changed position from previous regional)

Blue Devils, The Cadets, The Cavaliers

Regional #4 Allentown (2 corps changed position from previous regional)

Santa Clara Vanguard, Bluecoats

Finals- Indy (3 corps changed positions from previous regional)

The Cadets, Blue Devils, Blue Knights

So....except for one move, from 13th to 12th..... the Top Twelve were decided at the First regional. Wow, that actually made me More depressed...

Edited by HockeyDad

So....except for one move, from 13th to 12th..... the Top Twelve were decided at the First regional. Wow, that actually made me More depressed...

This is untrue. While the overall placements ended up consistent, the captions swung wildy from prelims to semis to finals. As a matter of fact, even within EACH night, there were many instances of the GE judges (who were doubled all week) not even being close to each other.

Read all three recaps. This week was as legit as you could get.