Cavaliers And Their Antics

Didn't Les Etoiles do the upside down drumming thing like 15 years ago?

What I find most interesting is when BD was doing all this wacky stuff in 2008, most of DCP was whining and #####ing about it not being proper drill or cheesy. When CC did it in '09 and Cavies did it this year--no problem! Don't get me wrong: I loved both of those shows; I just find the two different standards to be all too obvious.

"Constantly Risking Absurdity" is a beautiful show and my favorite BD show of the past five seasons ... but unfortunately it was (I think) only the second-best show of 2008. And I do like it at least as much as "XtraordinarY" and "The Grass Is Always Greener".

I think if anyone has the clout to do something like this, it's the Cavaliers.

Why does this thread exist? Are you actually trying to get people to criticize this show because they had people playing upside down for brief moments?

Is there no end to the complaining?

Just enjoy the darned show, for crying out loud. There doesn't have to be drama made about every darned thing.

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 1

What I find most interesting is when BD was doing all this wacky stuff in 2008, most of DCP was whining and #####ing about it not being proper drill or cheesy. When CC did it in 09 and Cavies did it this year.....no problem! Don't get me wrong....I loved both of those shows.....I just find the two different standards to be all too obvious.

No one complained about Cavies this year? Or Crown in 09? Are you sure?

In any case, the silliness throughout BD 08 isn't really comparable to a one minute section of Crown 09 or three 10 second moments in Cavies this year.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

I think if anyone has the clout to do something like this, it's the Cavaliers.

This is a perfect sentence that concisely cuts to the core of all of this, IMO.

It just "fits" with the Cavies image.

Another anecdote: A member of Phantom posted a picture montage of him in the tunnel before retreat this year. In every picture, he is standing at attention, not looking at the camera. In every picture, a different Cavalier has walked up beside him and is giving the camera a cheesy smile. Think tourists posing by one of the royal guards in London. The PR player admitted that he was busting his gut laughing on the inside as it was happening, but his face was frozen in seriousness.

I love those pictures. They capture the feel of both corps really well in my opinion, and I think both are good. Phantom is very serious, very rigid, very old school. I like that about them. The Cavaliers are absurdly talented but are also wacky (boys WILL be boys, of course), yet I've never heard a story of them being a-holes with their wackiness. They just look like they're having a blast. And when it's show time, it's show time and they put out a great product. Work hard, play hard.

I think Xtraordinary was a shining example of "Work Hard, Play Hard"

Edited by PhantomCav
  • Like 1

This is a perfect sentence that concisely cuts to the core of all of this, IMO.

It just "fits" with the Cavies image.

Another anecdote: A member of Phantom posted a picture montage of him in the tunnel before retreat this year. In every picture, he is standing at attention, not looking at the camera. In every picture, a different Cavalier has walked up beside to him and is giving the camera a cheesy smile. Think tourists posing by one of the royal guards in London. The PR player admitted that he was busting his gut laughing on the inside as it was happening, but his face was frozen in seriousness.

I love those pictures. They capture the feel of both corps really well in my opinion, and I think both are good. Phantom is very serious, very rigid, very old school. I like that about them. The Cavaliers are absurdly talented but are also whacky (boys WILL be boys, of course), yet I've never heard a story of them being a-holes with their wackiness. They just look like they're having a blast. And when it's show time, it's show time and they put out a great product. Work hard, play hard.

I think Xtraordinary was a shining example of "Work Hard, Play Hard"

Very well put, I agree completely. I cannot remember who or where, but I remember reading a review somewhere, where the reviewer likened The Cavaliers shows to action movies; The action and effects are what take center stage, while the plot isn't as important. And by golly, does it work for them. If anything is to be said about the Cavies, its that they're gonna make you get excited about what you're watching.