Blue Stars vs. Boston for 2012 TOC Spot...

Really?...Has Boston EVER toured on the West Coast? Interesting...

No. I don't believe that they ever have toured there per se, except going out there to Calif. for the DCI Championship that was in Pasadena a couple of years ago.

Edited by BRASSO

The Boston Crusaders brought to their home show this year the Blue Devils and SCV. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that Boston will be heading out to the West Coast to these Corps 2 home shows next year as part of the 2 year deal that was agreed to before this season began. Somebody that is close to Boston can confirm this or tell me I've got it wrong or whatever. If true, it means Boston will be part of a mix of Corps going out early to the West Coast next season no matter what happens with the TOC showcase of 8 Corps.

Interesting very interesting, explains some things to me about this season.

It was actually your post in the other thread that actually got me thinking about this topic. :smile: Because that thread dealt with what was your favorite part of Boston's show I really didn't want to ruin it with this TOC BC vs. BS discussion...

I predict ZERO conflict between Blue Stars and Boston Crusaders over this TOC issue. First, the management of both corps have a positive working relationship, but more imporatantly, it may be largely out of their control in any event. As someone noted above, the "G7" proponents haven't gone away, so this fall's meetings might well be a free for all--all over again. In any event, corps like BAC, BS, Madison and BK proved this year that there is more parity than ever. Look at the finals recaps again.....6th and 7th place corps BOTH lost in various captions to 8th and 9th corps. So, there is NO clear line of demarcation, imo. If you want to have the "supercorps" subset, where do YOU draw the line? Top 3 seems reasonable, but wait...Crown won the first show and top brass at Nats! Ok...then top 4? No, that won't work either, because that space was also ambiguous throughout the season. What about top 5? 6? 7?

In terms of the grouping, what really works? I know. A series of all-inclusive regionals followed by a prelims open to the Open class followed by a top 25 semis and a top 12 finals.

Wait...never mind. :doh:

My thoughts? You used the word rumor three times in your opening statement. Nuff said. Can you point to one single piece of evidence that Blue Stars would retain a TOC spot over Boston, IF they continue the TOC shows?

I am definitely not in the know or have any inkling as to what the "powers that be" will decide. So my answer to you as far as evidence is no I do not have any specific evidence one way or the other. Until anything is decided as far as I know I can only speculate at this juncture. I am not looking to start any trouble. I just thought it was a valid discussion due to the many posts I've read on DCP that had conflicting opinions about this topic.

I will point out though that I do recall early on that there was some discussion of a corps not necessary being removed from the TOC just because of "one" off-year of placement. I seem to recall that there needed to be two or more years for that to happen. In that regard, I think this discussion is valid.

• Like 1

I predict ZERO conflict between Blue Stars and Boston Crusaders over this TOC issue. First, the management of both corps have a positive working relationship, but more imporatantly, it may be largely out of their control in any event.

This is true, but there is a huge difference in money. WC corps get what, $2400 per show in appearance fees? But with the TOC shows the agreement was to split the net evenly between the corps and DCI, so if a show netted $45k, then each corps would get $5000. I have no idea how much these shows might have netted, but given that they took shows like Rockford and NightBEAT and sold them out, I don't think $4-5k per corps is out of the question. And the bigger shows may have netted more.

From the original proposal (which assumed 7 corps instead of 8):

Texas first season 2 show series would generate $100,000 net... $12,500 to DCI, corps would receive $12,500 per corps for the two events.

Spread across seven shows through the season, if these guys were getting double the usual rate from TOC shows (I assume that's the low end of possibilities), that's over $17k more that Blue Stars earned more than Boston this year for basically the same number of shows. That ain't nothin.

Edited by skywhopper

I predict ZERO conflict between Blue Stars and Boston Crusaders over this TOC issue. First, the management of both corps have a positive working relationship, but more imporatantly, it may be largely out of their control in any event. As someone noted above, the "G7" proponents haven't gone away, so this fall's meetings might well be a free for all--all over again. In any event, corps like BAC, BS, Madison and BK proved this year that there is more parity than ever. Look at the finals recaps again.....6th and 7th place corps BOTH lost in various captions to 8th and 9th corps. So, there is NO clear line of demarcation, imo. If you want to have the "supercorps" subset, where do YOU draw the line? Top 3 seems reasonable, but wait...Crown won the first show and top brass at Nats! Ok...then top 4? No, that won't work either, because that space was also ambiguous throughout the season. What about top 5? 6? 7?

In terms of the grouping, what really works? I know. A series of all-inclusive regionals followed by a prelims open to the Open class followed by a top 25 semis and a top 12 finals.

Wait...never mind. :doh:

I don't think there will be any conflict either between these two fine organizations. I will be just as happy whether BAC does a TOC show tour or does not do one for that matter. I enjoyed especially their competition with Madison Scouts and Blue Knights this season. I guess in some respect my judgement is being clouded a bit due to the simple fact that I'm still feeling residual effects of the G7 rub and not in a good way either.

In terms of grouping....years past...I remember the big deal was getting on the PBS TV show...that is where the line used to be drawn anyway...That was considered the Big Show...or at least that's how I perceived it.

Edited by Liahona

Speaking for myself, if Houston is a ToC show again, I won't be going. It was too much money (when I paid the same to see 11-12 corps the previous years) and I only liked a few of the instant encores. It made the show go on waaaaaaay too long. The only other "extra" I really cared for was the mass brass at the end.

• Like 2

This is true, but there is a huge difference in money. WC corps get what, $2400 per show in appearance fees? But with the TOC shows the agreement was to split the net evenly between the corps and DCI, so if a show netted $45k, then each corps would get $5000. I have no idea how much these shows might have netted, but given that they took shows like Rockford and NightBEAT and sold them out, I don't think $4-5k per corps is out of the question. And the bigger shows may have netted more.

From the original proposal (which assumed 7 corps instead of 8):

Texas first season 2 show series would generate $100,000 net... $12,500 to DCI, corps would receive $12,500 per corps for the two events.

Spread across seven shows through the season, if these guys were getting double the usual rate from TOC shows (I assume that's the low end of possibilities), that's over $17k more that Blue Stars earned more than Boston this year for basically the same number of shows. That ain't nothin.

When you look at this from a financial perspective (not competitively)...you are right..this appears to be a REALLY BIG deal...That is a lot of extra money for those organizations...makes a lot of sense in this regard for sure...

Speaking for myself, if Houston is a ToC show again, I won't be going. It was too much money (when I paid the same to see 11-12 corps the previous years) and I only liked a few of the instant encores. It made the show go on waaaaaaay too long. The only other "extra" I really cared for was the mass brass at the end.

I am not much of a fan of mass brass...Give me less horns, but be a smokin' HOT line on G bugles!...lol...I digress...I felt I received a greater perceived value for attending the non-TOC events in Lawrence and Allentown instead of TOC show at the Meadowlands. YEA still made some money from me early season with the Old Bridge show which had all non-G8 corps BTW. It was still an awesome show.