Blue Stars vs. Boston for 2012 TOC Spot...

Well, add the rest of the WC corps (Pioneer, PC, Mandarins and Cascades) plus Gulf Coast Sound, split them between the 2 brackets you made for 2 consecutive nights and you have exactly what the Houston showS were before this last season.

Well, yeah. But i was saying if you wanted to have 8 corps 'highlight' shows with all the 'extra' stuff they added for the TOC shows. You certainly could add more corps from there, but from all reports it sounded like the 8 corps lineup there already made for a long night with all the extra stuff.

That houston show did take a major hit though. I was able to go to it twice, in 07 while on tour and in 09 as a fan, and it was a great venue and a great 2 days of drum corps.

Why not just make it a Top 12 event? One of the privileges of making Finals is that you get to perform with TOC the following season?

Seems like drawing a line in the sand after we've already drawn a line in the sand is kind of pointless.....

• Like 1

Why not just make it a Top 12 event? One of the privileges of making Finals is that you get to perform with TOC the following season?

Seems like drawing a line in the sand after we've already drawn a line in the sand is kind of pointless.....

That would seem to make some sense.

Yeah, the way the TOC shows were structured actually wore me out. There was very little downtime between the corps given the instant encores, the intermission was too short to even attempt getting out and back at Rockford anyway, the shows mostly started late because drum corps fans aren't used to getting in their seats much before showtime.

There *is* value in warm-up corps and hot dog corps... :ph34r:

It's really difficult to find an even balance sometimes with the length of the show. I've been at shows where I felt they should have just skipped an intermission. I've been at others were the intermission I thought was too short and wish it was longer. 17 minutes is not enough time to do anything at all comfortably. I say 35-45 minutes is perfect, but I'd say a line-up of at least 10 corps for that long an intermission would be necessary. This way no corps is a hotdog corps :smile:

If i had options of shows with

Cadets

Cavaliers

Phantom

Bluecoats

Blue Knights

Blue Stars

Glassmen

Academy

Crossmen

and

Blue Devils

Carolina Crown

SCV

Boston

Madison

Spirit

Troopers

Colts

You'd still have some very solid lineups there.

I like your mix...split the Top8 in two groups of four each and then pepper in the rest to round off top 17...Both those shows now look very impressive to me anyway...It's too bad we can't make promoters choose choice A or B only for the entire DCI tour and just have everyone meet up at regional shows.

Another option would be to have 2 shows on the same night approx. 350 miles apart. Have 1,3,5,7,9,and 11 performing in one show and 2,4,6,8,10,and 12 in the other show. Everyone has the opportunity to go to the closest venue or choose which one to attend. Maybe G7 wouldn't want to spread the money out though???

A six corps show with all the encores would be the ideal arrangement.

I think some have forgotten that the original G7 proposal was rejected. The TOC shows that actually took place adopted the show-format ideas of the original proposal, but hardly anything else.

The money and the exclusivity are the key aspects of the proposal - the format is window dressing. Given that the TOC shows are either DCI or corps-sponsored, I'd expect that the cartel profit-sharing is still going on.

Edited by skywhopper

Wasn't there a comment from one of the DCI big wigs along the lines of "no one thinks the TOC resolves the issues that were discussed last year"? I think I remember reading this somewhere.

I will not be surprised to see these directors make another attempt to kill off DCI.

Let's not forget the original proposal gave the G7 all of the voting power and killed off the DCI central office.

• Like 1

I hope the Crusaders tell the G8 to take a flying leap......

Do you think Boston will be offered a spot in the elite 8 for the 2012 Tour of Champions or will Blue Stars remain a member of the elite 8? It has been rumored that a corps does not neccessarily LOOSE their elite status by falling out of the Top 8. Is this truth? It has also been rumored that a few "out of the elite eight" years would be needed to advance. Is this truth? It has also been equally rumored or at least from what I've read over this season on DCP that the Tour of Champions is based solely upon the prior year competitive standing from the TOP 8 corps at finals. Is this the truth? Will there even be another Tour of Champions or was this just a one-season experiement?

In my opinion Boston has earned their spot by placing 8th competitively and also their average placement is also a better record than Blue Stars counting both the 2010 and 2011 seasons combined when the TOC began. I honestly have no idea what the powers to be will decide in this matter for 2012, but I feel it should at least be offered to BAC at the very least.

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

Wasn't there a comment from one of the DCI big wigs along the lines of "no one thinks the TOC resolves the issues that were discussed last year"? I think I remember reading this somewhere.

I will not be surprised to see these directors make another attempt to kill off DCI.

Let's not forget the original proposal gave the G7 all of the voting power and killed off the DCI central office.

Right. Most of that was the "future vision" for DCI. But the first step was a "Tour of Champions" for 2011.

Check.