Paid attendance figures for DCI World Championships

It would just be smart business sense for those who are responsible for the decisions made by DCI to evaluate feedback on their product. There are certain corps directors, like Hop, Bob Jacobs from Surf and Chris K. from Madison (and others, I'm sure), who not only follow DCP, but occasionally post on it. Like it or not, DCP provides that feedback, to some degree. I certainly don't think decisions are or should be made solely on DCP content, but I am willing to bet that certain issues were/are looked at more closely because of discussion on DCP.

First and foremost, the sound issues at LOS. If we had gone home quietly after 2009, and just said to ourselves the sound sucks, guess we'll have to live with it for another 9 yrs., do you think anything would have been done? The fact is, based on feedback from its customers, DCI worked with LOS to help the sound-and for those who were there in 2009 and those who were there this year, there IS an improvement to the sound. Second, the fact that shows were less entertaining...the DCI member corps listened, and this season has seen more entertaining shows than we've seen in a while.

Oh I agree with you. It's just that Danielray gets so serious and dismissive of things on here at times, especially if it's historical data used to bolster an opinion. I get that he's all about moving forward, history be darned...

Oh I agree with you. It's just that Danielray gets so serious and dismissive of things on here at times, especially if it's historical data used to bolster an opinion. I get that he's all about moving forward, history be darned...

Agreed that I can definitely be a bit too up my own ### at times... and I am often one a bit critical of DCI, but you've got to give credit where credit is due in this case.

DCI is pulling it out and making some changes that are producing some pretty positive results, especially in such a rough economy. So, rather than splitting hairs about what is paid and what isn't, wristbands, comped, discounted, whatever... or comparing to decades ago... why not just take a step back and acknowledge they are doing some things right... for the right here, right now... enabling an even stronger next season.

Seriously, there were some clear and noticable changes (even in the Fan Network, which I had been critical of... the live stuff started to get better as the season went on...). They're really doing some things right... especially with what they have to work with. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

Edited by danielray

This discussion is entirely silly in the suggestion that DCI is somehow disguising some less-flattering truth....

I don't know why DCI didn't report paid attendance. Maybe they just didn't think it mattered.

This argument might make sense if they reported numbers in down years, but they don't. They've been silent on attendance since 2007 until now.

This argument might make sense if they reported numbers in down years, but they don't. They've been silent on attendance since 2007 until now.

Probably because they've been a lot less since 2007, obviously, with West Coast inflation, venue issues, certain fan's creative issues, etc. Not a huge stretch of the imagination.

Who wants to broadcast bad news blatantly?

Edited by badoo

I don't know "why"....but they are included in reports of total attendance.

Question, is DCI also counting the attendance in the theaters and internet media as well in that figure?