DCI World Class Finals Retreat 2011

Ehhh, are you sure about education solving the issue? The official U.S. Flag code has been presented in this thread and some here still think the Flag is nothing more than a logo, and the the code itself is archaic as well as not necessary.

Once again, the flag code remains in the US code, but is not enforceable. You can set the thing on fire at the Superbowl without any legal recourse.

See also: Texas v. Johnson

• Like 1

Despite the appropriate honors due each individual who gave their life to, or for, their belief set or ideology, the Stars and Stripes is the symbol that we are all Americans, FIRST. E Pluribus Unum.

I couldn't disagree more with your viewpoint of the importance of the American Flag in representing the ideology upon which this country has become the greatest in the history of the world.

Perhaps your living situation more accurately represents your lack of loyalty to the principles of the country and the symbolism that the flag represents.

My living situation does not represent a lack of loyalty to some set of founding principles of a country, as much as it simply articulates the obsolescence of the very concept. I have homes in several countries and most of the time divide even a single week between countries. In each of these places live my family, friends, associates and those familiar to me. Each of these places are my community. Each are equally deserving of my respect and loyalty, not simply those connected to a piece of land through the lottery of birth.

The idea of loyalty to a specific country or government is a concept that has long outlived any usefulness. We are all human. No individual society is any better or worse than any other. We are all equally responsible for the health, safety and well-being of every other human on this planet, regardless of nationality.

Were there a flag that represented this concept, that could probably be one I could get behind... as I am human, FIRST... and am American only when I need to go through the archaic ritual of demonstrating my place of birth in order to cross a border.

Back to the original topic... the choice to display or not display any flags or symbols within the drum corps activity should simply be up to the kids performing, but not some mandatory requirement. If they choose to do this, then they should probably do it in a way that demonstrates a general courtesy or etiquette. If something this minor could possibly distract or detract from the significance of what these kids have accomplished, then it might be best just to skip it.

• Like 4

My living situation does not represent a lack of loyalty to some set of founding principles of a country, as much as it simply articulates the obsolescence of the very concept. I have homes in several countries and most of the time divide even a single week between countries. In each of these places live my family, friends, associates and those familiar to me. Each of these places are my community. Each are equally deserving of my respect and loyalty, not simply those connected to a piece of land through the lottery of birth.

The idea of loyalty to a specific country or government is a concept that has long outlived any usefulness. We are all human. No individual society is any better or worse than any other. We are all equally responsible for the health, safety and well-being of every other human on this planet, regardless of nationality.

Were there a flag that represented this concept, that could probably be one I could get behind... as I am human, FIRST... and am American only when I need to go through the archaic ritual of demonstrating my place of birth in order to cross a border.

Back to the original topic... the choice to display or not display any flags or symbols within the drum corps activity should simply be up to the kids performing, but not some mandatory requirement. If they choose to do this, then they should probably do it in a way that demonstrates a general courtesy or etiquette. If something this minor could possibly distract or detract from the significance of what these kids have accomplished, then it might be best just to skip it.

My point exactly, just more elegantly put. This is a democracy last time I checked.

• Like 2

We had a rather large contingent of Marines (aka "The Commandant's Own" U.S. Marines Drum and Bugle Corps) present that I'm quite sure could have explained it to them and "shown them the ropes".

Yeah I thought of bringing that up BUT I don't think they're always available.

• Like 1

tradition of the flag, just like other traditions, have to change to fit the new era. If I seem off base, please tell me.

THANK YOU!

That's all I was trying to say, before everyone secretly labelled me an "America hater" :rolleyes:

I think that the issue is not one of compulsion or mandate, but rather if the choice is made to display the U.S. Flag it should be done with respect and honor to the code.

Sounds better than my response of "If you're goning to do it, do it right".

Did Honor Guard a bunch of shows to help out in the mid 80s. Including holding the colors when the regular holder had back problems. Lot more goes on there than most people realize, at least I never realized it until I was asked to help. I was in my late 20s with full longish beard standing with two guys who probably in their 50s and/or 60s. Yeah, that was a sight. :blink:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

THANK YOU!

That's all I was trying to say, before everyone secretly labelled me an "America hater" :rolleyes:

The changing of traditions doesn't have to include being sloppy about them. That's all some of us dino's are saying. :rolleyes:

Think about it this way: if all of drum corps ceased to be a place where people were striving for extremely strong performance and artistry and instead mutated into lackadaisical movement and playing, wouldn't you be a bit saddened by that "change" in tradition? That's not change, that's lack of determination. And that's all I and others are trying to say. It's not that hard to incorporate a moment in a drum corps season about how to put forth a truly formed honor guard. It's not going to take up time from rehearsal so much that it impacts finals placement or anything!

I just don't understand the level of venom in some of these posts....on either side. My opinion is that at retreat, it would be nice if drum corps did have an "American Section" for the much the same reason as the National Anthem is sung at all major sporting events...it is tradition. That said, if a corps DOES have the flag out there, it should just be done tastefully and with respect. I have NO issues with that pic of Carolina Crown at retreat. The member holding the flag is at attention and holding the flag with respect. The "guard" with the sabre is doing the same. That's all I ask.

One other thing....I do feel bad for the ONE poster here who seems to think that flag and country have no meaning anymore. That's a very myopic view, imo. He has the right to that view, and it took the sacrifices of men and women over 235 years to ensure that right. He mentioned that he has homes in several different countries. I wonder, how many of those countries are free democracies now due to the sacrifice of American people wearing the American Flag on their shoulder during the last century?

Well, let's see....

My point exactly, just more elegantly put. This is a democracy last time I checked.

When did this happen?; the last time I checked the U.S. was a Republic: "...for the Republic for which we stand...". By the way, this misunderstanding of what the U.S. is all about is a prime example of my position.