Dinosaurs vs. New Kids on the block

LMAO.... and the members from 2008-2011 will be saying "That ain't Drum Corps".

Who knows, maybe some Corps in 2050 will do Tchaikovsky's " 1812 Overture " complete with pyrotechnics in the closer. And maybe some 50-60 year old dinos then will say that they liked it better when Phantom, Boston, etc played it back in the ancient times" without the use of the interfering and unneccesary multi colored pyrotechnics explosions that ( in the dinos view ) tended to drown out the brass line playing ". The newbies in 2050 will probably just chuckle then at the old foggies with these outdated views where the dinos used to like Drum Corps shows better prior to the approval and the subsequent implementation of pyrotechnics useage for DCI Corps competitions.

Edited by BRASSO

Who knows, maybe some Corps in 2050 will do Tchaikovsky's " 1812 Overture " complete with pyrotechnics in the closer. And maybe some 50-60 year old dinos then will say that they liked it better when Phantom, Boston, etc played it back in the ancient times" without the use of the interfering and unneccesary multi colored pyrotechnics explosions that ( in the dinos view ) tended to drown out the brass line playing ". The newbies in 2050 will probably just chuckle then at the old foggies with these outdated views where the dinos used to like Drum Corps shows better prior to the approval and the subsequent implementation of pyrotechnics useage for DCI Corps competitions.

LOL, we forgot about the jet packs. IMO, the only questionable thing is if DC will still be around as human nature is more or less constant. Know at least one poster who used to flame me for not liking changes in DCI shows a few years back. Haven't seen this person on here since and think he/she quit following due to later changes.

OR, as the Boys of 76 found out back in the 70's, when one of the "tubes" falls over on the 50 ( back sideline) and starts shooting fireworks up the 50 into the stands, it's a great imitation of the Keystone Cops

dinos and new kids are all the same .....each just like to go against the grain and wanna be right....lol :tongue:

thats why us few in the middle, which have some of both in us, are right,

• Like 1

thats why us few in the middle, which have some of both in us, are right,

Middle? If you were marching back in the 80's that's not middle. :tongue:

Middle? If you were marching back in the 80's that's not middle. :tongue:

I started in 89. that's the middle.

( cause my dad started in 63, and he said so)

:laughing:

Hmm... may I pose another spin?

People who loved baseball in the early 20th century would still be able to enjoy the game today. Sure, many things have changed: Designated Hitters, batting gloves, domed stadiums, arthro scopic "Tommy John" surgery, astroturf, playing under the lights, using "starter-middle reflief-closer" pitching. But the game has remained essentially the same through the generations.

As someone who grew up thru local feeder Drum Corps and then on Top-12 Drum Corps and still "marches" in an alumni corps, I don't believe the same can be said for the institution of Drum Corps through the years. To many of us, it now only faintly resembles Ol' Skool Drum Corps, having morphed beyond the basic formula.

The notion of a worthy use of time for local youths has morphed to domination by semi-professionals from the college music major ranks. So much for the idea that a corps provides entertainment to a local community, taking pride in its youth?

The use of theatrical props, sound systems, synthesizers amplifiers, band instruments, pre-recorded amplified sound, singing & dancing .. now requires fleets of buses and tractor trailers. Staff now include electrical technicians, huge support staffs for costumes, bull gangs, souvenir sales, multi-multi-million dollar budgets ...

How can a corps rise up from a local scene and make the Top 12, like the Bleu Raiders of 1971?

Sure like some musical programs, but it's hard not to be wistful for my generation who fit everyone on three school buses following an old UPS truck to the next show. I miss anticipating how our rival corps would arrange their M&M to accommodate off-the line and off-the field. I miss the marching rather than dancing, running, tumbling and prancing.

It's not enjoyable enough for me to justify taking time off from work to travel across the country and paying a lot of money on tickets, motels, dining out, and fuel. I have no desire to purchase DCI recordings and DVD's.

Sorry for not falling in line.

Edited by Navillus WP

LOL, then he started 1963 and ended 1978...

You really started before 89 by hanging out in the Hamilton Legion and Harrisburg City Island parking lot. Back when you were young.... but still taller than me.. :huh2:

Edit: When was your Grand Dads years? Privateers right?

Edited by JimF-LowBari