Dinosaurs vs. New Kids on the block

Can I ask you one question.......as a fairly recent marching member....do you enjoy listening to older recordings of drum corps? and also, can you respect what came before you in the activity?

I like watching old Drum Corps but have trouble dealing with the poor quality of the recordings at times.

all of "it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".

In other words, opinions, conjecture, pride, vanity, envy, ignorance, avarice, etc.

In the misinformation age you can find opinions and "facts" to support any belief, point of view, feeling, etc.

You can either get upset by it, ignore it, or accept it for what it is and move on.

Edited by Wadep66

all of "it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".

In other words, opinions, conjecture, pride, vanity, envy, ignorance, avarice, etc.

In the misinformation age you can find opinions and "facts" to support any belief, point of view, feeling, etc.

You can either get upset by it, ignore it, or accept it for what it is and move on.

So, there is only nothingness at the end because facts are fabricated to support any belief; our values are unfounded; existence is senseless; no objective ground for truth; and, you accept this as your world view: (it is called "Nihilism"). How thoughtful of you to point out that you believe this forum is nothing more than futility through a quote from Shakespeare in which Faulkner used to pen a book!

Edited by Stu

Macbeth's soliloquy in act 5, scene 5 of William Shakespeare's Macbeth:

"

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day

To the last syllable of recorded time,

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools

The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

And then is heard no more: it is a tale

Told by an idiot, full of
sound and fury

Signifying nothing."

Edited by RetiredJedi

Ohhh, now I understand the phrase " a turd in the punchbowl" so much more :blink:

Huh? What happened to the quote from Macbeth?

I put it back for ya'. :smile:

Edited by RetiredJedi

I will make myself a dino with this post, but here goes. My dad was old scholl drum corps, he marched in teh 50's and sixties. When I was a kid in the late 70's we went to a 'Competition" (in his book they were all competitions not shows) and saw the Bridgemen. My dad hated them, they kinda strolled intead of marching they didn't have straight lines and gig lines on teh uniforms and the uniforms weren't what he considered uniforms, he thought they were a bunch of kids trying to be pimps. So of course they became my favorite corp. A few years ago i went to a show with my dad and the Bridgemen Alumni were there and he loved them he finally got teh attitude and putting on a show part. they did what was new and inovative 30 years ago but that made them dinos now, apparently my dad liked the same thing now that they are dinos, but didn't like it when they were new. So some who talk about the new things now in a bad manner will probably talkk about teh good old days of 2011 20 years from know when all of todays corp members are dinos trying to relive their glory days.

Just imagine the possibility that in 30-40 years, kids not yet born, will look back at the Blue Devils winning show of last year ( 2010 ) and wonder why all the people of today did not fall completely in love with this show as they should have. The 2010 BD show may take on a cultish following love affair in 30-40 years, similar as the 1993 Star show has taken on today with some of the young. Who knows, maybe in 30-40 years, the newer teenage fans then will wonder why the Corps in 2008-2011 did not use pyrotechnic explosions in their show for appropriate loud sound effects. Then the 15-25 year olders of today that'll be in their 50's and 60's by then will have to explain why Corps were good when pyrotechnics in their view were simply not needed to create excitement and sound effects in a Corps performance back in the good ol' " Glory Days " of 2008-2011. The question then with the dinos will be whether or not they will still be able to enjoy the shows when pyrotechnics or some such are implemented and will they as dinos be able to bite their tonque and not be so damnn old, cranky and critical with the " natural evolutionary changes" that are bound to occur in contrast to what they once liked about the typical Corps show performances back in the ancient times of 2008-2011, when in the dinos view 40 years hence, pyrotechnics were simply not neccessary as it " ruined an otherwise fine show for them" there in the year 2050.... and they wished that the 2050 BD did not win it all in 2050 principally as the result of their new intro of a multi colored pyrotechnic display in their musical finale in competition that year.

Edited by BRASSO

Just imagine the possibility that in 30-40 years, kids not yet born, will look back at the Blue Devils winning show of last year ( 2010 ) and wonder why all the people of today did not fall completely in love with this show as they should have. The 2010 BD show may take on a cultish following love affair in 30-40 years, similar as the 1993 Star show has taken on today with some of the young. Who knows, maybe in 30-40 years, the newer teenage fans then will wonder why the Corps in 2008-2011 did not use pyrotechnic explosions in their show for appropriate loud sound effects. Then the 15-25 year olders of today that'll be in their 50's and 60's by then will have to explain why Corps were good when pyrotechnics in their view were simply not needed to create excitement and sound effects in a Corps performance back in the good ol' " Glory Days " of 2008-2011. The question then with the dinos will be whether or not they will still be able to enjoy the shows when pyrotechnics or some such are implemented and will they as dinos be able to bite their tonque and not be so damnn old, cranky and critical with the " natural evolutionary changes" that are bound to occur in contrast to what they once liked about the typical Corps show performances back in the ancient times of 2008-2011, when in the dinos view 40 years hence, pyrotechnics were simply not neccessary as it " ruined an otherwise fine show for them" there in the year 2050.... and they wished that the 2050 BD did not win it all in 2050 principally as the result of their new intro of a multi colored pyrotechnic display in their musical finale in competition that year.

LMAO.... and the members from 2008-2011 will be saying "That ain't Drum Corps".

And I heard that back in 1975..... think the gripe was about marching bells...