2012 show ideas

Keeping the momentum from this past season, maybe an adaptation of Madama Butterfly might work well for Regiment? :worthy:

Just wait until you see the opener based upon Yuck Mouth. And Then its goes into this crazy dream sequence as being put under with nitrous oxide...first drum break is filled with samples of dental drills and the guard is in smocks spinning giant tooth brushes and dental floss ribbons

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 1

With the passing of Jerry Lieber a couple of days ago (You Ain't Nuthin' But A Hound Dog...and hundreds more), as well as a Motown legend who's name escapes me at the moment, I think Crown should do a Motown show.

The classic Motown band was very well orchestrated, as well as superbly performed. The songs were melodic, with ABA forms, and PLENTY of meat (see the Michael Buble post above...) with which arrangers can grind to form a fine burger of a drum corps book.

and on a related note...

<Lynyrd Stravinsky: The Freebird Suite >

Wow...that IS FUNNY!

I'll say it every year until it happens...

I don't care who, but I want to see a corps taiko drum the living frak out of Bear McReary's Battelstar Galactica soundtrack. For fans in the know, can't you just imagine a pit going ape-sh**t with Prelude to War and the whole corps blowing our faces off with Storming New Caprica and the first third or so of Assault on the Colony?! I'm having a nerdgasm just thinking about it... :drool:

Several years ago, I read a review of Symphony No. 8 that described the work as "music to go out and shoot yourself by."

Everything from Sym #5 on was a lot more subtle in darkness. Sym #4 is pure explicit darkness, white-knuckle, teeth-clenching emotion from note one. It's no wonder he hid it from "the authorities."

Very few pieces make me squirm in my chair, from a darkness perspective: Shosty #4 and #7, Bruckner #8 and #9, Mahler #6 and Prokofiev Scythian Suite. (Some have happy endings tho, lol)

Shosty #8 is dark, too, but it sometimes seems contrived. I will admit, however, that when I first heard it (at age 21..now 47), and the climax of the last movement came around, I said aloud "Holy s4!t, that's intense!" (All low brass,low strings and low winds on the lowest Eb they got,after a big fat Eb minor chord!)

No tease. Actually when I saw the "2012 Show Ideas" topic it triggered a conversation I had with an old alum at one of Crown's 2011 winter camps talking about what music from their past would be worthy of a revisit. When Lee walked by uttering something and (they ALL ride him for being Canadian) my friend said "You wont be happy until they play Rush's 2112". I think he chuckled as he kept on walking. :smile:

to be 100% serious I think it's time for Klesch to write something for Crown. How cool would THAT be.

I've always enjoyed Lee's work even if Canuckian. I think Rush is an awesome vehicle for drumcorps to explore, especially with the electronics. 2112 would be great, and I still say, with the preshow system, Witch Hunt is the perfect drum corps opener, even if not in an all Rush show.

Now, show mea corpswith the balls to tackle La Villa Strangiato well, andI'll show that corps a nice donation and many souvie purchases

I would like to see Spirit revisit Glory from the 1991 show.

I would love to see SCV tackle Interstellar Suite. That screams Rennick tasty beats all over it.

Pink Floyds The Wall

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Goodfellas, complete with the Joe Pesci "Am I funny" rant, unedited :devil:

• Like 1

Good topic: My humble opinions:

I think there is more to mine from Copland. I would like to hear the Cadets or SCV do El Salon Mexico. His 3rd Symphony also presents opportunity because the Cadet's arrangement was way off the mark.

I agree that Shostakovich offers big opportunities. Symph. No 10 has great moments. The BK arrangement was accurate, but it's time for Phantom to do it.

John Adams has lots of room for exploration.

Concert Band pieces have lots of room for exploration, e.g Percy Grainger and successors.

I think jazz has nore limitations because Buddy Rich and Stan Kenton have been done to death. Has anyone considered Toshiko Akyoshi, Maria Schneider, etc.?

Kevin Doherty

Edited by kdoh

Although many of you prefer to live in question on the status of the coming season's shows ideas and titles, I feel no shame nor fault for blowing the big secret for many of the drum corps across the activity. This information comes only from the highest of sources within the locked vaults that are the minds of the design teams of DCI.

Do NOT share this information with anybody.

The Cadets - Between Angles and Demons Part II: An even year's take on an odd year's championship show (womp womb...)

Blue Devils - Whats the point of this title? You won't get it anyways...

Cavaliers - Gimme that Gimmick! A collection of favorite Cavaliers tricks that have mystified audiences for over a decade

Crown - Imma let you finish... - a tribute to the rap music industry and crown's continual unsuccesful pursuit for a championship

Phantom - Into the dark: Life without J.D. Shaw

Vanguard - The angles staircase: It worked for the Cadets!

Boston - Conquest Part XII

Pioneer - Better every, wait, some days...

Glassmen - The Triumphant Return of Glass Place

Crossmen - Overhype me captain!

-the Expert

• Like 5